Shama: Big Ten Turnarounds Came in Fourth Seasons

BleedGopher

Reaction score
Big Ten Turnarounds Came in Fourth Seasons

There have been two extraordinary turnarounds of Big Ten football programs in the last 20 years. Both happened in the coach’s fourth season.

Wisconsin coach Barry Alvarez took over a Badger program in 1990 that had been 3-8, 1-10 and 2-9 in the three previous seasons. By 1993 the Badgers were 10-1-1 and Big Ten champs.

Northwestern had been a punch line and punching bag for decades until Gary Barnett came along in 1992. The three previous seasons the Wildcats were 0-11, 2-9 and 3-8. By 1995 Northwestern had won the first of two consecutive conference championships.

At Minnesota the heat is on fourth year coach Tim Brewster who is off to a 1-3 start that includes losses to South Dakota and Northern Illinois. His career record is 15-27.

Barnett was asked by Sports Headliners if his success means any Big Ten program has the potential to be a winner. “Well, I think that’s the message that comes across, but it wasn’t easy,” he said. “I had a lot of sleepless nights and gut aches, but it came down to just a combination of kids and coaches. We really were a tight knit group. We had a special bond. …”

Barnett, 64, would consider coaching again at the “right” place. These days he’s a color man on Sports USA for college football and was in Minneapolis earlier this month to work a Gophers game.

Barnett left Northwestern to become head coach at Colorado, a program he had known for several years as an assistant. He had success coaching the Buffaloes but off-field problems forced him out.

What’s the right place? He said it’s an institution where the athletic director, chancellor and president are supportive of athletics. At Colorado, he said, the faculty set the tone for athletics.

Barnett said a football coach is in a “war” trying to win games and be successful in all the ways a coach must perform. It’s vital that the coach like the people he’s working for and have their support. “They’re (the administrators) in that trench with you,” Barnett said. “They’re not on the outside looking down saying, ‘Good luck.’…”

Is Minnesota a good job? Barnett said this is a “great city” and he likes the facilities here, but then said, “Facilities aren’t the issue. It’s the people that are in the facilities that generally decide whether or not you’re going to win. I don’t know enough about the inner workings of the University…to be able to answer (whether Minnesota is a good job).”

How did Barnett turnaround a laughing stock program at Northwestern, the conference’s only private school and a laggard regarding facilities? Well, he obviously had the support of the administration in various ways, but there’s more.

“We didn’t lose a player in those four years,” Barnett said. “They all stayed and they drank the ‘Kool-Aid’. …

“We addressed our problems. We didn’t try to solve problems that would fit for another place. We looked at what we were running into, and we prioritized things that we needed to work on and change, and we were able to do it. And we sent a constant message.”

Although Barnett had extraordinary success in his fourth season he said it does take time for a new coach to put his system, players and coaches in place. He believes it’s better to evaluate a coach in the fifth season.

“Around the fifth or sixth year you ought to be able to have an impact if you have done the right things, and kept the players and developed them, and those sort of things,” he said. “You ought to be in a position to at least be in the upper division in the fifth or sixth year. Fourth year I think is still probably a little early.”

The Northwestern program Barnett brought back to life is still successful. The 4-0 Wildcats play the Gophers here on Saturday.

http://www.shamasportsheadliners.com/

Go Gophers!!

There have been two extraordinary turnarounds of Big Ten football programs in the last 20 years. Both happened in the coach’s fourth season.

Wisconsin coach Barry Alvarez took over a Badger program in 1990 that had been 3-8, 1-10 and 2-9 in the three previous seasons. By 1993 the Badgers were 10-1-1 and Big Ten champs.

Northwestern had been a punch line and punching bag for decades until Gary Barnett came along in 1992. The three previous seasons the Wildcats were 0-11, 2-9 and 3-8. By 1995 Northwestern had won the first of two consecutive conference championships.

At Minnesota the heat is on fourth year coach Tim Brewster who is off to a 1-3 start that includes losses to South Dakota and Northern Illinois. His career record is 15-27.

Barnett was asked by Sports Headliners if his success means any Big Ten program has the potential to be a winner. “Well, I think that’s the message that comes across, but it wasn’t easy,” he said. “I had a lot of sleepless nights and gut aches, but it came down to just a combination of kids and coaches. We really were a tight knit group. We had a special bond. …”

Barnett, 64, would consider coaching again at the “right” place. These days he’s a color man on Sports USA for college football and was in Minneapolis earlier this month to work a Gophers game.

Barnett left Northwestern to become head coach at Colorado, a program he had known for several years as an assistant. He had success coaching the Buffaloes but off-field problems forced him out.

What’s the right place? He said it’s an institution where the athletic director, chancellor and president are supportive of athletics. At Colorado, he said, the faculty set the tone for athletics.

Barnett said a football coach is in a “war” trying to win games and be successful in all the ways a coach must perform. It’s vital that the coach like the people he’s working for and have their support. “They’re (the administrators) in that trench with you,” Barnett said. “They’re not on the outside looking down saying, ‘Good luck.’…”

Is Minnesota a good job? Barnett said this is a “great city” and he likes the facilities here, but then said, “Facilities aren’t the issue. It’s the people that are in the facilities that generally decide whether or not you’re going to win. I don’t know enough about the inner workings of the University…to be able to answer (whether Minnesota is a good job).”

How did Barnett turnaround a laughing stock program at Northwestern, the conference’s only private school and a laggard regarding facilities? Well, he obviously had the support of the administration in various ways, but there’s more.

“We didn’t lose a player in those four years,” Barnett said. “They all stayed and they drank the ‘Kool-Aid’. …

“We addressed our problems. We didn’t try to solve problems that would fit for another place. We looked at what we were running into, and we prioritized things that we needed to work on and change, and we were able to do it. And we sent a constant message.”

Although Barnett had extraordinary success in his fourth season he said it does take time for a new coach to put his system, players and coaches in place. He believes it’s better to evaluate a coach in the fifth season.

“Around the fifth or sixth year you ought to be able to have an impact if you have done the right things, and kept the players and developed them, and those sort of things,” he said. “You ought to be in a position to at least be in the upper division in the fifth or sixth year. Fourth year I think is still probably a little early.”

The Northwestern program Barnett brought back to life is still successful. The 4-0 Wildcats play the Gophers here on Saturday.

Go Gophers!!

You could also argue for Kirk Ferentz. Hayden Fry's final season (1998) resulted in a 3-8 campaign for the Hawkeyes. Ferentz was 1-10, 3-8, 7-5 (Bowl win) and in 2002 Iowa finished 11-2, 8-0. The Hawks won 10 games in 2003 and 2004. There was a mediocre period between 2005-2007 (7-5, 6-7, 6-6) but in 2008 the Hawkeyes surged at the end of the season to finish 9-4. 2009 was another 11-2 campaign and this season Iowa is 3-1 and ranked #17th in the polls.

After that second Big Ten first place finish, Barnett went 3-5 and then 0-8 in 97 and 98. What happened?

Then he took the big pay-day at CO; where he again had some nice successes.

I would add that Mason's 1999 season (his third year) where he went 5-3 after taking over a team that went 1-7 in 94, 95 and 96 was extraordinary.

He lost to UW that went 7-1 by three in OT, lost to OSU by three and to Purdue led by Brees by 5.

Beat OSU in 2000 and we had finally arrived.

Unfortunately we had to play Indiana the next weekend.

The one thing that makes me think that Brewster should get a fifth year is that he was hired so late that very few of the players recruited that year were his. Next year might be closer to being his fourth year in terms of players.

I just can't come to grips with the complete drop off this year though.

How many coaches in the history of the Big Ten have ever won a Big Ten title if they didn't win a title in their first 4 years as coach?

But just 3 since 1970

Arthur Hall - Illinois 1910 - 5th season
Ron Turner - Illinois 2001 - 5th season
John Cooper - Ohio State 1993 - 6th season
George Perles - Michigan State 1987 - 5th season
Murray Warmath - Minnesota 1960 - 7th season
Jack Mollenkopf - Purdue 1967 - 12th
Duffy Daugherty - Michigan STate - 12th
Glenn Thistlewaite - Northwestern 1926 - 5th
James Phelan - Purdue 1929 - 8th
Fritz Crisler - Michigan 1943 - 6th at MI, 8th in Big Ten
Bo McMillin - Indiana 1945 - 12th
Ray Eliot - Illinois 1946 - 5th
Stu Holcomb - Purdue 1952 - 6th
Forest Evashevski - Iowa 1956 - 5th
Bump Elliott - Michigan 1964 - 6th

The one thing that makes me think that Brewster should get a fifth year is that he was hired so late that very few of the players recruited that year were his. Next year might be closer to being his fourth year in terms of players.

I just can't come to grips with the complete drop off this year though.

To be honest, he was hired about a month after most other coaches typically get hired. While that's somewhat late, a December hire is still behind the eight ball on recruiting for year one.

He's had four years to work with them...unfortunately for him, he's tried to put them into three different systems on both sides of the ball. That's his downfall -- you need consistency in college in your schemes. He changes offensive philosophies more frequently than some change their underwear.

To be honest, he was hired about a month after most other coaches typically get hired. While that's somewhat late, a December hire is still behind the eight ball on recruiting for year one.

He's had four years to work with them...unfortunately for him, he's tried to put them into three different systems on both sides of the ball. That's his downfall -- you need consistency in college in your schemes. He changes offensive philosophies more frequently than some change their underwear.

This will be one of Brewster's greatest downfalls. He never really knew what type of system he wanted. He took a high-powered offense that Mason had and junked it to a spread offense which is certainly his right, then changed it around virtually every year. Having all the new coordinators didn't help, either. My guess if Brewster avoids being fired this year he will go with the option offense next year - we haven't tried that one yet!!!

This will be one of Brewster's greatest downfalls. He never really knew what type of system he wanted. He took a high-powered offense that Mason had and junked it to a spread offense which is certainly his right, then changed it around virtually every year. Having all the new coordinators didn't help, either. My guess if Brewster avoids being fired this year he will go with the option offense next year - we haven't tried that one yet!!!

The Wing T is not far behind.

Statistics show if a coach can't win the Big Ten title in his first 5 years, he never will. Only one coach in the last 50 years has won a Big Ten title after his 5th year and that was coach Cooper. People feel that coach Fitz will break the cycle, but if Northwestern wins the Big Ten this year, they will accomplish that feat in coach Fitz fifth season. With the schedule Northwestern has this year, it would not suprise me if they won the Big Ten.

If a coach can't win a title by year 5, it's time for him to go!

We Iowa fans avert our gaze and cannot make eye contact when Northwestern is mentioned. Penn St. fans have the same affliction when the Hawkeyes are mentioned (hopefully that does not change this weekend).

Unfortunately we had to play Indiana the next weekend.

The Gopher defense played that game as though Randle-El's face was on a milk carton. I don't think I've ever been that deflated as a Gopher fan other than the collapse against Michigan.

January

Go Gophers!!

Were these coaches hired in late January or did they actually have a say in the first recruiting class? (I have no idea but assume none of the previous teams went to a bowl, thus they could start the search process in November)

Were these coaches hired in late January or did they actually have a say in the first recruiting class? (I have no idea but assume none of the previous teams went to a bowl, thus they could start the search process in November)

From what I can tell:

-Alvarez was hired around January 2, 1990.
-Barnett was hired on December 18, 1991.
-Ferentz was hired on December 2, 1998.

So the other coaches had a bit more time (Alvarez not so much). But to compare state of the U in 2007 with UW and NU in 1990-91 is disingenuous; the U has been to bowls almost every year over the past decade and even has a 10 win season mixed in there. NU and UW were in long stretches of futility.

thanks

thanks for the clarification

Top Bottom