Shooter: Don’t think Gophers basketball’s 6-9 sophomore Pharrell Payne isn’t going to get mega-NIL offers elsewhere after the season

BleedGopher

Reaction score
Per Shooter:

—Don’t think Gophers basketball’s 6-9 sophomore Pharrell Payne isn’t going to get mega-name, image and license (NIL) offers elsewhere after this season. Remember, 6-6 Andrew Rohde got $450,000 from Virginia to leave St. Thomas for this sophomore season. And Jamison Battle has left the Gophers for his senior season at Ohio State for $200,000.

Go Gophers!!

Let's win this year then deal with it. If Payne has a great season that might happen and perhaps the NIL dollars will loosen for the Gophers. This is reality for every team at this point that has good players. Free agency.

Edey got a million to come back to Purdue....

Per Shooter:

—Don’t think Gophers basketball’s 6-9 sophomore Pharrell Payne isn’t going to get mega-name, image and license (NIL) offers elsewhere after this season. Remember, 6-6 Andrew Rohde got $450,000 from Virginia to leave St. Thomas for this sophomore season. And Jamison Battle has left the Gophers for his senior season at Ohio State for $200,000.

Go Gophers!!
Shooter has made a career out of speculating. ”Don’t be surprised if…..”. Or a little birdie says……”. He’s just a sports gossip columnist.

Shooter has made a career out of speculating. ”Don’t be surprised if…..”. Or a little birdie says……”. He’s just a sports gossip columnist.
Exactly. He makes the same guesses that any of us could make.

Battle didn’t get paid to go to OSU. That is all part of the Ben protection program. He left because he knows something many of us do not want to admit.

can't worry about payne now, this will be normal every year now in this portal and nil era. we have to win, develope players and hope we can offer a competitive all around package to get the guys to stay.
Correct.

With free agency, everything is year to year now, not recruiting class by recruiting class. There's no time to worry about (expected) returnees to the 2024-25 roster until after this season is over.

Correct.

With free agency, everything is year to year now, not recruiting class by recruiting class. There's no time to worry about (expected) returnees to the 2024-25 roster until after this season is over.
Yep....at this point you play out the year and you see what happens in the offseason. Until they get control of the poaching and player movement you really can't project what a roster is going to look like the following year.

Battle didn’t get paid to go to OSU. That is all part of the Ben protection program. He left because he knows something many of us do not want to admit.
He left to get away from Betts' total domination in practice. Jamison was worried that after another year of practicing against Betts, he wouldn't even be able to read or write.

Sh!t, I hope Payne is good enough to have a ton of NIL offers thrown at him. The only thing worse than losing good players to the premier programs is having players so crappy no one wants them.

We can't worry about this now.

Or the players could get a terminal illness, hurt in a car accident, be accused of sexual assault. Or transfer to Wisconsin with an NIL of unlimited cheese and beer! Shooter just throwing speculation out there to see if anything sticks. Let’s just focus on this coming year. I expect big improvement.

SMU Raises $100 Million in a week to join ACC

In addition, prior to this: One collective says it pays SMU football players and men’s basketball players $36,000 each. Leads me to believe they also have more than one collective.

All these NIL numbers are not fictitious. Some yes, but many are real....lots of schools with collectives paying players like this.

He left to get away from Betts' total domination in practice. Jamison was worried that after another year of practicing against Betts, he wouldn't even be able to read or write.
Betts, Christie, Ihnen, Fox...somebody needs to be All Conference for us to get out of the bottom four.

$36 K x 80 scholarship football players and 13 schoLars hip basketball players is over $3.3 million a year. Wouldn’t surprise me if this is true. Now we will see even more overt efforts from the big boys to get players to transfer with promises of big money. It will destroy the sports.

In addition, prior to this: One collective says it pays SMU football players and men’s basketball players $36,000 each. Leads me to believe they also have more than one collective.

All these NIL numbers are not fictitious. Some yes, but many are real....lots of schools with collectives paying players like this.
36k a year doesn’t sound either fictitious or unreasonable.

SMU has one of the wealthiest alumni/fan bases of any school, despite being really small.

SMU has a backing similar to Texas and Texas A&M as far as money goes. Much deeper pockets than any of the other schools in Texas. If the big money donors decide they want a winner in today's world I don't doubt it is going to happen.

Correct.

One reason to exclusively take transfer players would be because they can’t transfer without sitting out a year

SMU has a backing similar to Texas and Texas A&M as far as money goes. Much deeper pockets than any of the other schools in Texas. If the big money donors decide they want a winner in today's world I don't doubt it is going to happen.
And you could buy a good basketball teams much easier than a football team based on numbers alone.

Top Bottom