Shama: Tommies’ Hoops Future Looks Bright, could eventually go to Big East

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Shama:

Ten years from now on Selection Sunday there might be Minnesotans other than Gophers fans sitting in front of televisions to learn where their men’s basketball team is headed in the famous NCAA Division I Tournament. St. Thomas, as a member of the Big East Conference, might be in line for an invitation to the Big Dance, too.

As of today, the Tommies are a long way from membership in the prestigious Big East, but this scenario could have more credibility than you think. The Division III Tommies are optimistic about an NCAA vote this spring allowing them to jump to Division I status starting in the 2021-2022 school year. Most of the St. Thomas sports, including men’s and women’s basketball, are likely to compete in the mid-major level Summit League whose nine members are Denver, North Dakota, North Dakota State, Omaha, Oral Roberts, Purdue Fort Wayne, South Dakota, South Dakota State and Western Illinois.

The switch to Division I status will be expensive but St. Thomas is a school with deep pockets and generous donors. The Tommies will also count on the men’s basketball program becoming a profit center. As a mid-major, the Tommies will be looked at in their early Division I years as “cannon fodder” for major conference teams, and many of them in leagues like the ACC and Big Ten pay large guarantees to easy opponents. Six-figure paydays from programs like Duke, Michigan State and Kansas will ease the financial burden (including scholarships) of going Division I for St. Thomas.

Home crowds in St. Paul for the Tommies are likely to be small in the initial years of men’s Division I basketball, but eventually school leaders could build an on-campus arena seating about 8,000 to 10,000 fans. Such a facility, combined with an improving and competitive basketball roster, and a home in the Big East Conference, would help fulfill the St. Thomas vision to establish the school in the same image as nationally known Catholic schools like Marquette and Villanova.

St. Thomas president Julie Sullivan wrote about the Division I process in an October, 2019 article on the school’s website last fall. “This decision is about more than athletics – it’s about advancing our vision to be a leading Catholic university recognized at the national level. An important outcome of increasing St. Thomas’ visibility, for example, is an ability to attract a more geographically diverse cross section of students who are accomplished in and out of the classroom.

“This additional representation would add value to classroom discussions, campus life, co-curricular activities and virtually every aspect of St. Thomas while providing St. Thomas with the opportunity to extend the reach of our mission and impact. The presence of Division I sports teams will also build on the strong Tommie fan loyalty and provide the campus and alumni with more engaging fan experiences.”

The caliber of high school basketball in the state of Minnesota has been impressive for years, and still seems to be trending upward. The Gophers have frequently blundered acquiring their share of the talent, consistently seeing top players attend schools far and wide, including the Wisconsin Badgers who tied for the Big Ten championship this year with Minnesotans playing key roles.

With the arrival of St. Thomas in Division I, the Gophers will no longer be the only program in the state with that status. Word is St. Thomas is already showing interest in younger high school players whose college years will match the launch of the Tommies D I debut in the Summit League.

Go Gophers!!

And just where are they going to get the money to support that type of program? St. Thomas may be able to compete with SD and ND for players, but that is still a long way off.

And just where are they going to get the money to support that type of program? St. Thomas may be able to compete with SD and ND for players, but that is still a long way off.

Ever go to Best Buy? Richard Schulze is on the UST Board of Governors. He has already given $50 million.

Let's go snag Johnny Tauer (Their Head Coach) before they jump us in a couple years. That's a joke with a little bit of concern.

This could be a fun game coming up for years to come though. I hope they can work out a yearly non-conference game between Gophs & Tommies.

St. Thomas to the Big East seems like a long way out, if ever.

More competition for those one-trick pony walk-on Minnesota prep players that Shama claimed a few weeks ago could be the key to better results on the court for the Gophers.

Ever go to Best Buy? Richard Schulze is on the UST Board of Governors. He has already given $50 million.
For just the BB program? To be competitive in the Big East you are talking about yearly operating costs in the range of $7 million. That doesn’t even count upgrading the facilities. St Thomas has a lot of successful alumni, but a majority of the school donations go to support undergraduate tuition. At least that is what they say when they call me every year.

Let's go snag Johnny Tauer (Their Head Coach) before they jump us in a couple years. That's a joke with a little bit of concern.

This could be a fun game coming up for years to come though. I hope they can work out a yearly non-conference game between Gophs & Tommies.

St. Thomas to the Big East seems like a long way out, if ever.

I have no doubt Johnny Tauer would be successful at anything he did. If the Gophers hired him (they won't), I know it would come with a tremendous amount of backlash and rightfully so, but the guy is just a really good basketball mind and an awesome person. His family is a really big part of the Cretin basketball community, his dad is a legendary youth basketball coach.

Honestly, I'd take him. I think successful people can often translate that success into completely different avenues (Div. 3 to Div. 1).

As I've said in the other threads on UST: institutionally it is very close to Marquette. Size wise and money wise. And obviously it is the correct fit of being Catholic.

If they either build a new arena in the nine-figures area, or they play games at Target or Xcel, then I think it makes a ton of sense for them to be in the Big East.

Market potential is huge. Twin Cities is a pretty decent Catholic market, like St Louis, Cincy, and so on.

And it could be fun for Minnesota v UST to evolve into something like Wisc v Marquette.

And it could be fun for Minnesota v UST to evolve into something like Wisc v Marquette.
More like Duke vs UNC considering the campus vicinities and hopefully the quality!

I have no doubt Johnny Tauer would be successful at anything he did. If the Gophers hired him (they won't), I know it would come with a tremendous amount of backlash and rightfully so, but the guy is just a really good basketball mind and an awesome person. His family is a really big part of the Cretin basketball community, his dad is a legendary youth basketball coach.

Honestly, I'd take him. I think successful people can often translate that success into completely different avenues (Div. 3 to Div. 1).
He's been fantastic for St. Thomas I know and have read a couple great stories about his background and who he is as a person. I'd think he's worth the interview but you're right there would for sure be backlash and hard to imagine Coyle making that decision.

I'd be good with it if he was the guy they brought in. It is a big transition though. A lot more recruiting and being on the road away from family. 24/7 job. Though St. Thomas is also going D1 here so he'll be getting a lot more into that anyway. Probably will do a lot of local recruiting around the midwest though.

Sports has not been the focus of Schultz foundation money and I highly doubt he would put up eight figure donations for sports. There are others in the UST donor community who have pushed the D-1 agenda who have (had before last week) assets to make big gifts for facilities for sports, but eight figure donations seems really high to me. The largest campaign ever there was $500 million. It is a myth that St. Thomas has an endless list of donors with more money than God.

Sports has not been the focus of Schultz foundation money and I highly doubt he would put up eight figure donations for sports. There are others in the UST donor community who have pushed the D-1 agenda who have (had before last week) assets to make big gifts for facilities for sports, but eight figure donations seems really high to me. The largest campaign ever there was $500 million. It is a myth that St. Thomas has an endless list of donors with more money than God.
Especially right at this time. Huge issues in our own athletic department related to finances. Donors all over the college landscape hurting right now.

Per STrib today, Summit League commish is still working hard on St Thomas's behalf to get the NCAA to approve a pathway direct from DIII to DI, for any school meeting criteria. They're still scheduled to vote on it this month.

My speculation: could perhaps see some deep pocketed DIII schools (UChicago, Johns Hopkins, etc.) take a look at DI, if it goes forward.

Per STrib today, Summit League commish is still working hard on St Thomas's behalf to get the NCAA to approve a pathway direct from DIII to DI, for any school meeting criteria. They're still scheduled to vote on it this month.

My speculation: could perhaps see some deep pocketed DIII schools (UChicago, Johns Hopkins, etc.) take a look at DI, if it goes forward.

A lot of assumptions on St. Thomas and they haven't even been approved for the wait time waiver yet. There are no guarantees. There is still a chance they end up in the Summit League without a shot at the tournament for four or whatever years the transition period usually is.

I highly doubt many schools are looking at increasing sports budgets in the current environment, but if Chicago comes back, we should welcome them back to the B1G! My curmudgeonly father would say after every loss and bad season that Gophers should "Just go the way of the University of Chicago."

I don't think UChicago has any desire to return to the Big Ten. Nor Johns for that matter, which has a grandfathered exemption to sponsor full-scholarship DI lacrosse and plays that sport in the Big Ten.

But going up to DI, perhaps in a low-major, might be something that appeals to them?

Top Bottom