Shama: Student tix 2,777, stark contrast to prior yrs; season tix down 22% since 2015

Since part of his job is to sell tickets, I’d disagree with this assessment.

That said, there are a lot of factors to overcome that are different than they’ve ever been, and a lot of ADs are struggling with the same problem.

There are some basic things he could do to fix the problem but that would “decrease revenue” and therefore are off the table. I’d like to see the u drop the seat fees and just charge the ticket price until the base begins to grow and winning is more consistent.

Maybe like the playbook, Coyle is saving that for next year when we’ll be good. Or is that the year after next? I forget.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just don't think attendance would be that much different if we had any other AD, including one from a top school like Bama, OSU or Nebraska. Maybe one of those guys would do slightly better but overall I would think attendance would still be pretty bad.

And like I said, we just had our highest attended game since 2016 and it was a Thursday night game against SDSU and Coyle was a big part of that. The $10 flash sale and freshman students getting in free really helped.

They've also done other creative stuff as well such as the gopher pass, the student app where they can earn discounts at restaurants if they show up and stay long enough at the games and they are giving away a free ticket and discounted guest ticket to all U faculty and employees for the GSU game. Like others have said, Coyle inherited Teague's price hikes which he discontinued and the last two years of gopher football have been rebuilding years. I think attendance will be a lot better this year.

Maybe he could start by unjacking the prices and dropping the donations. If that’s the problem, the solution is pretty clear.

Maybe I shouldn't be so hard on Coyle. He does deserve credit for being AD during the winningest football season since 2003.

So your point was what?

I'm not sure why you can't understand it from post #54, it was stated pretty clearly in the post.

I’ll help.

If we drop ticket prices 48%, sell only 25% more tickets, and none of those extra 25% park, buy food, merchandise, etc. - and we ignore all other positive factors that come with more people on campus and in the game (now and future investment), that our revenue would drop 35% and we can’t have that. The 48% was chosen to make the math work.
TBH, it is likely very similar to the thinking Coyle uses.

I'm not sure why you can't understand it from post #54, it was stated pretty clearly in the post.

My response was rhetorical. You don't have one. You throw out completely made up numbers and don't expect someone to question the logic of them?

Top Bottom