Safety Review On Scout

Stargenes

Reaction score
Attached Is Story; anyone heard how many games suspension Theret has to serve? Others have served two games. Frankly, I am not so certain Kyle is reinserted in a starting roll immediately upon his return. Obviously, Grant feels differently.

Gopher Football Preview: Safety Kyle Theret

By Grant Erickson
GoldenSports.net Staff
Posted Jul 31, 2010

| More

Anchoring the defensive backfield are senior starters Kim Royston and Kyle Theret. Minnesota will rely on these two head-hunters to ignite the defense with their physical play and provide leadership for a group of inexperienced defenders.

The one position on the Gopher defense that looked to have experienced starters was at the safety spot. This was the case until this spring when starting safety Kimuel Royston broke his leg at spring practice and senior Kyle Theret was suspended for a violation of team rules.

The best case scenario would be if Royston would be healthy enough to play some of the season and Theret would be reinstated to lead the Gophers from opening day. With this scenario in mind let’s take a look at the Gopher’s safeties for 2010.

Key Starter:
The first starter at the safety position will hopefully be Kyle Theret. Theret has been a solid presence in the secondary over the past two seasons for the Gophers by starting every game.

Last season Theret had 73 tackles and three interceptions last season. His nine career interceptions rank him fifth all-time in Gopher history. The Gopher secondary will be much better if Theret is cleared to play.

The Gophers will have a very young and inexperienced and will need the maturity and leadership of someone like Theret on the field.

Key Reserve:
One reserve who may see the field more than anticipated is redshirt freshman, Kenny Watkins. Watkins, a 6-foot, 187 pound speedster was one of the starters at safety during the Gophers’ spring game when both Royston and Theret were unable to play. Watkins has a good build and is flat-out fast. He reportedly has been timed at a 4.4 40 yard dash.

Watkins is a smart athlete who makes good reads on the ball and on defenders. Although he does not have any experience playing at the college level, Watkins may end up getting as much playing time as he can handle.

Incoming Freshman:
One incoming safety for the Gophers is James Manuel from Warren Central High School in Indianapolis. Manuel is solid recruit who could development into a great player.

The first thing to notice about Manuel is his size. He is 6-foot-2 and 200 pounds. This size helps Manuel be a very physical player which is a must for a safety at the college level.

Manuel told Scout.com, “I’m a real physical player. I’m pretty tough and like making the hits. I bring a lot of energy to the game. I’m also tall, so I can take on the taller receivers and tight ends. I have an eye for the ball.” Look for Manuel to be a star in the Gopher secondary in the future.

I believe that we will see quite a bit of Manuel by the second half of the year and likely one of the Frosh CB's as well (Vereen or Bouie).

Attachments

• XBRDLDNXDHKEBZQ.20100706194624[1].jpg
    XBRDLDNXDHKEBZQ.20100706194624[1].jpg
    100.8 KB · Views: 13

The story is a little short sighted. While they focus on the safeties, there is no mention of Carter returning as one of the best corners in the league. I would love to see a player like Watkins beat out Collado on the other side and be able to provide press coverage.

The one player on defense that we need an answer on is Gary Tinsley. Will he start? His presence behind the wall of Edwards and Kirksey and Theret behind him is strength up the middle.

When it comes to the flanks, its Hageman, Rallis, and hopefully Watkins on one side.
Whilhite, Cooper, and Carter on the other.

If Theret and Royston play halves, rotate to a side, or blitz Theret and or Cooper we should still should be able to cover.

This is a case where talent is more valuable than experience.

Coach 'em up!

The story is a little short sighted. While they focus on the safeties, there is no mention of Carter returning as one of the best corners in the league.
...because it's focusing on safeties and he's not one.

He left it open in the first sentence

Anchoring the defensive backfield are senior starters Kim Royston and Kyle Theret. Minnesota will rely on these two head-hunters to ignite the defense with their physical play and provide leadership for a group of inexperienced defenders

I disagree with this opening sentence. First it could be argued that having Carter at corner able to press man coverage is certainly a strength, able to provide some leadership, if not be an anchor in the secondary. And then to overlook his talent and include him in a group of inexperienced defenders is the final straw. And when it comes to inexperienced defenders is he including Rallis, Cooper, Tinsley, Edwards, Kirksey? Again certainly Edwards and Kirksey have the ability to ignite the defense with their physical play.

The only true inexperienced player on the first team defense is probably the most anticipated additon. Mr. Hageman.

The only true inexperienced player on the first team defense is probably the most anticipated additon. Mr. Hageman.

:clap:

this!

Our quote unquote inexperienced defense...actually has a lot of experience. And when your most unknown quantity is a freak of nature like Hageman, well....that's a pretty good sign.

:clap:

this!

Our quote unquote inexperienced defense...actually has a lot of experience. And when your most unknown quantity is a freak of nature like Hageman, well....that's a pretty good sign.

BOOM!

That is what I have been thinking when I read this stuff too...

If experience= starts, then yes, they are "inexperienced". If experience= Playing time, then I am happy with our defense. Time will tell if I am right, but I am certainly far more concerned with the Offense.
I had always been told that mistakes are alright if you make them at full speed. I see this group as one that will fly around some. Mistakes will be made, but athleticism can cover a lot of sins.

"The best case scenario would be if Royston would be healthy enough to play some of the season"

Isn't Brewster maintaining that Royston will be ready for MTSU?

I count experience as productive playing time. Each of the players had that, each demonstrated ability to excel in the game. If you take my definition of productive playing time then players like Jacobs, KGM, qualify as depth as well. I would argue we a deeper, more talented, faster, and more athletic on defense than I can remember and that takes in the 1977 defense, the 1968 defense, and the 1999 defense.

The best thing the roster is pretty well stocked with freshman players who need not start. Lagania, Ferguson, and Tauaefe at DT, Garrin as a redshirt freshman, maybe. Weight room, conditioning, weight room, film study, practice, weight room.

There was some back and forth about not mentioning the CBs so here is the Scout CB preview:

"I think that a True Frosh CB will end up playing between Vereen or Bouie, however Kyle Henderson may well continue to impress. Watkins will be maintained at Safety along with Lewis who will likely play some Nickel as well, if we play any Nickel this year.

The Gophers have their work cut out for them trying to replace departed cornerbacks Marcus Sherels and Traye Simmons. With cornerback as an area of concern, the Gophers have several players who can fill the void left by Sherels and Simmons.

Projected Starters:
The most experienced cornerback on the roster is 5-foot-9 senior, Ryan Collado. Collado has spent time at both safety and corner in his career with the Gophers. He showed great promise last year compiling 34 tackles, four tackles for a loss and two sacks. Collado’s best game was against Iowa where he had nine tackles and two sacks. Collado will be called upon to use his big-game experience to lead the younger Gopher corners.

The other projected started at cornerback is sophomore Michael Carter. The 5-foot-11 corner is the cousin of Gopher great Tyrone Carter. As a freshman, Carter got some valuable playing experience against teams like Purdue, Penn State and Ohio State. On the season, Carter had 11 tackles, one sack and a forced fumble. This season the youngster will be called on to be a solid defender on the outside.

Projected Top Reserves:
The Gopher’s main cornerback reserve will most likely be junior, Johnny Johnson. Johnson, a 5-foot-9 corner from Chicago, Illinois. Most of Johnson’s playing time comes on special teams so he seen only limited time at corner. Despite a lack of quality statistics, Johnson has shown great passion and could see the field more often this season on passing downs.

Incoming Freshman:
One incoming freshman who shows real promise is Tyrone Bouie from Seminole, Florida. Tyrone is a larger corner standing 6 feet tall and uses this to play more aggressively on defense. Bouie is a good athlete who can "

AS for aafetys, Watkins and Lewis, are more athletic and better players than Royston and Theret! That being said it doesen't mean they should start right off the bat. Experience is big, but I expect Watkins and lewis to see alot of fooball. CB, if he doesn't start to begin with I predict Henderson will replace Collado before the yr. is over. Collado will probably be the nickle. The Fr. will redshirt.

AS for aafetys, Watkins and Lewis, are more athletic and better players than Royston and Theret! That being said it doesen't mean they should start right off the bat. Experience is big, but I expect Watkins and lewis to see alot of fooball. CB, if he doesn't start to begin with I predict Henderson will replace Collado before the yr. is over. Collado will probably be the nickle. The Fr. will redshirt.

In what game did you see the gophers bring in a 5th db? That's kinda like saying I will be the starting QB when they run the wishbone.:cool:

So, after all that it comes down to Carter at one corner, and what 4 guys battling Collado for the other corner? This series of stories about the secondary is what 12 column inches and it comes down to Henderson, Bouie, Veeren, Johnson, or Collado.

Top Bottom