Sean Henderson: "Minnesota knows they're probably fighting an uphill battle"

Aside from the student section, the games were pretty well attended. Presumably, the students who got bored and stopped showing up will not renew season tickets for next year. Those students who get tickets for next season will probably be the ones more inclined to attend. All you have to do is compare TCF stadium with the tomb that the Dome was to see the difference.

I think the stadium in general will be better attended by more loyal fans as the years pass.
How many season tickets were bought to get into the "new" stadium in town. How many students bought tickets just to make the opener, etc. Serious football fans that will be graduating students will hopefully have a chance to buy regular tickets next year, incoming freshmen will add bodies to the student section replacing some of the students that were just in it for the opener/warm games/whatever. It will be a process, but the stadium will breathe new life into the fanbase, true sellouts will become more the rule than the exception as the dome crowd and bluehairs get filtered out.

Who else wants to weigh in?

Aside from the student section, the games were pretty well attended. Presumably, the students who got bored and stopped showing up will not renew season tickets for next year. Those students who get tickets for next season will probably be the ones more inclined to attend. All you have to do is compare TCF stadium with the tomb that the Dome was to see the difference.

Being someone who lives out of state and hasn't been to TCF, I would love for somebody to clear this up and this looks like a good start.

During the season, there was plenty of discussion on here (generally from the negative dead beats) about soooo many empty seats, empty stadium, etc.

However, I recently asked a friend who was a season ticket holder and he said the empty seats were SIGNIFICANTLY ones in the student section.

Not to hijack the thread but I'd like a few long-time season ticket holders to weigh in? How empty was it and was it mainly just the student section?

I hope he chooses MN, it would be HUGE for the program. A bigger plus if he comes than a minus if he leaves. I really dont think any really believes he is coming here, just hoping he does, and I am in that camp.

Maybe the Dad can try for the OC position. Could he be any worse than what we had last year? j/k.

Dad seems very-very involved. Nice to see, but it scares me at the same time.

"Whether he chooses to stay home and go to Minnesota, or go far away to USC, or stay somewhere in between..."

Personally, I found this to be one of the more optimistic quotes ever uttered from SH's dad. Can anyone say that he isn't considering us (as is reported by most recruiting services) with this statement? Fingers crossed.

This board is gonna be epic come Signing Day, regardless of his decision lol. I'm gonna have to make sure I'm around to read it when it happens.

Being someone who lives out of state and hasn't been to TCF, I would love for somebody to clear this up and this looks like a good start.

During the season, there was plenty of discussion on here (generally from the negative dead beats) about soooo many empty seats, empty stadium, etc.

However, I recently asked a friend who was a season ticket holder and he said the empty seats were SIGNIFICANTLY ones in the student section.

Not to hijack the thread but I'd like a few long-time season ticket holders to weigh in? How empty was it and was it mainly just the student section?

The student section waned in attendance all year, but there were plenty of empty season ticket holder seats for games too. My theory is that there hadn't been a alcohol free and outdoor football game for 30 years in Minnesota, after the first few marquee games fairweather fans simply didn't show up. This includes the student section which is concentrated and more visible.

Back on topic, I have a real problem with any parent that is so involved in a life choice such as choice of college, especially when money is not a factor like Seantrell's. Parents should have input, parents should be there for support, but a parent should not weigh in their opinions, and should not influence the final choice. That should be the young person's alone.

Didn't I hear that Mr. Henderson is one of these "johnney" come lately fathers, kinda like Shaquille O'neal paternity father - once he figured out that his son had this huge upside he came swooping back in.
Absolutely wrong. You owe Mr Henderson an apology.

"Whether he chooses to stay home and go to Minnesota, or go far away to USC, or stay somewhere in between..."

Personally, I found this to be one of the more optimistic quotes ever uttered from SH's dad. Can anyone say that he isn't considering us (as is reported by most recruiting services) with this statement? Fingers crossed.

Me too. Minnesota is an option and still in the picture.

The student section waned in attendance all year, but there were plenty of empty season ticket holder seats for games too. My theory is that there hadn't been a alcohol free and outdoor football game for 30 years in Minnesota, after the first few marquee games fairweather fans simply didn't show up. This includes the student section which is concentrated and more visible.

Back on topic, I have a real problem with any parent that is so involved in a life choice such as choice of college, especially when money is not a factor like Seantrell's. Parents should have input, parents should be there for support, but a parent should not weigh in their opinions, and should not influence the final choice. That should be the young person's alone.

The Student section was packed until the heartbreaking loss to Wisconsin. Not to say that this is an excuse but I know a lot of fellow students were so upset about that game that they quit attending at that point. The students want to get behind this team but it's gonna take legitimate wins, especially rivalry wins to fill the student section, and every section on a regular basis.

Seriously, his dad comes off as a guy that loves this attention more than the kid, and Seantrel seems to be sucking in all of the attention he can get too. I really wanted Coach Brewster to lure him in with Gjere, but I'm becoming really indifferent towards the situation now.

Way to go, Handsome Pete. It's about time for some payback.

It isn't about payback, it's about reality and looking at the whole spectrum of issues involved in athletes picking schools. I have spent enough time around athletes, college and pro, to know that when the career ends it is often a steep drop professionally, financially, psychologically, the whole deal. I think Minnesota offers its native athletes the unique opportunity to be a permanent star and have access to opportunities you and I don't. Just think about Sam Maresh. That guy might never play a down of Gopher football, but the local alums know who he is and he is going to have access to job opportunities that others won't. And being a major metro area with many huge companies, that is potentially quite valuable. This is reality.

The Student section was packed until the heartbreaking loss to Wisconsin. Not to say that this is an excuse but I know a lot of fellow students were so upset about that game that they quit attending at that point. The students want to get behind this team but it's gonna take legitimate wins, especially rivalry wins to fill the student section, and every section on a regular basis.

I've defended the students on this site quite a bit, those that showed up were loud and lead the stadium in energy as they should. It will take time, but I have no doubt someday our students will be one of the best sections in the big ten. Now if we could electroshock the home lower deck sideline crowd into just clapping along to the rouser once in awhile, we'll be set.

I think the stadium in general will be better attended by more loyal fans as the years pass...

Not sure you're thinking clearly/critically here, Ole.

Most of today's 'loyal' Gopher football fans are typically in their Golden Years. If you read this entire thread, then you will get the sense that local college-aged fans tend to be bored, lukewarm, or are of the "Show Me' variety.

Your comment above is not only quite hilarious, but has me wondering where this pipeline of loyal Gopher fans will be emanating from?

Perhaps there is a leap in logic to your statement?

Being a native Ohioan, I think people really underestimate on here just how big Buckeye football is in the state of Ohio. Even if Seantrel is, say, the fifth most popular guy on the team, that would still make him infinitely better known than he would be in Minnesota if he played for the Gophers. The depth and the passion of the fan base simply dwarfs ours, and assuming there are even any jobs in the state of Ohio in five years, I think he'll be fine.

Don't get me wrong, I would love it if Seantrel came here and I think in many ways it would be a smart move for him, but lets not act like he would go to Ohio State and fade into oblivion.

Well, it's happened before to supposedly sure-fire Minnesota prospects. And that ain't acting, it's history. I like what Pete had to say. Perhaps one of the better posts in a long while.

For those interested...Seantrel made another "unofficial visit" to the U tonight, he was looking huge at McDonald's, and him and Royce were chatting it up...I have a feeling he's coming here...or a hope...that's the situation

For those interested...Seantrel made another "unofficial visit" to the U tonight, he was looking huge at McDonald's, and him and Royce were chatting it up...I have a feeling he's coming here...or a hope...that's the situation

I'm interested and thanks...The real reason I want Seantrel to suit up is that I think it would help to change the total outlook on the Gophers nationally and help us turn the corner into becoming a consistent contender in the Big Ten. If we land MR. Henderson, can you imagine the recruits we'll be able to land next year and for the years to come? I really don't know what are chances are, but Seantrel has the opportunity to change the face of our progream for the immediate future and for the years to come.

Damn I hope Gopherhole lights up on National Signing Day with outrageous claims about Seantrel playing football and basketball; him playing running back, playing on special teams, running for Governor, etc.......Bring it on Seantrel, we'll be ready for ya buddy!

Sounds like the kind of unofficial that Michael Floyd likes to make to the U. Floyd committed to Notre Dame and hangs out at the U when he comes home. Not exactly helpful.

If this was the case, I'd say that whatever comments Royce made about the U of M could be significant (for better or worse).

Not sure you're thinking clearly/critically here, Ole.

Most of today's 'loyal' Gopher football fans are typically in their Golden Years. If you read this entire thread, then you will get the sense that local college-aged fans tend to be bored, lukewarm, or are of the "Show Me' variety.

Your comment above is not only quite hilarious, but has me wondering where this pipeline of loyal Gopher fans will be emanating from?

Perhaps there is a leap in logic to your statement?

Ok here goes, and I do know this isn't a widely accepted idea, it's what I think will happen.
Every year a few thousand freshmen come to the U. Now we have a home, a stadium and gameday experience worth giving a damn about. A certain amount of freshmen from here on out will become fans of the football program, follow it, show up and be loud, graduate, buy tickets, show up and be loud. That wasn't happening at the dome. There was a 30 year disconnect between the football team and campus. Winning will accelerate this, mediocrity will not stop it, losing bad may slow it, but it's going to build every year. I simply refuse to be a cynic regarding student support.

Ok here goes, and I do know this isn't a widely accepted idea, it's what I think will happen.
Every year a few thousand freshmen come to the U. Now we have a home, a stadium and gameday experience worth giving a damn about. A certain amount of freshmen from here on out will become fans of the football program, follow it, show up and be loud, graduate, buy tickets, show up and be loud. That wasn't happening at the dome. There was a 30 year disconnect between the football team and campus. Winning will accelerate this, mediocrity will not stop it, losing bad may slow it, but it's going to build every year. I simply refuse to be a cynic regarding student support.

Ole,

I hear ya...and I appreciate your optimism.

My concern grew after observing first hand the pathetic display of student support during TCF's inaugural season.:rolleyes:

If the students couldn't get excited (and sustain it for 3 months) last fall, then I may not have as much faith in them as you do.

Henderson and his pops are at the hoops game with some of the Gopher staff. So either being used and strung along or the greatest silent verbal surprise in the history of college football.

Ole,

I hear ya...and I appreciate your optimism.

My concern grew after observing first hand the pathetic display of student support during TCF's inaugural season.:rolleyes:

If the students couldn't get excited (and sustain it for 3 months) last fall, then I may not have as much faith in them as you do.

CC~
I think the problem was that it was the first season. I'm guessing more folks who cared less bought seats to be part of the opening. Then, when their fairweatherness wasn't fed by wins they stopped caring or said "eh, its too cold". The mistake most here (including myself) made was that the stadium would be enough to overcome the apathy. Not true obviously.

As new students arrive each year the U has already shown that they're going to do a good job of involving the freshmen and teaching them how to participate in FB from the start. If this continues, then in 4 or 5 years you'll have a group of students that has known nothing but TCF...that should help with sustaining attendence even when we're not winning. Though to be fair, a big win season sometime in that period would go a long way to cementing the attendence.

Henderson and his pops are at the hoops game with some of the Gopher staff. So either being used and strung along or the greatest silent verbal surprise in the history of college football.

I sat directly behind Seantrel and his dad at the game today. First off, the the man is enormous and his dad looks like he's 22. Henderson and his pops were sitting with Brewster and Brewster was in their ears the whole game. He even had his arm around him for awhile! lol Was this an official or what? Call me an optimist, but Seantrel sure seems comfortable around the U. Royce and Bryant Allen came by and gave him some love and he just seems to get along with everyone down there.

I was really hoping the student section would see him and start a chant but it never happened. I gave him a little shout out about coming to the "U" and he just smiled. Anyways, thought I'd pass it along.

I consider myself a pretty big Gopher Football fan. But I didn't watch one game while I was a college student. Not that I disliked it at the time, it just never made it to the top of my list of things to do. I'm pretty sure the top ten spaces on that list had something to do with trying to get laid. Plus it interefered with my sleep and recovery. What I'm trying to say is that future life time fans aren't necessarily evolved out of the student section of the stadium. They might not even be Gopoher Alums but rather transplants who like the college game. Some might have never even been to college.

I consider myself a pretty big Gopher Football fan. But I didn't watch one game while I was a college student. Not that I disliked it at the time, it just never made it to the top of my list of things to do. I'm pretty sure the top ten spaces on that list had something to do with trying to get laid. Plus it interefered with my sleep and recovery. What I'm trying to say is that future life time fans aren't necessarily evolved out of the student section of the stadium. They might not even be Gopoher Alums but rather transplants who like the college game. Some might have never even been to college.

Or like me, they are MN natives who chose a smaller college but never stopped being Gopher fans.

What are the chances he doesn't qualify?
If he goes to the gophers 93%
If he goes anywhere else 0%

Top Bottom