Shipley: Fleck’s team is staying out of trouble, graduating and winning. If that’s not enough for you, pay better attention

BleedGopher

Reaction score
Per Shipley:

You might not like P.J. Fleck’s schtick, or believe it’s real. You might find it impossible to defend all of his in-game decision-making, or his radio plea for the regular folks to start buying NIL-sponsored apparel. But in terms of program building, the man is doing his job.

Go Gophers!!

Per Shipley:

You might not like P.J. Fleck’s schtick, or believe it’s real. You might find it impossible to defend all of his in-game decision-making, or his radio plea for the regular folks to start buying NIL-sponsored apparel. But in terms of program building, the man is doing his job.

Go Gophers!!

WOW!

Finally... someone who is willing to tell more than one side of the story, and isn't all about being controversial or outrageous just to chase clicks.

I wish PJ's whole life program would improve the football portion. I do recognize there were more off the field problems with mason-brewster-kill&Claeys.

I wish PJ's whole life program would improve the football portion. I do recognize there were more off the field problems with mason-brewster-kill&Claeys.
Unfortunately it all comes down to winning games, period, despite the off field success

Unfortunately it all comes down to winning games, period, despite the off field success
Everyone wants to see Kelly Leak hit it out of the park. Nobody wants to watch Rudy Stein lean into a pitch and get plunked.

To really, really simplify this... as long as his players continue to hand the football directly to the officials, I'm not jumping out of the boat. Just that one simple act speaks volumes about the young men PJ brings into the program.

I'm not sure I wouldn't be happy tossing Greg Harbaugh out of the boat, though.

it's all nice in theory.

but in real life, a D1 Football coach is not being paid $6-million or $7-million a year to produce good citizens. the coach is being paid to produce a winning program, fill the home stadium, and hopefully generate donations to the school.

A coach can have his players visit every hospital in the US, but if the team goes 3-9 or 4-8 several years in a row, that coach will be fired.

I am NOT saying that Fleck should be fired. But - this was a disappointing season. If he has two or three of those in a row, Fleck will be gone no matter how high the APR is or how many of his players are good citizens.

all the other stuff is fine. but a D1 coach is hired to win football games. that is job #1.

it's all nice in theory.

but in real life, a D1 Football coach is not being paid $6-million or $7-million a year to produce good citizens. the coach is being paid to produce a winning program, fill the home stadium, and hopefully generate donations to the school.
Beat me to it. I was going to say that this isn't a good citizenship team. It's a football team.

I wish we were better too. There is nobody who doesn’t

it's all nice in theory.

A coach can have his players visit every hospital in the US, but if the team goes 3-9 or 4-8 several years in a row, that coach will be fired.

I am NOT saying that Fleck should be fired. But - this was a disappointing season. If he has two or three of those in a row, Fleck will be gone no matter how high the APR is or how many of his players are good citizens.

all the other stuff is fine. but a D1 coach is hired to win football games. that is job #1.
I don’t think anyone really disagrees with you

Fortunately the team hasn’t gone 3-9 or 4-8 years in a row. Or even ever since Jerry Kill was the coach.

To be honest, the Gophers aren't winning - present tense. But they have won, and Fleck deserves a lot of credit for the past few years.

I don’t think anyone really disagrees with you

Fortunately the team hasn’t gone 3-9 or 4-8 years in a row. Or even ever since Jerry Kill was the coach.

Everybody is disappointed in this season.

It is one season out of seven. Look at the entire body of work. Compare to previous Gopher coaches.

There's no denying that after one 5-7 season, it has become obvious to some people here Fleck simply isn't a good coach. In the end, I hope the people who actually make decisions at the U aren't so short-sighted as some Gopher fans.

Bud Grant used to say that coaches are hired to be fired. That's almost always been proved to be true. The day may come when it's time to move on from Fleck.

We're not there yet. Let's see how he responds to some real adversity.

Top Bottom