Shama: U Basketball Ticket Sales Hold Steady

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Shama:

As of last Wednesday, public season ticket sales for University of Minnesota men’s basketball were approaching last year’s total of 5,666. An information request to the U by Sports Headliners generated various ticket sales numbers including that the sale for 2022-2023 public season tickets was at 5,517.

The number of public season tickets accounts for 2021-2022 was 1,908, compared to last week’s total of 1,857 for the coming season. There is no change from last year in pricing of public season tickets.

As of last week, University student season tickets totaled 2,138 and had surpassed last year’s 2,096.

There is positivity among fans about second-year head coach Ben Johnson and optimism regarding his recruiting and transfers. The Gophers’ 2023 recruiting class has two hyped players who have verbally committed, center Dennis Evans from Riverside, California and guard Cameron Christie of Rolling Hills, Illinois. Recruiting authority 247Sports rates Evans the fourth best center prospect in the 2023 national recruiting class and Christie the 23rd best shooting guard. This season’s team features North Carolina transfer forward Dawson Garcia who was a McDonald’s All-American playing at Prior Lake High School.

Minnesota has an exhibition game at Williams Arena Wednesday night against St. Olaf (tickets $6 to $16) and then opens its regular season schedule with a nonconference game against Western Michigan November 7. Asked about possible sellouts this season at 14,625 seat Williams Arena, the U ticket report document speculated the February 12 Iowa game and March 5 Wisconsin game might do so.

The Gophers’ overall record last season was 13-17. In Big Ten games Minnesota finished with a 4-16 record and tied for last place with Nebraska in the 14-team conference.

The outlook for the upcoming season is the Gophers will be an improved team but forecasters still have them finishing among the bottom group in the Big Ten. Minnesota’s Big Ten and NCAA Tournament records the last several years has impacted fan support. Dating back to the season 2017-2018 season the Gophers’ conference record is 31-67. Minnesota qualified for one NCAA Tournament during that time, splitting two games in 2019.

Home attendance has been declining for years. About 15 years ago public season tickets totaled over 9,000.

The pandemic prevented fans from attending games for the 2020-2021 season, but the three prior years the public season ticket totals were as follows: 5,944 (2019-2020), 6,155 (2018-2019) and 6,524 (2017-2018).

The average attendance of 10,267 last season was the second lowest since 1970-1971 (8,395). The 2019-2020 average was 10,232.

Go Gophers!!

so 1,857 season ticket accounts and 5,517 total season tickets sold. that is an average of 2.97 tickets per account.

it would be interesting to see a demographic breakdown on ticket accounts to see which age groups are buying the tickets. I assume the U has that info, and hopefully is using it in its marketing efforts.

so 1,857 season ticket accounts and 5,517 total season tickets sold. that is an average of 2.97 tickets per account.

it would be interesting to see a demographic breakdown on ticket accounts to see which age groups are buying the tickets. I assume the U has that info, and hopefully is using it in its marketing efforts.
You know what they say about ASSuME, right? :p

zip code would be interesting too

Speaking of tickets....how is the ticket application THIS bad after how many years? Earlier in the season the site was down on the day of one of the football games. Trying to get my tickets for tomorrows game transferred and it's been down all morning.

Paciolan sucks.

Agree the demographics would be interesting. Guessing that it is mostly gray hairs like myself. Makes those seats between the baselines difficult to get…

Never heard of Rolling Hills. Ive Heard of Rolling Meadows where Cameron Christie is from.

Top Bottom