Safety Preview (Ortiz?)

Gophergrandpa

Reaction score
Looks like we have established vets and good depth at safety. But it seems that 4* RFrosh Ortiz isn’t climbing the chart. Is he nicked up? Has he not responded well to S&C coaching (still at HS weight)? What did folks who attended the open practice see of Ortiz? I thought he might be a next-guy-up person. But, in this article at least, it seems as though true Frosh, Coleman Bryson is getting more “press” from the coaching staff.

Last edited:

Looks like we have established vets and good depth at safety. But it seems that 4* RFrosh Ortiz isn’t climbing the chart. Is he nicked up? Has he not responded well to S&C coaching (still at HS weight)? What did folks who attended the open practice see of Ortiz? I thought he might be a next-guy-up person. But, in this article at least, it seems as though true Frosh, Coleman Bryson is getting more “press” from the coaching staff.

Wasn't Ortiz gonna be a nickel corner most likely?

He’s on the depth chart, apparently, at safety. Maybe also at nickel. In either event, not in two deeps. Still early, but …

Well, he is only a redshirt freshman and outside of Walley (who is clearly a special talent), I believe everyone else who will see playing time at CB or S are 3rd year or later, right?

He’s on the depth chart, apparently, at safety. Maybe also at nickel. In either event, not in two deeps. Still early, but …
No need for a but....

Ortiz is a redshirt freshman and we have a ton of experienced depth in our secondary. I also wouldn't put a ton of stock in any depth charts that are out there right now.

We always want to see guys make an impact quickly but it often takes multiple years for players to hit their stride and become key players.

No need for a but....

Ortiz is a redshirt freshman and we have a ton of experienced depth in our secondary. I also wouldn't put a ton of stock in any depth charts that are out there right now.

We always want to see guys make an impact quickly but it often takes multiple years for players to hit their stride and become key players.
He has the luxury to develop. We will see him in a year.

Top Bottom