Scholarships for Walk Ons

nsmike

Reaction score
I was looking at the scholarship grid on FBT which shows 23 available scholarships. Do you think Brewster will be awarding any scholarships to walk ons? I think that Kyle Henderson has earned one and maybe Ed Cotton. Walk ons usally are awarded scholarships after they've been in the program two years so that they only count towards the 85 scholarship limit and not the yearly limit so I didn't consider redshirt freshmen.

Every year a handful of walk-ons get scholarships. It's good policy.

I'd be disappointed if a walk on who paid the dues and has a great attitude wasn't rewarded with a scholarship after solid performance on the field. Maybe we should trade a scholarship for a walk on in some of these situations (realize we can't). Perhaps it would motivate those who need a push.

Now and then, someone objects to giving scholarships to walk ons, figuring we have them already. But that's killing the goose that laid the golden egg. We get some really good walkons because we can offer the hope of winning a scholarship. Our walkons would be of very poor quality if there was no chance of winning a scholarship.

Traditionally we give out 1-4 scholarships. I think Henderson's a lock to get one, the big question is, does anyone else get one? The number of recruits we can sign will in part be determined by how many walk ons get scholarships. So let's discuss it.

I was looking at the scholarship grid on FBT which shows 23 available scholarships. Do you think Brewster will be awarding any scholarships to walk ons? I think that Kyle Henderson has earned one and maybe Ed Cotton. Walk ons usally are awarded scholarships after they've been in the program two years so that they only count towards the 85 scholarship limit and not the yearly limit so I didn't consider redshirt freshmen.

I think they can wait until the season too.
I think Aaron Hill, Henderson, and possibly the Botticelli kid from wisky may be in line for schollies.
I don't know much about Ed Cotton, but it could be he plays where Rengel was going to on special teams.

I believe the tradition is after summer camp and before the season. Hill and Botticelli would count against last years recuiting class because the haven't been here two years. Svenum is a senior and might get one but it wouldnt matter for recuiting. It'll be interesting.

1-year scholarships are the typical way of dispersing leftover schollies.

lets Not forget nothing is ever for sure as a walk on. I think the punter from last year was not on scholarship during the season.

lets Not forget nothing is ever for sure as a walk on. I think the punter from last year was not on scholarship during the season.

Agreed. From what I learn, very few kickers/punters START their college careers as scholarship athletes. I remember Monroe, Kucek and Hauden were all granted scholarships during the first years they started.

Who will punt this year?

Orseske will take back his original punting duties from last year because if it weren't for him catching mono, he would have punted all season in Hauden's place

Walkons always get schollies if they are available. Brew really doesn't have to plan for it though, as some have alluded to traditionally in any program kids don't show up at the last minute and one becomes available. Upper classmen usually get those. Brew will make a big deal about it on one of his shows at some point during the year. He understands the value of it, and will expoit it to it's maximum benefit, as he should.

Orseske will take back his original punting duties from last year because if it weren't for him catching mono, he would have punted all season in Hauden's place

You bring up a great point. I think it is hard to say orseske would have continued all the way through the season though. Hauden had to do something right to stay on the field once everyone is mono free and healthy. I think it all worked out in the end for everyone involved.

It's not just getting over mono it's getting over the side effects. Mono causes your spleen to swell and become subject to rupturing. Until the spleen goes back to normal size, contact sports are out, you can be symtom free and still have an elarged spleen. Unless you're a doctor, with access to Orseke's medical records, you can't say that he could have played. Hauden played well enough that the coaching staff could afford to be cautious but we can't say it wasn't necassary.

Oh i thought we were all doctors. Very good points made. Ya Hauden didnt do too bad for not playing for four years and stepping in. Not positive the final numbers or results.

Top Bottom