Shama: Student tix 2,777, stark contrast to prior yrs; season tix down 22% since 2015

Concur. We were not keeping up with the students that day but I'm certainly guilty of generating fog in the noggin in the almost 15 years since...

As an aside since my error has kept this going...when we returned to the minivan after the game every single horizontal inch of vehicle had an empty beer/liquor bottle, can, or cup on it. Literally the vehicle was a mobile recycling and trash platform. Students were all around to see our reaction. The owner was not happy but maintained. It was quite the sight. As we were cleaning it up a few students joined in. They advised us to park on the other side of the lot the next time...or at least let IU win.

Sounds awesome! I've heard great things about the pregame scene in Bloomington and campus in general. Wish we played down there more often.

Sounds awesome! I've heard great things about the pregame scene in Bloomington and campus in general. Wish we played down there more often.

Wish Indiana was in the West, and probably so do they!

Someone else can have Nebraska.

Holy fact check Los V! And Word offers a reasonable alternative with Illinois and Purdue.

Gave Brewster credit he did not warrant (and I do not want to contribute to any grade inflation for his tenure). It was Indiana but under Coach Mase in 2005. Gophers took that one 42-21.

Guess I lost some brain cells that day too... Correction noted and appreciated.

The words "Brewster" and "win" used together will send up red flags every time.

He's in charge of the department, and has been for almost three and a half years. At some point he has to own the problem.

Attendance has always been a problem long before Coyle. You think we would get sellouts if we hired some better AD? I don't think it would matter who the AD is whether they be from Bama, OSU or any other top school, our attendance would still be putrid. The problem is much greater than the AD.

Attendance has always been a problem long before Coyle. You think we would get sellouts if we hired some better AD? I don't think it would matter who the AD is whether they be from Bama, OSU or any other top school, our attendance would still be putrid. The problem is much greater than the AD.

It has dropped pretty noticeably in the last 3 years, both in announced (sold) and actual attendance. 15,000+ per game drop since 2015.

http://www.startribune.com/universi...-among-steepest-declines-in-nation/501108962/

Good point.

The bugaboo for Coyle is, not just bringing the fans back, but ensuring the revenue stays at least close to the same. <b>He can't go to the CFO for the TC campus and say "attendance is up 25%, but revenue is down 35% <b>since we got rid of the scholarship donations and higher pricing". That won't fly.

Can you share your math please?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Can you share your math please?

X = attendance (in the sense of tickets sold)
Y = average revenue per ticket sold

Current revenue = X*Y
Hypothetical attendance up 25%, revenue down 35% = 0.65*X*Y = Xup*Ydown = 1.25*X*Ydown --> Ydown = 0.65/1.25 *Y = 0.52*Y

And so, 25% more tickets sold, with average revenue per ticket down 48%. Indeed, multiply 125% by 52% and it gets you to 65% of the revenue.

Last edited:

The big hike in season tickets was a big mistake - for me it now comes out at $90/game. A dad taking wife and one child would be a $270 one-day event. That isn't likely to happen more than once year. The blue collar folks in our section all dropped out after the price hikes, as did people who had bought tickets for small children. The U made a huge blunder in an age when all games are on flat-screen home TVs.

It has dropped pretty noticeably in the last 3 years, both in announced (sold) and actual attendance. 15,000+ per game drop since 2015.

http://www.startribune.com/universi...-among-steepest-declines-in-nation/501108962/

We also just had our highest announced attendance since 2016 and that was a Thursday night game against SDSU. A big reason for that was Coyle's doings ($10 flash sale, free tickets for all freshman) as well as how Fleck finished the year last year who was hired by Coyle.

Again, attendance probably would have dropped regardless of who we hired as an AD as Coyle inherited the huge price hikes that Teague instituted. And the last two years were rebuilding years for the program with low expectations and the year before that, Coyle's first year, we were coming off a 5 win regular season.

The big hike in season tickets was a big mistake - for me it now comes out at $90/game. A dad taking wife and one child would be a $270 one-day event. That isn't likely to happen more than once year. The blue collar folks in our section all dropped out after the price hikes, as did people who had bought tickets for small children. The U made a huge blunder in an age when all games are on flat-screen home TVs.

What's even more frustrating is that a majority of people on this site called it exactly at that time and were repeatedly told by the administration
"Not to worry. The demand for those tickets is there! If someone drops, we have plenty of people waiting to take them" What hogwash. A completely preventable situation.

Dont let facts get in the way of a good story.

I'm not sure what facts you're looking at in that article, but I see this:

Only three years ago, with a home schedule that included TCU, Nebraska and Wisconsin, the average announced attendance was 52,355, all but filling the stadium that whole season (2015).

I'd say attendance HAS dropped noticeably from 52,355 per game.

That season also had #15 Michigan at home. That was the infamous game where we couldn’t plunge it in on the goal line for the win, Jerry Kill has retired and Claeys staff took up most of the remaining time with a weird formation shift that didn’t work.

BUT, over 50k came out for the Kent State and Ohio U non-conf games. That is pretty impressive, relative to today.

Poster's comments were directed at the post I responded to, not my post.

That season also had #15 Michigan at home. That was the infamous game where we couldn’t plunge it in on the goal line for the win, Jerry Kill has retired and Claeys staff took up most of the remaining time with a weird formation shift that didn’t work.

BUT, over 50k came out for the Kent State and Ohio U non-conf games. That is pretty impressive, relative to today.

Yes, we had the extra stands for the Vikings that year, which is how the average attendance got to be larger than the normal stadium attendance. That was coming off a New Year's Day bowl game and a great home schedule. But it also included the first installment of scholarship seating. A second installment of scholarship seating and a disappointing 2015 season killed attendance in 2016 and since.

A while back someone posted the drop in season tickets from the last year without scholarship seating through last year. I'd like to see that again. It was something like 32,000 season tickets down to 22,000. (Don't quote me on that.) But it's a huge drop, and trying to fill an extra 10,000 seats per game -- and 20,000 total (after you add students and visitor allotments) -- is no easy task. Especially in November.

Current revenue = X*Y
Hypothetical attendance up 25%, revenue down 35% = 0.65*X*Y = Xup*Ydown = 1.25*X*Ydown --> Ydown = 0.65/1.25 *Y = 0.52*Y

And so, 25% more tickets sold, with <b>average revenue per ticket down 48%. </b>Indeed, multiply 125% by 52% and it gets you to 65% of the revenue.

A) 48% reduction?
B) Did any of the extra 25% of attendees buy concessions?

The point being reduction in ticket prices doesn’t have to mean a big (or maybe even any) reduction in revenue.

Current revenue = X*Y

And so, 25% more tickets sold, with average revenue per ticket down 48%. Indeed, multiply 125% by 52% and it gets you to 65% of the revenue.

How did you arrive at revenue down 35%?

I agree with PW. He provided facts that contradicted a narrative that says that attendance hasn't gotten worse during Coyle's tenure.

The aging fans ares not being replenished by the younger generations in large enough numbers. The younger generations are more digitally connected. They'd rather watch games in the comfort of their residences or viewing parties in front of large screen TVs.

One solution is lowering the total cost of attendance by lowering the prices of food and drinks. Aren't the Gophers experimenting with that?

https://ugawire.usatoday.com/2019/0...-solution-how-does-it-relate-to-uga-football/

You think every seat in TCF was filled for every game that season? LOL.

Here's a pic of immediately before kickoff of the Michigan game. Watch the whole video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FwjOZy_y8t0

View attachment 6295
Looks more full than the Wisconsin student section at kickoff. I would certainly take that as an average attendance this year.

We're talking about the drop in attendance. For that purpose, the announced attendance works for me. It went from 52,000 in 2015 to 38,000 in 2018. Whether we're talking announced or butts in the seats, that's bad.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

I wouldn't say Coyle has been bad, I would say Minnesota has been bad. It's not his fault.

Since part of his job is to sell tickets, I’d disagree with this assessment.

That said, there are a lot of factors to overcome that are different than they’ve ever been, and a lot of ADs are struggling with the same problem.

There are some basic things he could do to fix the problem but that would “decrease revenue” and therefore are off the table. I’d like to see the u drop the seat fees and just charge the ticket price until the base begins to grow and winning is more consistent.

Maybe like the playbook, Coyle is saving that for next year when we’ll be good. Or is that the year after next? I forget.

Coyle wasn't the one who compounded the problem of declining attendance nation wide by jacking up the prices and adding the donations to the cost of all the tickets.

Coyle is tasked with figuring out how to undo the damage and try to bring fans back in.

Maybe he could start by unjacking the prices and dropping the donations. If that’s the problem, the solution is pretty clear.

Top Bottom