Shama: Alarming: announced attendance of 2,604 for the Gophers’ men’s basketball home exhibition game last Thursday night against Macalester.

BleedGopher

Reaction score
Attendance at an exhibition game not really mattering, but the attendance throughout the season will undoubtedly be an important metric and storyline as Coyle evaluates year 3 of the Johnson Era.

Per Shama:

Alarming: announced attendance of 2,604 for the Gophers’ men’s basketball home exhibition game last Thursday night against Macalester.

Go Gophers!!

so, what are people hearing and reading about Gopher basketball in the media, online and podcasts?

"The Gophers suck."

then when people don't show up at an exhibition, the same media asks "why aren't people showing up for Gopher Basketball?"

it would be like if I stood outside a restaurant every day telling people "don't eat here - the food stinks." and then when the restaurant closed, I turned around and asked "gee, why didn't more people eat there?"

so, what are people hearing and reading about Gopher basketball in the media, online and podcasts?

"The Gophers suck."

then when people don't show up at an exhibition, the same media asks "why aren't people showing up for Gopher Basketball?"

it would be like if I stood outside a restaurant every day telling people "don't eat here - the food stinks." and then when the restaurant closed, I turned around and asked "gee, why didn't more people eat there?"
The fans are at fault. Up next: old venue

"The Gophers suck."

This is why Ben, or whoever is the HC needs to be able to sell the program.

Attendance at an exhibition game not really mattering, but the attendance throughout the season will undoubtedly be an important metric and storyline as Coyle evaluates year 3 of the Johnson Era.

Per Shama:

Alarming: announced attendance of 2,604 for the Gophers’ men’s basketball home exhibition game last Thursday night against Macalester.

Go Gophers!!
Who counted?

to be clear - my post #4 was aimed at the media and Shama for deliberate lack of self-awareness.

they criticize the Gophers, and then they turn around and pretend to be surprised when there is a lack of public interest.

I am NOT saying that it is solely on the media to drum up public interest in the Gophers.

just saying that the media likes to play both sides on this issue.

"The Gophers suck."

Marcus Fuller and Ryan James have been much more like Baghdad Bob in their promotion of Ben Johnson than they have been giving honest assesments of the state of the program...but it doesn't matter because people have eyes. So those two are trying to do what I think your are suggesting (putting a positive spin on the program) but that's never going to work when the results are this bad. Ever since Ben said something to the effect of "We knew in this lockerroom that we were not going to finish last" after his win at Michigan...and the proceeded to finish last, he's given fans exactly nothing to feel excited about. Everything is about some process that apparently changes every year and how he's building something...that also appears to change every year. So to use your analogy, the owner/chef of the restaurant might not be standing outside the restaurant with you but when asked to sell his/her food they are telling people that things aren't quite ready yet, but they'll be good at some undetermined time in the near future. In this analogy it's also public record that they've had horrible reviews or health code violations in the past.

It was announced that students got in free for the exhibition, so I wonder if that number is counting free admissions?

Top Bottom