Shama: U Not Alone in Big Ten Rosters Shuffle

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Shama:

University of Minnesota basketball fans are alarmed to see eight players with remaining eligibility announce this winter and spring they won’t return for next season. While Minnesota’s total is worthy of headlines, other Big Ten schools have rosters in limbo, too.

Watching underclassmen opt for the NBA has for a long time changed the status of offseason rosters. More recently the NCAA has made it easier to transfer from one school to another, with this year even college seniors granted another season of eligibility. The transfer portal for men’s basketball has over 1,200 players interested in leaving their programs.

Alex Bozich, from Insidethehall.com, summarized the status of Big Ten rosters in a story Monday. He presented a long list of players who either could be or are in transition at the 14 Big Ten programs, including defending champion Michigan where stars Isaiah Livers and Franz Wagner are undecided about the NBA. At Wisconsin Nate Reuvers, from Lakeville North, is in the transfer portal, while Brad Davison, from Maple Grove, is undecided about a return to Madison.

Bozich reports the Gophers, along with Penn State having seven players leaving that program, lead the conference in roster departures. Both Minnesota and Penn State have new coaches in Ben Johnson and Micah Shrewsberry. And that offers insight about the upheaval at their schools.

Go Gophers!!

I don't think every year is going to be this crazy.

It's a combination of circumstances - covid - extra year of eligibility - and everyone anticipating the NCAA passing the rule that allows everyone one "free" transfer.

So, this year might set a record for the portal. After that, I think it will settle down some. Of course, you will still see activity for grad transfers, but not as much for undergrad transfers.

I don't think every year is going to be this crazy.

It's a combination of circumstances - covid - extra year of eligibility - and everyone anticipating the NCAA passing the rule that allows everyone one "free" transfer.

So, this year might set a record for the portal. After that, I think it will settle down some. Of course, you will still see activity for grad transfers, but not as much for undergrad transfers.

A couple of years ago, the transfer portal ran somewhere between 700 and 800 players. It almost up to 1400 now and should top that mark. I don't know whether it will go above 1500. New transfers have slowed down considerably and you're seeing more commits than new transfers these days.

I think the numbers will drop some after this year but I don't think the numbers go back to the 700 to 800 figure of a couple of years ago. They'll likely implement that one-time transfer rule and you will have players opting to play an extra year for a few years after this one unless schools decide that they aren't going to fund scholarships for optional years.

I would say referring to Gach as a “noteworthy” returnee is a stretch.

I have always thought that if coaches can leave when it suits their career objectives and schools can fire coaches that are nor performing or are corrupt that players should have the same unencumbered right to transfer.
They are not serfs tied to an estate.

Top Bottom