Shama on Fleck: 21 Big Ten wins over four years is the most ever for the football program that began in 1882.

They played 28 B1G games in that 1960-63 4 year stretch. Played 34 in the 4 year stretch for Fleck. Looking at B1G games winning percentage, the 1960-63 stretch is better and a closer apples to apples comparison IMHO. So yes, 2020 had two fewer B1G games, but in the overall 4 year stretch, there were six more played by comparison.

I don’t think you’re making the point you’re making by showing the disparity in the games played. Maybe counting a pandemic influenced season was smart. But it’s like comparing records from 162 game mlb seasons to 154

I don’t think you’re making the point you’re making by showing the disparity in the games played. Maybe counting a pandemic influenced season was smart. But it’s like comparing records from 162 game mlb seasons to 154
OK, what's the point you think I am making?

I wonder if everyone that thinks about how wins and losses don't matter that year also discounts Mo's rushing yards from that year as well?

I wonder if everyone that thinks about how wins and losses don't matter that year also discounts Mo's rushing yards from that year as well?
Wins and losses do count from that year. Nobody has said otherwise

It all depends on what games are in the sample size.
I consider conference games as the only sample with looking at.
Division or conference championships could be included.

Why only conference games?

The Gophers have been really successful under Fleck in non-conference games, including a nifty bowl win streak. Fleck is 7-0 against P5, non-Big Ten competition at Minnesota.

I surely count these bowl wins, as well as the massacres of Colorado and the upcoming games with North Carolina as well. I would expand this to "all P5 games" at minimum.

Wins and losses do count from that year. Nobody has said otherwise
Exactly, some people get so weird when you try to imply that 2020 should be viewed differently.

Obviously those game count but that season was a complete mess in almost every way and very little stock of any kind should be put in what happened during it.

For whatever reason, some just can't seem to grasp this concept and get all bent out of shape when people don't want to factor 2020 into team analysis because it was such an unprecedented season.

Exactly, some people get so weird when you try to imply that 2020 should be viewed differently.

Obviously those game count but that season was a complete mess in almost every way and very little stock of any kind should be put in what happened during it.

For whatever reason, some just can't seem to grasp this concept and get all bent out of shape when people don't want to factor 2020 into team analysis because it was such an unprecedented season.

It also wasn’t indicative of where a program was headed. Who won the B1G West that year?

Per Shama:

Minnesota is 21-13 in league games during this stretch. The 21 Big Ten wins over four years is the most ever for the football program that began in 1882.
If PJ can keep building, he hopefully will blow by 21 conference victories in a 4-year span. For now, 21 is pathetically low for a 4-year high in the 8/9 conference-game era [1971-present].

There is no stronger indication that 2020 is a throwaway season than the fact every player on every roster was granted an extra year of elegibility as compensation for the lost season.

If PJ can keep building, he hopefully will blow by 21 conference victories in a 4-year span. For now, 21 is pathetically low for a 4-year high in the 8/9 conference-game era [1971-present].
It’s the 5th highest in a 14 team conference in that span. But yea I agree I wish the team could push it up to 25
25 would be
3- 5-4 or 6-3 seasons
+ 1 8-1 season

It’s the 5th highest in a 14 team conference in that span. But yea I agree I wish the team could push it up to 25
25 would be
3- 5-4 or 6-3 seasons
+ 1 8-1 season
21 conference victories over the last 4 years is solid, but Shama’s point was that 21 conference victories over 4 years is an all time Gopher 4-year high. As an all time 4-year high, that is really poor. By way of comparison, here are 4-year conference win highs of some non-Blue Blood Big Ten brethren:

Wisconsin-29 (2014-17)
Illinois 27 (1981-84)
Northwestern 26 (2015-18)
MSU 25 (1987-90; 2010-13)
Iowa 25 (2002-05)
Purdue 23 (1977-80)

21 conference victories over the last 4 years is solid, but Shama’s point was that 21 conference victories over 4 years is an all time Gopher 4-year high. As an all time 4-year high, that is really poor. By way of comparison, here are 4-year conference win highs of some non-Blue Blood Big Ten brethren:

Wisconsin-29 (2014-17)
Illinois 27 (1981-84)
Northwestern 26 (2015-18)
MSU 25 (1987-90; 2010-13)
Iowa 25 (2002-05)
Purdue 23 (1977-80)
How do those teams compare in National Titles?

Minnesota sports fans are beautiful.

If an article comes out praising one of our teams, we immediately nitpick it to death. Once we're done doing that, we take a deep breath and resume our incessant whining about how we never win anything.

99.9% of people on this board would have accepted the 2020 season as completely legit if we had won Floyd. Beat Iowa!!!!!!

99.9% of people on this board would have accepted the 2020 season as completely legit if we had won Floyd. Beat Iowa!!!!!!
That is a load of BS. The 2020 season was a complete mess. All you have to do is look at the final standings to realize just how screwed up it really was. Ignore the records for a second and just consider the fact that this is how the game totals broke down for each team:

Northwestern - 9 games total, 7 conference games
Iowa - 8 games total, all conference games
Wisconsin - 7 games total, 6 conference games
Minnesota - 7 games total, all conference games
Nebraska - 8 games total, all conference games
Purdue - 6 games total, all conference games
Illinois - 8 games total, all conference games

Ohio State - 8 games total, 5 conference games
Indiana - 8 games total, 7 conference games
Penn State - 9 games total, all conference games
Maryland - 5 games total, all conference games
Rutgers - 9 games total, all conference games
Michigan - 6 games total, all conference games
Michigan State - 7 games total, all conference games

That is a clusterf$ck of epic proportions. The games that were played all count but putting any kind of stock or value in the results from that mess of a season is foolish.

And you can choose not to believe me but I would be saying the exact same thing if the Gophers had gone 7-0 as opposed to 3-4 during that disaster.

Top Bottom