Shooter: Although Brian Dutcher is loyal to SDSU, the Gophers would be expected to consider him coaching change, which seems likely, after this year

Morale is down here in Gopher purgatory. The afflicted souls demand a change in leadership. Little do they know that a change in leadership will find them complaining just as much as they did 3 coaches ago. It is in their nature.

The interesting part is those with a little hope for next season have already made it out.
Morale is up. It seems people are pretty optimistic about a fresh start in the fall of 2024!

Morale is down here in Gopher purgatory. The afflicted souls demand a change in leadership. Little do they know that a change in leadership will find them complaining just as much as they did 3 coaches ago. It is in their nature.

The interesting part is those with a little hope for next season have already made it out.

The last 3 coaches were all significantly better than this one, literally no one in Gophers history has been worse.

This will easily be the worst team in the B1G again, and replacing Ben with someone like Dutcher would actually give us real hope for the future, unlike the fake hope for the upcoming season.

I’m not one of the people banging the drum for Ben to get fired now, but to this point the last 3 coaches look significantly better than Ben.

I am as optimistic about the Gophers getting coaches as just about anyone on the board. Dutcher is not coming to the U at the twilight of his career. Hell, I can’t even get my son to move away from San Diego.

I am as optimistic about the Gophers getting coaches as just about anyone on the board. Dutcher is not coming to the U at the twilight of his career. Hell, I can’t even get my son to move away from San Diego.
Have you tried offering your son 4 million a year? 😎 He did just get to a national title game, I think we'd lineup to watch that twilight in the barn. Here's to hoping that Ben makes us forget dutcher even exists.

Last edited:

Bob Huggins is available......why not?!?!?!
First team in NCAA history with a Hazelden counselor as assistant coach (Cheap shot on my part. I wish Huggins the best as he finds his way along.).

Seriously, a guess that little bird that visits Charlier every so often delivered another nugget.

Charlie Walters is always speculating off the top of his head. “ Don’t be surprised if….”
Yes, highly speculative. It would be interesting theatre, though, if the Gophers threw a pile of money at him and made him seriously think about it. On one hand, this program is now a fixer-upper, and fixer-uppers are generally not for retirement-age people. On the other hand, Dutcher is exceptional in his energy and vigor at his age.

Nice! Looks like we are getting both Dutcher and Musselman after next season. Do they switch off head coaching duties?
Imagine them merged in a transporter malfunction. Whatever came out the other end would win the national title every year.

Salaries are not an issue. Our athletic department is flush with money.

Just catching up and read the Muss thread and now this one. The biggest frustration is that Muss was a clear choice over Pitino a decade ago and Dutcher was a clear choice over Johnson 2 years ago. Whether either is willing to be the next coach or not, we've made back to back wild hires of very young coaches with little or no head coaching experience and in Johnson's case a history of being associated with unsuccessful teams.

I am not worried about age at all at this point. If anything it's a good thing as it allows for a natural out if (hypothetically) Dutcher both took the job and failed to impress. We wouldnt' be looking at a Monson/Pitino 8 year disaster. College basketball has arguably become a year by year sport now. Rosters turnover quickly and coaches making massive turnarounds in year 1 have become commonplace.

The "U" absolutely has to hire someone with credibility the next time around. If the salary doesn't start with at least a 4...then it hasn't learned its lesson.

Sorry if the following info has been posted. As many (most) of you know, Brian Dutcher recently signed an extension. It carries through the '27-'28 season. Brian will make $2.3 million next year, with raises to $2.7 his final year.

Per the San Diego Union-Tribune, his buyout goes from $3 million under his old deal to $10 million now. His buyout gets lower in the future ($7.8 mil, 5.3 mil, 2.7 mil,) in line to what's guaranteed if fired without cause.

The "Minnesota Clause", the $1 million buyout that applied if Brian decided to leave for the "U" has been taken out. The new buyout applies to everyone.

Sorry if the following info has been posted. As many (most) of you know, Brian Dutcher recently signed an extension. It carries through the '27-'28 season. Brian will make $2.3 million next year, with raises to $2.7 his final year.

Per the San Diego Union-Tribune, his buyout goes from $3 million under his old deal to $10 million now. His buyout gets lower in the future ($7.8 mil, 5.3 mil, 2.7 mil,) in line to what's guaranteed if fired without cause.

The "Minnesota Clause", the $1 million buyout that applied if Brian decided to leave for the "U" has been taken out. The new buyout applies to everyone.

The ship has officially set sail

Well, shit.

When I think of where this program would've been after Year 3 of Brian Dutcher, I'm pretty confident it wouldn't be 15-42 in conference and celebrating the possibility of going .500 this year. Alas, we suffer from the curse of low expectations, so this is what we get.

lol

ZQNsTJB.png

When I think of where this program would've been after Year 3 of Brian Dutcher, I'm pretty confident it wouldn't be 15-42 in conference and celebrating the possibility of going .500 this year. Alas, we suffer from the curse of low expectations, so this is what we get.
this post should be referenced every time someone writes how CBJ has things moving in the right direction.

Top Bottom