Seedy move by Purdue's coach Danny Hope.

While I agree that if the kid didn't agree to grayshirt he shouldn't have his scholarship pulled. The kid isn't very smart to turn down the grayshirt with no backup options. I can understand Purdue wanting him to grayshirt, gives him an entire extra year to recover from his injury.

Still a bad move from Hope.

Just checked out purdue's rival.com board, might be more to this story, but Hope isn't allowed to comment on unsigned recruits apparently due to ncaa rules.

While I agree that if the kid didn't agree to grayshirt he shouldn't have his scholarship pulled. The kid isn't very smart to turn down the grayshirt with no backup options. I can understand Purdue wanting him to grayshirt, gives him an entire extra year to recover from his injury.

Still a bad move from Hope.

Agree here. The grayshirt option should have been brought up right after the injury instead of at the last minute and that would have given the student the opportunity to think it over instead of having to ponder this at the last minute.

But the offer should have been honored. I don't know what to think of Hope. Seems like an earnest and competitive guy, but this is a horrible PR move. Purdue has a great Ag school. Maybe Hope can do a guest lecture on "seediness."

None of this is last minute. This all went down in mid December (6 weeks ago) so why it's all of a sudden an issue - I do not know.

Like you said, there is much more to the story but at the end of the day perception is reality and Hope likely has burned some bridges in Florida. Urban Meyer even said so this morning on the ESPNU signing day show.

In my not-so-humble opinion, our staff should be calling King and rolling out the red carpet today. Normally, I am not a proponent of bringing in late additions that you haven't been on top of, but in this case, Minnesota would look like real white knights to both the player and coaching staff if they welcomed him with open arms, especially since he's been recruited by our staff at some point in the past. A potentially outstanding PR move is there for the opportunity if you ask me.

In my not-so-humble opinion, our staff should be calling King and rolling out the red carpet today. Normally, I am not a proponent of bringing in late additions that you haven't been on top of, but in this case, Minnesota would look like real white knights to both the player and coaching staff if they welcomed him with open arms, especially since he's been recruited by our staff at some point in the past. A potentially outstanding PR move is there for the opportunity if you ask me.

In addition, the coach said that the Purdue staff was dead to them there. No idea if they put out many B10 level players, but it would be nice to try to open another potential pipeline.

...Hope likely has burned some bridges in Florida. Urban Meyer even said so this morning on the ESPNU signing day show.

Hey Danny Hope...way to use the napalm on those recruiting bridges to Florida:eek::eek::eek:

Not that I expect any more from ethically-challenged Purdue:rolleyes:

It's not like we are out of scholarships either...

I think this would be a good idea, actually. Never a bad plan to make national news as a good guy, especially for a new coach.

Yeah, that would make for a good story. Give the kid a scholly and redshirt him for a year.

Regardless of what Hope did (or did not) do, I'm getting a bit tired of these high school coaches shooting off their mouths. They should try to create post-high school situations that are best for their student-athletes and by chasing away Purdue, a possible opportunity is taken away from them. Purdue is a great Ag and Engineering school and it's a high school's job, both in the athletic and academic realms, to help their students find the best fit.

Yeah, that would make for a good story. Give the kid a scholly and redshirt him for a year.

We aren't running a charity. There is probably a reason Purdue didn't want him anymore. There is probably a reason Purdue was his only major offer.

He had major knee surgery and missed his senior year. If Kill wants him I hope he offers a gray shirt.

He had major knee surgery and missed his senior year. If Kill wants him I hope he offers a gray shirt.

2750594545_69ddbf6fb1.jpg

Perfect response Jeshurun.. First time I've legitimately cracked up while reading this board.

We aren't running a charity. There is probably a reason Purdue didn't want him anymore. There is probably a reason Purdue was his only major offer.

I know we aren't running a charity. Have you considered he may be a good player? What about the other benefits which have been discussed?

Perfect response Jeshurun.. First time I've legitimately cracked up while reading this board.

Obviously you guys missed the part in the story where he tried to get a gray shirt offer from ISU after Purdue pulled his scholarship. I get that he was mad about the grayshirt offer by Purdue, but I'm guessing he'd be more open to one at this point since he has few options.

Yeah. He broke his leg.

So Minnesota, Iowa, Iowa St., Ole Miss and WVU aren't "major" anymore? Interesting.

Exactly, he broke his leg.
None of those schools had offers waiting for him when his Purdue offer fell through is what I am saying. I didn't follow his recruiting at all before this article.

Top Bottom