Shama: U QB Decision Won’t Be This Week

BleedGopher

Reaction score
U QB Decision Won’t Be This Week

Fans will attend the Gophers' annual spring football game on Saturday focused on the competition for the starting quarterback job, but don’t expect a commitment from coach Tim Brewster over the weekend.

“I will announce the starting quarterback probably within two weeks after the spring game, and (also) the captains,” Brewster told Sports Headliners.

The Gophers end spring practices with Saturday’s game at TCF Bank Stadium (1:30 p.m. start). Brewster said his staff has “charted every throw and charted every decision” of quarterback candidates Adam Weber, MarQueis Gray and Moses Alipate.

The decision of who will be No. 1 going into August practices and presumably be the starter on September 2 at Middle Tennessee State will “sort itself out,” according to Brewster who gave no hint whether his guy will be Weber, Gray or Alipate. The guess here is that it will be Weber, mostly because of his considerable advantage in experience and leadership (he was a captain last season as a junior).

Weber has been a three year starter (52 career touchdown passes) and a smart quarterback. Gray, now a sophomore, didn’t dazzle last year with his knowledge of the offense and is still playing catch up. Alipate was a redshirt freshman last year and unlike Weber and Gray doesn’t have Big Ten game experience.

Watch Weber on Saturday to see if he’s still short arming passes into the ground. That was a problem last fall as he stumbled through the worst passing season of his college career, throwing more interceptions (15) than touchdown passes (13). Offensive coordinator Jedd Fisch reportedly wanted different throwing mechanics from Weber. That didn’t seem to help Weber's performance, and for sure he sometimes looked bad throwing the ball because of pass receivers who didn’t run correct routes and his offensive line offered phantom protection.

Much was asked of Weber in the Gophers offense during the last three seasons but Brewster is setting some guidelines about expectations for his starter in 2010. “We don’t want our quarterback to have to carry the load,” Brewster said. “The basic premise we want to live off is we have to run the football.”

Under new offensive coordinator Jeff Horton the Gophers will use a pro style offense. Sometimes there will be two backs in the backfield, other times one. But Brewster said despite the emphasis on developing a rushing game, the Gophers will probably be in the shotgun formation 40 percent of the time next season.

The quarterback job will likely go to either Weber or Gray, and both have running ability. Brewster expects his quarterback to create opportunities including with his “feet.” But the Gophers won’t rely on option plays for the quarterback and Brewster emphasizes that the mission of his offense is to become a “physical” attack, often featuring multiple tight ends and frequently running behind the blocking of fullback Jon Hoese who Brewster describes as a “really good football player.”

The Gophers offense, Brewster said, will be “tailback oriented.” That means one of three incoming freshmen, or returnees Duane Bennett or DeLeon Eskridge, will be the starter. Brewster has high hopes for freshmen Lamonte Edwards, Donnell Kirkwood and Devon Wright.

The coach sees improvement this spring from Bennett and Eskridge, both juniors. Neither ran for 400 yards last season on a Gophers offense that ranked last in rushing for Big Ten Conference games, 97.1 yards per Saturday. “They’re both bigger, stronger, (and) both seem to be a step quicker,” Brewster said.

Don’t be too quick to judge the quarterbacks, running backs or others in the spring game. Competing against your teammates doesn’t guarantee future results. Review last spring’s game when Gray looked like a Terrelle Pryor clone and wide receiver/runner/kick returner Troy Stoudermire did a terrific Percy Harvin impersonation. During the 2009 season neither Gray nor Stoudermire, now a junior, were high impact players.

Maybe they will be in 2010, though. They’re two of the Gophers best potential playmakers, fast and gifted, able to run and catch the football. If Gray isn’t the starting quarterback (and don’t discount the possibility) he probably will become a utility player, seeing time at receiver and spot duty at quarterback.

For now Brewster isn’t making a final judgment on Weber, Gray and Alipate but that doesn’t lessen his optimism. “I feel very comfortable. I’ve got a great feeling about the fact we have one older and two younger quarterbacks,” Brewster said. “We’re going to be in good shape.”

http://www.shamasportsheadliners.com/

Go Gophers!!

IMO this means Moses' spring has been totally amazing.

A week ago he said there would be no clear #1 following Spring. What's happened in the last week that's changed this? After the first couple practices, no much has been reported.

Did he just call weber a smart QB? His int:td ratio last year sure disagrees. He takes to long to make reads, when does make a read its usually the wrong one because he is flustered and as a result of this he has become gunshy and holds on to the ball entirely too long. A smart QB identifies the opportunity and takes it when it is given.

I think the most intriguing portion was "But Brewster said despite the emphasis on developing a rushing game, the Gophers will probably be in the shotgun formation 40 percent of the time next season."

Wasn't the supposed death knell for Gray's chance of starting the fact that he does not operate as well under center?

I'm just reading into this what I want to read into this, but I found it interesting non the less.

If Horton takes the reins off Weber and lets him run when he needs to this fall, he will be less terrible.

Still terrible, just less so.

If Horton takes the reins off Weber and lets him run when he needs to this fall, he will be less terrible.

Still terrible, just less so.

Agreed...last year when he did run, or got flushed out, he looked much more tentative than his first two years. I hope to be there to witness the spring game, after "coaching" 4 - 5 year olds in t-ball. Ugh.

I think the most intriguing portion was "But Brewster said despite the emphasis on developing a rushing game, the Gophers will probably be in the shotgun formation 40 percent of the time next season."

Wasn't the supposed death knell for Gray's chance of starting the fact that he does not operate as well under center?

I'm just reading into this what I want to read into this, but I found it interesting non the less.
I noticed this too. Favors Gray a lot, however I have a feeling it'll be a 2-QB system.

AW's skillset is probably not run after 1st, 2nd checkdown.

Top Bottom