Shama: Voices Need to Speak up for College Football Parity

The NCAA keeps having their rules shot down by the courts.
Right. The courts don't want us to have good sports. Sports fans are overwhelmingly against their agenda. It's no surprise that this all started in the California court system.

Once again, I'm assuming this is a joke.
It's amazing to me how people really are like sheep. The old saying is definitely true. They go along with everything they're told by the media.

Paying & bribing-away kids to play on college football teams....any sane person years ago would have thought this is a joke.

One way to level the playing field is to wake the woke by reminding them how huge is sport's carbon footprint. If they are truly climate warriors they would push for the end to all intercollegiate sports.
That's what's happening right now. They're trying to ruin FB and men's BB.

This whole thread is whiny and embarrassing to Gopher fans. We are a historic program in one of the two premier conferences. We are the only D1 team in a State that ranks in the top half of States in terms of population. We have a large metro area to recruit from and an enormous (and I'm guessing relatively high-earning) alumni base to fund from. Adapt or die.

"I don't like the way the world works!"
How about "Stand for something or live for nothing."

Adapt or die...sounds like assimilation.

If the NFL were run like college football is, the Superbowl winner would get the first 10 draft picks, the runner up would get the next 10, the NFC and AFC runner ups would get the next ten and so on until the bottom 10 teams would get no picks and would have to rely on UDFA and trades. The NFL would fail within a few years. This is College football's fate. The NFL will have to ony up and create a true minor league system and so on....

You can’t mandate parity. NIL is a bad idea. Saban, Day, and a host of other coaches have come out against it. Lots of money supporting a program doesn’t guarantee success. How did that work out for TAMU? Give a 19 year a pile of money and what could go wrong?

Anything can be killed if you don't feed it. Anything. Don't watch or attend any of the games that involve a Blue Blood in any sport. Literally boycott them. Let the stadium be 1/4 full when Ohio State comes to town. Screw that team. Screw Michigan. Turn your TV off or to a different game when Duke plays Michigan State and Kentucky plays Kansas in hoops (Just happened.). Tell everyone you know to boycott watching the blue bloods. Have them tell everyone they know to do it. If they are an alum or fan of a Blue Blood obviously don't bother. But everyone else, cumulatively, could do legit damage by boycotting when a Blue Blood is involved.

How many years are Michigan and Ohio State going to win the Big 10 in football? Kansas the Big 12 in hoops? How many SEC teams are going to make the CWS next year, 7 or 8? It will go on forever unless there is an organized national push back against what is going on. The greed is unhinged and getting way worse.

Is Alabama going to win 30 more National Titles in football in the next 50 years? Georgia 10 straight (Certainly have a chance to get to 3 already this season...)? Just plug in Jon Scheyer at Duke for Coach K, without any head coaching experience, and his early returns seem to imply that he'll be recruiting at an even higher level than Coach K? That is silly. It has gotten so ludicrous, stale, and boring.

The joke is on us if we continue to support it with our eyeballs and $$$.

I haven't missed watching the Blue Bloods pound teams in all sports one bit. It is so incredibly boring year after year. I watch the Mountain West if I want to watch other football games besides the Gophers and it is actually pretty good entertainment! Ha ha

Starve it is the only way.
You forgot to mention tilting at windmills with wooden swords.

You can’t mandate parity. NIL is a bad idea. Saban, Day, and a host of other coaches have come out against it. Lots of money supporting a program doesn’t guarantee success. How did that work out for TAMU? Give a 19 year a pile of money and what could go wrong?

Of course they did. The previous system was working perfectly for them. NIL represented change and the possibility of other programs rising up and challenging the established programs.

All it takes is a NIL sugar daddy or 2 willing to exchange money for program access to completely change a football program.

They were also in complete control of their programs. With NIL, along with the portal, players have much more power. Coaches don't like that.

They’ve been good for 30 years
True. Also true that Nike started supporting them in the late-80's. They've had 20 9+winning seasons since '94. 13 seasons of 10+. A very good record.

Before then you have to go back to 1948 for their last 9 win season.

Big money, like a solid record of winning, does help.

True. Also true that Nike started supporting them in the late-80's. They've had 20 9+winning seasons since '94. 13 seasons of 10+. A very good record.

Before then you have to go back to 1948 for their last 9 win season.

Big money, like a solid record of winning, does help.
I’d agree with that.

Top Bottom