Shama: Intriguing If WR Wright Subs for U

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Shama:

Chris Autman-Bell, counted on this fall to be the Golden Gophers’ No. 1 receiver, is sidelined with an undisclosed injury, but possibly a high ankle sprain. The injury happened in practice last week and speculation has been Autman-Bell could miss the September 2 opening game against Ohio State. Head coach P.J. Fleck said after practice last night Autman-Bell’s injury is “week-to-week” and predicted a “legitimate chance” he could compete against the Buckeyes.

Autman-Bell, a senior, has played in 33 games during his Minnesota career, with 78 receptions for 1,250 yards and six touchdowns. That’s a lot of experience for the talented wide receiver who makes difficult catches and has the skills to be an NFL prospect.

If Autman-Bell can’t play against top five tanked Ohio State, who gets his assignment? It could be a group approach and several receivers had a lot of reps in practice yesterday. None seem more intriguing than Dylan Wright who showed his speed and pass catching skills Monday.

“He consistently makes huge plays,” Fleck said. “He’s just gotta be able to have the detailed part of the game continue to be ironed out.”

Go Gophers!!

I hope CAB is healed enough to play, but I wouldn't be shocked if they limit his reps a bit more than they otherwise would have to really make sure he doesn't re-injure it. Especially if the rest of the WR room step up.

per Shama:

Chris Autman-Bell, counted on this fall to be the Golden Gophers’ No. 1 receiver, is sidelined with an undisclosed injury, but possibly a high ankle sprain. The injury happened in practice last week and speculation has been Autman-Bell could miss the September 2 opening game against Ohio State. Head coach P.J. Fleck said after practice last night Autman-Bell’s injury is “week-to-week” and predicted a “legitimate chance” he could compete against the Buckeyes.

Autman-Bell, a senior, has played in 33 games during his Minnesota career, with 78 receptions for 1,250 yards and six touchdowns. That’s a lot of experience for the talented wide receiver who makes difficult catches and has the skills to be an NFL prospect.

If Autman-Bell can’t play against top five tanked Ohio State, who gets his assignment? It could be a group approach and several receivers had a lot of reps in practice yesterday. None seem more intriguing than Dylan Wright who showed his speed and pass catching skills Monday.

“He consistently makes huge plays,” Fleck said. “He’s just gotta be able to have the detailed part of the game continue to be ironed out.”

Go Gophers!!
He did look sharp and is a big body to contend with...Brockington looked great as well.

I think we've all been intrigued about Wright's prospects since he committed. He didn't play in the spring game and we've gotten only little tidbits from open practices and comments from coaches, so he's honestly a pretty big mystery. Recent reports are really positive, so that's reason for at least a little excitement.

If the practice performances can be replicated in real games, Dylan Wright might be the heir apparent to Rashod Bateman.

Keep in mind that there are several intriguing wide receivers in the WR Room. I am not too worried about the WR corps. Don't forget about the TEs getting more involved in the receiving game this season.

The competition at the WR position will be fun to watch in the next few years. The bar has definitely been set high.

Last edited:

"Subs for U" sorry this language is throwing me a bit.

I assume this is supposed to mean something like "plays for CAB in the Ohio State game"

I actually clicked on the link to see if this was a real typo, and it is. Yeesh, do they not have editors anymore?
I don't think that Shama's retirement hobby included editors at any point (other than Shama himself)

I watched Season 5 of The Wire and so I know a thing or two about newspapers, and they are supposed to have editors.
That was set in the late 2000's. Everything is "now, now, now" and internet memes, these days.

I watched Season 5 of The Wire and so I know a thing or two about newspapers, and they are supposed to have editors.
I hath watched season 5, stayed at a holiday inn express and know that shamassportsheadliners.com wordpress site is not a newspaper

WR's will not matter this year. This experienced O Line and Mo will be used every single play.

7 OL. BSF at TE. Wright out wide. Even if we lose, we'll beat some people up.
Geary in the slot seems to be working in practice. A little concerned that Morgan has gotten more than a few throws batted down...

The editing department is now MS Word spellcheck and since tanked is a real word, voilà.

Top Bottom