Shama: Gophers Morgan Tops Most Viking QBs in Longevity

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Shama:

This upcoming season will be Tanner Morgan’s fifth as the University of Minnesota’s starting quarterback.

Think that’s a lot?

Yup, contrast Morgan with the other team in town that football fans follow with passion. In the 61-year history of the Vikings only four quarterbacks have been regular starters for five seasons or more. The list includes Kirk Cousins who is preparing for his fifth season in Minneapolis, plus Fran Tarkenton, Tommy Kramer and Daunte Culpepper. BTW Morgan, 23, is the same age as second-year Vikings backup quarterback Kellen Mond.

Morgan, who took over as Minnesota’s starter in October of 2018, is the only five season starting quarterback dating back to the end of World War II, per the Gophers’ media guide. He could be the only Minnesota QB to ever have been a starter for five seasons since the beginning of Gopher football in 1882.

Morgan’s unique story is happening because of an extra season of eligibility granted to football players by the NCAA in response to the loss of practice and game opportunities caused by COVID in 2020. Morgan is part of the “encore four” that includes three other six-year players who began careers at Minnesota as freshmen in 2017. Wide receiver Chris Autman-Bell, running back Mohamed Ibrahim, and center John Michael Schmitz are the other members of the group.

All four redshirted in 2017 and then first played in 2018, with Morgan having six starts in the team’s final games, and Ibrahim and Autman-Bell starting in nine games each. Schmitz saw action on special teams.

Morgan has quarterbacked the team to 27 wins, the most ever for a Gopher quarterback. Now he and teammates are getting ready for the season opener at home September 1 against New Mexico State.

He is grateful for his time at Minnesota. “You know, I’ve been here a long time. I’ve been very thankful for that. …Sometimes I pinch myself for having the situation that I am (in). Wake up in the morning, praying and thanking God that he has me where he has me. That I am a member of the University of Minnesota football team. …So it’s a joy to be here every day.”

Go Gophers!!

The Vikings managing to have the success they’ve had despite not finding that true franchise QB is astounding.

They’ve won seven division titles and have made the playoffs 13 times, even though the quarterback position hasn’t been very steady. Not sure where the franchise would have been without Moss and Peterson.

So many of the quarterbacks were picked up mid to late in their careers, too. Moon, Cunningham, Johnson’s second stint, Frerotte, Favre, McNabb, Cassel, Bradford and Cousins. They even picked up Josh Freeman for like one game against the Giants in 2013.

These are the starters since the 1990s
  • Warren Moon, 1994-1996
  • Randall Cunningham, 1997-1999
  • Daunte Culpepper, 2000-2005
  • Brad Johnson, 1996-1998 & 2005-2006 (!)
  • Tavaris Jackson, 2006-2010
  • Gus Frerotte, 2008
  • Brett Favre, 2009-2010
  • Joe Webb, 2010-2013
  • Christian Ponder, 2011-2014
  • Donovan McNabb, 2011
  • Matt Cassel, 2013
  • Josh Freeman, 2013
  • Teddy Bridgewater, 2014-2015
  • Sam Bradford, 2016-2017
  • Case Keenum, 2017
  • Kirk Cousins, 2018-present
Sometimes I don't think Packer fans realize just how lucky they are to have two consistent, championship winning, hall of fame quarterbacks back-to-back for 20 years. Even Dalton to Burrow with the Bengals and Romo to Prescott look pretty good.

Vikings haven't been able to get a handle on the QB position really since Kramer. Cousins is the closest they've come and maybe will still surprise me. But it has been nearly 40 years of mediocrity at the position.

Vikings haven't been able to get a handle on the QB position really since Kramer. Cousins is the closest they've come and maybe will still surprise me. But it has been nearly 40 years of mediocrity at the position.
Culpepper looked like he was going to be something special, but his career derailed in 2005 due to injuries and he never was the same.

But yeah, the QB position for the Vikings has been a mess more often than not for a long time.

Culpepper looked like he was going to be something special, but his career derailed in 2005 due to injuries and he never was the same.

But yeah, the QB position for the Vikings has been a mess more often than not for a long time.
Bradford was really good too but injuries derailed his career.

The Vikings managing to have the success they’ve had despite not finding that true franchise QB is astounding.

They’ve won seven division titles and have made the playoffs 13 times, even though the quarterback position hasn’t been very steady. Not sure where the franchise would have been without Moss and Peterson.

So many of the quarterbacks were picked up mid to late in their careers, too. Moon, Cunningham, Johnson’s second stint, Frerotte, Favre, McNabb, Cassel, Bradford and Cousins. They even picked up Josh Freeman for like one game against the Giants in 2013.

These are the starters since the 1990s
  • Warren Moon, 1994-1996
  • Randall Cunningham, 1997-1999
  • Daunte Culpepper, 2000-2005
  • Brad Johnson, 1996-1998 & 2005-2006 (!)
  • Tavaris Jackson, 2006-2010
  • Gus Frerotte, 2008
  • Brett Favre, 2009-2010
  • Joe Webb, 2010-2013
  • Christian Ponder, 2011-2014
  • Donovan McNabb, 2011
  • Matt Cassel, 2013
  • Josh Freeman, 2013
  • Teddy Bridgewater, 2014-2015
  • Sam Bradford, 2016-2017
  • Case Keenum, 2017
  • Kirk Cousins, 2018-present
Sometimes I don't think Packer fans realize just how lucky they are to have two consistent, championship winning, hall of fame quarterbacks back-to-back for 20 years. Even Dalton to Burrow with the Bengals and Romo to Prescott look pretty good.
Not 20 yrs, 31yrs. :(

Not 20 yrs, 31yrs. :(
Yeah, it is crazy to think the Packers have had essentially had just 2 starting QBs (outside of the occasional game here and there) for the last 30+ years. Definitely not the norm in the NFL.

Credit to them for identifying something special in Favre and getting him via trade with Atlanta in his second year and then drafting Rodgers when they did.

Yeah, it is crazy to think the Packers have had essentially had just 2 starting QBs (outside of the occasional game here and there) for the last 30+ years. Definitely not the norm in the NFL.

Credit to them for identifying something special in Favre and getting him via trade with Atlanta in his second year and then drafting Rodgers when they did.
Closest I can think of to what the Packers have had is the Montana to Young eras in San Fran

per Shama:

This upcoming season will be Tanner Morgan’s fifth as the University of Minnesota’s starting quarterback.

Think that’s a lot?

Yup, contrast Morgan with the other team in town that football fans follow with passion. In the 61-year history of the Vikings only four quarterbacks have been regular starters for five seasons or more. The list includes Kirk Cousins who is preparing for his fifth season in Minneapolis, plus Fran Tarkenton, Tommy Kramer and Daunte Culpepper. BTW Morgan, 23, is the same age as second-year Vikings backup quarterback Kellen Mond.

Morgan, who took over as Minnesota’s starter in October of 2018, is the only five season starting quarterback dating back to the end of World War II, per the Gophers’ media guide. He could be the only Minnesota QB to ever have been a starter for five seasons since the beginning of Gopher football in 1882.

Morgan’s unique story is happening because of an extra season of eligibility granted to football players by the NCAA in response to the loss of practice and game opportunities caused by COVID in 2020. Morgan is part of the “encore four” that includes three other six-year players who began careers at Minnesota as freshmen in 2017. Wide receiver Chris Autman-Bell, running back Mohamed Ibrahim, and center John Michael Schmitz are the other members of the group.

All four redshirted in 2017 and then first played in 2018, with Morgan having six starts in the team’s final games, and Ibrahim and Autman-Bell starting in nine games each. Schmitz saw action on special teams.

Morgan has quarterbacked the team to 27 wins, the most ever for a Gopher quarterback. Now he and teammates are getting ready for the season opener at home September 1 against New Mexico State.

He is grateful for his time at Minnesota. “You know, I’ve been here a long time. I’ve been very thankful for that. …Sometimes I pinch myself for having the situation that I am (in). Wake up in the morning, praying and thanking God that he has me where he has me. That I am a member of the University of Minnesota football team. …So it’s a joy to be here every day.”

Go Gophers!!

Speaking of Mond comparison to Morgan, watched a little bit of the preseason game and wondering if Mond sticks? Dual threat QB? I don’t watch a lot of the nfl anymore but used to be a premium was placed on passing ability. Googling college stats - average college stats despite having a presumedly good to great surrounding cast.

Speaking of Mond comparison to Morgan, watched a little bit of the preseason game and wondering if Mond sticks? Dual threat QB? I don’t watch a lot of the nfl anymore but used to be a premium was placed on passing ability. Googling college stats - average college stats despite having a presumedly good to great surrounding cast.
After the Vikings made that trade with the Raiders, I have my doubts about Mond and Sean Mannion sticking around. Mond was taken in the third round, too, so I don't really get the sense at this point they're developing him as a starter.

They will probably cut Mannion and attempt to pass Mond onto the "practice" squad.

Does anyone else think that Shama has trouble finding things to write about?

They will probably cut Mannion and attempt to pass Mond onto the "practice" squad.

Does anyone else think that Shama has trouble finding things to write about?
No. I think he writes anything that pops into his head. Anything.

Closest I can think of to what the Packers have had is the Montana to Young eras in San Fran
Little different due to the torch being passed due to injury but the Patriots had a nice run with Bledsoe to Brady.

obviously, Morgan has played in a run-1st system. going into 2022, Morgan is 5th in career passing attempts, 3rd in completions and 2nd in passing yards and TD's.

tried to find a list of games started - most of the stats I found list 'games played,' but don't show # of starts.

so, not starts but games played - Weber 50, Leidner 47, Morgan 42, Cupito 37.

If not for covid year, Morgan could have played at least another 5 games in 2020.

obviously, Morgan has played in a run-1st system. going into 2022, Morgan is 5th in career passing attempts, 3rd in completions and 2nd in passing yards and TD's.

tried to find a list of games started - most of the stats I found list 'games played,' but don't show # of starts.

so, not starts but games played - Weber 50, Leidner 47, Morgan 42, Cupito 37.

If not for covid year, Morgan could have played at least another 5 games in 2020.
Tanner could finish with 56. Maybe all starts but for one in 2018.

Top Bottom