Shama: NBA source on Oturu: “I’ve heard he is gone for sure"

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Shama:

University of Minnesota sophomore center Daniel Oturu is likely closing out his college career this month. A college and pro authority told Sports Headliners multiple sources believe the former Cretin-Derham Hall star will declare for the NBA Draft in the spring.

The authority, a former college coach now with NBA connections, has seen Oturu play both collegiately and as a prep. “I’ve heard he is gone for sure,” the source said about the Gophers’ leading scorer and rebounder, who was named a mid-season All-American by Sporting News in January.

The 6-foot-10, 240-pound Oturu has experienced a breakout season after averaging 10 points and seven rebounds as a freshman. His averages this year of 20.2 points per game and 11.4 rebounds rank with the best stats for centers in the country. With exceptional athleticism, he has multiple skills including shot blocking, attacking off the dribble, and scoring inside and outside. NBAdraft.net projects him as the No. 7 first round selection in the 2020 NBA Draft.

The source (he asked that his name not be used) places a “high ceiling” label on the 20-year-old regarding his potential. At No. 7 in the draft, Oturu would be a coveted pick and receive several millions of dollars in a multi-year guaranteed deal. The source believes it will benefit Oturu to leave college because he can concentrate 24-7 on basketball, with all the coaching, training, dietary and practice expertise offered by professional teams.

Go Gophers!!

WOW SHOCKER....The real questions are does Carr pull a Coffey move......Does Willis grad transfer out.

I don't understand why this is even a question? If a player is a consensus top 20 (DO might be top 10) there is no question the player should leave for the NBA. Anyone counseling him not to would have someone else's interest ahead of DOs and if they're getting paid be liable. Go make millions, be merry, live the dream.

I don't understand why this is even a question? If a player is a consensus top 20 (DO might be top 10) there is no question the player should leave for the NBA. Anyone counseling him not to would have someone else's interest ahead of DOs and if they're getting paid be liable. Go make millions, be merry, live the dream.

It's at least a question, because he's not a consensus Top 20 player. However, in the current landscape that does not matter. In 2019 more players who declared early weren't even drafted than those that were.

He gone.

Not saying he shouldn't go - but there is more to life than money. Listen to your family and other wise counsel to figure out the best time for financial reasons but also to decide if you are ready from a maturity level. Most are not but your (Oturu's) family seems solid.

Last edited:

At certain schools a non-guaranteed NBA contract might be a pay cut...

Most mock drafts have him in the 25-30 range of Round 1. Thats probably good enough to take the plunge.

Consensus and mock drafts have no meaning.
Oturo's potential is very high and the amount of money is staggering.
Why should he stay if given the chance?
MN is not going to be a final four team next year and there even may be a new coach.

MN is not going to be a final four team next year and there even may be a new coach.

I think the strong consensus from fans on this board is that he should leave if its likely he'll get drafted in the first round. Worst case scenario for him is that he starts out in the G-league. He'll still make a mint for at least a few years.

WOW SHOCKER....The real questions are does Carr pull a Coffey move......Does Willis grad transfer out.

I think Carr could play in the NBA but would likely go undrafted this summer. Willis another transfer? Anything's possible I guess. Hope not.

I think the strong consensus from fans on this board is that he should leave if its likely he'll get drafted in the first round. Worst case scenario for him is that he starts out in the G-league. He'll still make a mint for at least a few years.
If I were him - I would think it over long and hard before going if he is projected below 20th. I think he could make it up in spades the following year at the rate he is growing his game. The 3 year salary slots for rookies is the key here. Such a massive difference between 10th and 21st for example. I expect him to be at least a top 20 pick though....

According to this board if he returns and we get a new coach- we should win a natty.

If people don't think the chance of him leaving is at least 90 percent, they aren't paying attention to the landscape of college basketball. The old notion that a player only should go if he's a lottery pick is dead. The notion that a guy is only going to leave if he's a first round pick is dead. A lot of guys leave no matter what - for better or worse.

Guys a lot worse than Oturu will declare and everybody will think it makes very little sense. If you are hoping he's coming back, assume he's leaving because very, very rarely do guys of his status as a prospect come back.

Oturu should stay in school at least one more year. He needs to get better strength which will help his shooting % . He could be the number one pick next year and get big bucks and endorsements. He just needs to grow up another year. No knock on the kid as he will be a super star in the league once he develops.

Tough situation for him. Looking at a strong possibility of a decent paycheck for himself along with some cash for his family whom he loves all the while he his healthy.

If I were him looking at this draft compared to what is being projected for 2021, I would definitely come out this year.

If I were him - I would think it over long and hard before going if he is projected below 20th. I think he could make it up in spades the following year at the rate he is growing his game. The 3 year salary slots for rookies is the key here. Such a massive difference between 10th and 21st for example. I expect him to be at least a top 20 pick though....
It's good that you aren't him. His thinking will be much more clear.

According to this board if he returns and we get a new coach- we should win a natty.

You'd throw a party if the new coach got us to 11th place next year. That would be progress.

You don't go changing your standards for a new coach, ok!

I agree, its the one or two mocks that have him as high as 7th. If I had to guess, I'd put him around 24th pick.
He will get picked.
End up making hundreds of thousands at the end of a bench or in Europe.
A worse defensively gorgi

I don't think he should stay as a way to save your coach. He has to do what is best for him, not bga.

I don't think he should stay as a way to save your coach. He has to do what is best for him, not bga.

You aren't a Gopher fan? He's our coach, for the present, not mine.

Who said I want him to stay to save OUR coach? That would be you. Not me. If he is top 10 he should go. If he is top 20 he probably should go. If he is lower he should think about staying. As a Gopher fan, I would love to see him back. As far as Pitino, I am happy to see him retained or have him replaced with the right guy. I think it could be argued both ways. Have I made myself clear?

Last edited:

Oturu should stay in school at least one more year. He needs to get better strength which will help his shooting % . He could be the number one pick next year and get big bucks and endorsements. He just needs to grow up another year. No knock on the kid as he will be a super star in the league once he develops.
If he is a first round pick (which all indicators point to) he would have to be an imbecile to stay. There is no chance at 1 year older that he ever becomes the number 1 pick. The risk of blowing out his knee outweigh the extra 1-2 mill per year he may receive by "waiting"

Top Bottom