Shama: A local radio source said a start-up of WCCO Radio’s long airing and popular “Sports Huddle” show remains indefinite.

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Shama:

A local radio source said a start-up of WCCO Radio’s long airing and popular “Sports Huddle” show remains indefinite. The Sunday morning program stopped airing last year because of the pandemic and program originator Sid Hartman has since passed away.

Go Gophers!!

per Shama:

A local radio source said a start-up of WCCO Radio’s long airing and popular “Sports Huddle” show remains indefinite. The Sunday morning program stopped airing last year because of the pandemic and program originator Sid Hartman has since passed away.

Go Gophers!!
Might be best to just let it go. It was Sid's vehicle, better to start over with something else in my opinion.

While I always enjoyed Sons and DL65's recap. Seems like the show itself interfered with the coaches planning as Sunday mornings was their last chance to meet with the players typically. Just wouldn't be the same also without Sid. Just like Monday Night Football was never the same without Howard Cosell and Dandy Don.

Maybe a good vehicle for Chad Hartman to talk a little sports? Or does he do that already on his main gig for 830?

Dave Lee could "unretire" and come in for a Sunday 10 AM two hour sports show with Mike Max. 1st hour, Old Dutch chips, 2nd hour Country Hearth bread......:):)

The Sports Huddle by the hour . . . ~20 minutes of “sports talk” regularly punctuated with 33 minutes of promos/commercials, after 7 minutes of news/weather (with their own ads) at the top of each hour.

Once relevant, but R.I.P..

Dave Lee could "unretire" and come in for a Sunday 10 AM two hour sports show with Mike Max. 1st hour, Old Dutch chips, 2nd hour Country Hearth bread......:):)

Geez...having to listen to Dave Lee and Mike Max for 2 straight hours might cause me to storm the Capital.

Of the current CCO staff, I think the only one I would listen to on a "new" Sports Huddle is Henry Lake.

the last couple of years, the Huddle really got into a rut, where they just had the same guests on constantly. It turned into a vehicle for Sid to talk to his friends.

So maybe, a new host and format would mean some new or at least different guests. And they could take more calls from listeners. they pretty much stopped doing that because it was so hard for Sid to hear the callers.

So the “start up remains indefinite”? I know what Shama meant, but it doesn’t pass English 101.

It turned into a vehicle for Sid to talk to his friends.

That has been the crux of the show for the 40 years it has been on. That was literally the beauty of it. Sid knew everyone and no one had access or info like him! Problem is, like Sid, as the years went on, his important close personal friends were becoming older and less relevant, retired, or unfortunately dead.

Biggest problem with the show is recent years was Sid's hearing issues and Sid generally losing touch with the pulse of the local sports scene as he got older. Instead of the usual, great exclusive/inside info he delivered in his hey day, we eventually got only generic, sanitized interviews that were a dime a dozen.

My hunch is if they continue the show at some point, it will still include Mona and Max. I wonder if they'll add another voice?

Last edited:

That has been the crux of the show for the 40 years it has been on. That was literally the beauty of it. Sid knew everyone and no one had access or info like him! Problem is, like Sid, as the years went on, his important close personal friends were becoming older and less relevant, retired, or unfortunately dead.

Biggest problem with the show is recent years was Sid's hearing issues and Sid generally losing touch with the pulse of the local sports scene as he got older. Instead of the usual, great exclusive/inside info he delivered in his hey day, we eventually got only generic, sanitized interviews that were a dime a dozen.

My hunch is if they continue the show at some point, it will still include Mona and Max. I wonder if they'll add another voice?
Please no mike max...his whiney voice will kill it...plus he's a fake Gopher fan. So fake.

Please no mike max...his whiney voice will kill it...plus he's a fake Gopher fan. So fake.

Max had been co-hosting the show for awhile with Sid and Dave. That's why I figure he will remain on the show if it ever comes back.

Top Bottom