Scoggins' mailbag: How did Minnesota become such a state of basketball?

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Chip:

Q: Maybe you have written this and I missed it but I'd be interested in your insight on AAU hoops growth here and how its turned us into state of basketball. -- @Brianallie

A: I did a project in 2017 examining this question. Here is that story. Minnesota was late to the game in allowing kids to play AAU basketball. Once the MSHSL opened the door, the growth of basketball in Minnesota skyrocketed. This truly has become a basketball state when you consider at all the blue-chip high school talent being produced.

Go Gophers!!

AAU is where the "strong ass offers" come from.

No surprise, there is very little public information about teams and who the coaches of these teams are.

AAU is where the "strong ass offers" come from.

No surprise, there is very little public information about teams and who the coaches of these teams are.

"Strong ass offers" were coming in well before the advent of AAU.

Go Gophers!!

There are several class AAU coaches in the state. BUT LIKE IN ANYTHING ELSE IT ONLY TAKES A COUPLE TO RUIN THE REPUTATION OF ALL. For over 20 years the focus of any pre scouting has been high school for me. So much more can be learned about a kid and his family. I f he can really play then the competition answer will be done by a staff at AAU events or elite camp. A staff can steer clear of the scum pretty easier. They are asking for something or giving something, they are eliminated. If they have a entourage they are eliminated. AAU is running hot in the state now but they did not make all these players and like any state there will be periods when there are a lot of really good players and years when there will not be. Just look at the rankings of Minnesota kids going back 10 years and see how many actually went on to win conference titles, get to final 4's, or win a national title or get to the NBA. Look at kids that did that and they are from places that produce far more talent over the same time.

Top Bottom