Shama: Student tix 2,777, stark contrast to prior yrs; season tix down 22% since 2015

Minnesotans would rather watch TV than go to a game, partly because there might be some sort of weather that isn’t absolutely perfect. The Metrodome Pussification Effect (MPE) has about 15 more years to wear off.

2 things

During the MB3/Maroney years, the student section at the Dome, off-campus and indoor a stale stadium was more full than now.

Tickets were a lot cheaper in the Dome than on campus. Students got away with partying and underage drinking much more in the Dome tailgating lots than they do now. The Minneapolis cops used to look the other way quite a bit with the parties downtown. Not so much on campus anymore. If there is a party the students are at the party instead of the game.

Might as well give the tickets to students for free at this point

Might as well give the tickets to students for free at this point

AMEN. And create an atmosphere where the students can party like hell in the tailgate lots. Until it is “the place to be” the keg party that is available for less $ will be.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AMEN. And create an atmosphere where the students can party like hell in the tailgate lots. Until it is “the place to be” the keg party that is available for less $ will be.

We can’t condone college kids drinking! Wait...what? Yeah make it the place to be. I’m sure they would have a blast in the student tailgate lot if it existed and have music/events geared to this group. If they want college kids to show up they are going to have to increase the fun factor and like it or not it involves drinking in that demographic. Have that and some free swag in addition to what they are doing and you will get somewhere!

We can’t condone college kids drinking! Wait...what? Yeah make it the place to be. I’m sure they would have a blast in the student tailgate lot if it existed and have music/events geared to this group. If they want college kids to show up they are going to have to increase the fun factor and like it or not it involves drinking in that demographic. Have that and some free swag in addition to what they are doing and you will get somewhere!

Even doing something like half off beers at the game if a valid student ID and drivers license is shown may go along ways. Even though alcohol is sold at the stadium, $8 beers is usually still too much for a college kid.

For those of you saying it's a nationwide problem, the U has had a worse decrease than B1G peers, so even controlling for the broader trend, Coyle has been bad in this department. I hear he is working on it though, and it's a priority.

For those of you saying it's a nationwide problem, the U has had a worse decrease than B1G peers, so even controlling for the broader trend, Coyle has been bad in this department. I hear he is working on it though, and it's a priority.

I wouldn't say Coyle has been bad, I would say Minnesota has been bad. It's not his fault.

I am in the minority but I don't understand why you have to drink to have a good time.

I am in the minority but I don't understand why you have to drink to have a good time.

I never drink for gopher games. It just makes it so much harder to actually pay attention and know what is going on in the game. Really any sporting event that I actually care about I never drink for because I want to actually follow the game. I definitely will drink a bit at social gatherings/parties or when going out but never for gopher games or other games I really care about.

That being said, college kids are not the same way.

Good for you.
Are we talking about how to have fun or how to help attendance?

Went to Gophers-Hoosiers game in Bloomington very early in Brewster's tenure. Drove all night, arrived at the stadium at dawn, and found a place to park on the grass pretty close to the stadium. Other than some overnight RV campers we were among the first to arrive for the game.

Anywho...didn't know at the time but we parked right smack dab in the middle of the historic student party parking area. Like the Omega Moos...these kids knew how to party. We could have moved but didn't...and paid for it later...but if you were a student and weren't blasted it was your own fault. Plenty of opportunity.

Point of this trip down memory lane is that these kids did NOT go to the game. The game was an excuse to congregate, conjugate, and consume mass quantities...but not to put butts in the seats. They stayed put...and quadrillions of brain cells died that day.

Talked to several IU folks at the game itself and they freely admitted that they gave up on the kids a long time ago...but by the time they were alums and still cared they actually came inside the stadium.

Not saying that's happening here but that's my story and I'm sticking to it. Parties do often overrule the game itself. Gophers won that day BTW.

Minnesotans would rather watch TV than go to a game, partly because there might be some sort of weather that isn’t absolutely perfect. The Metrodome Pussification Effect (MPE) has about 15 more years to wear off.

Isn’t that why you moved?

Coyle wasn't the one who compounded the problem of declining attendance nation wide by jacking up the prices and adding the donations to the cost of all the tickets.

Coyle is tasked with figuring out how to undo the damage and try to bring fans back in.

Coyle wasn't the one who compounded the problem of declining attendance nation wide by jacking up the prices and adding the donations to the cost of all the tickets.

Coyle is tasked with figuring out how to undo the damage and try to bring fans back in.

Convenient. Let me know how long MC has to be here before we can hold him accountable for his job. Hopefully by that point he can speak in public intelligently or handle a tough situation without dishonesty and F’ing it up.

Holy fact check Los V! And Word offers a reasonable alternative with Illinois and Purdue.

Gave Brewster credit he did not warrant (and I do not want to contribute to any grade inflation for his tenure). It was Indiana but under Coach Mase in 2005. Gophers took that one 42-21.

Guess I lost some brain cells that day too... Correction noted and appreciated.

Maryland lets their Frats and Sororities set up tents on the Football practice field to pre-game. You have to have an ID to prove you are of age and each person can bring in 12 canned beers. They are responsible for cleaning it up or they lose the privilege of using the field. Aside from loose interpretation of valid IDs, its pretty fun and they clean it up before the game is over.

Students go to the game but lots of beer and Maryland weather causes most of them to leave well before the game is over. Beer, heat and humidity take a toll.

Good point.

The bugaboo for Coyle is, not just bringing the fans back, but ensuring the revenue stays at least close to the same. He can't go to the CFO for the TC campus and say "attendance is up 25%, but revenue is down 35% since we got rid of the scholarship donations and higher pricing". That won't fly.

Maryland lets their Frats and Sororities set up tents on the Football practice field to pre-game. You have to have an ID to prove you are of age and each person can bring in 12 canned beers. They are responsible for cleaning it up or they lose the privilege of using the field. Aside from loose interpretation of valid IDs, its pretty fun and they clean it up before the game is over.

Students go to the game but lots of beer and Maryland weather causes most of them to leave well before the game is over. Beer, heat and humidity take a toll.

Only 12 cans of beer per person!? How big is can? :cool:

Only 12 cans of beer per person!? How big is can? :cool:

Can be any size. But it must be in a clear plastic bag and not in it's original case for some reason.

I assume a keg or mini keg is not considered a can!

Not saying that's happening here but that's my story and I'm sticking to it. Parties do often overrule the game itself. Gophers won that day BTW.

Your memory must be a little foggy from partying with the students, as the Gophers got smoked in Bloomington in Brew's first season (2007).

Can be any size. But it must be in a clear plastic bag and not in it's original case for some reason.

I assume a keg or mini keg is not considered a can!

What about a 40oz can? :cool:

I was impressed with the setup at Maryland last season as well.

Your memory must be a little foggy from partying with the students, as the Gophers got smoked in Bloomington in Brew's first season (2007).

Concur. We were not keeping up with the students that day but I'm certainly guilty of generating fog in the noggin in the almost 15 years since...

As an aside since my error has kept this going...when we returned to the minivan after the game every single horizontal inch of vehicle had an empty beer/liquor bottle, can, or cup on it. Literally the vehicle was a mobile recycling and trash platform. Students were all around to see our reaction. The owner was not happy but maintained. It was quite the sight. As we were cleaning it up a few students joined in. They advised us to park on the other side of the lot the next time...or at least let IU win.

Top Bottom