Sad day for Gopher fans, we're losing a class act, and a hard-working player?

FreakyDeke

picked a dumb moniker
Reaction score
This was posted on the Gopher Hole Facebook page, but there is no other info...what's up?

It's Travis Busch on the basketball team....

Thanks for the hard work Travis but I think this move is best for both sides.

Travis Busch was the Gophers best post up player this past year. Not joking.

Good bye to the dream of a good, hard working, but not superstar level kid in Minnesota having a shot at the University, for Mens' hoops any way.

It is how it is, but it is kind of a sad sign and I believe the young man will be missed. It's a good deal for Winona State if that's where he finishes.

No more "feel good stories" in Men's Hoops at the U though.

Does this mean the pressure rises a notch for Tubby to actually compete with MSU, Illinois, et. al? He has won a few he possibly shouldn't have and he has lost a few he possibly shouldn't have.

I suppose it's good for Men's Hoops, but is it really good for Men's Hoops. The possibility of a dream coming true, even if it hardly ever happens is a luxury that the U of M Men's Hoops program apparently can no longer afford. It's a pretty sad day for a lot of young kids and probably not any one else. Dreams are a dime a dozen anyway, aren't they?

If you ever dreamed of "walking on" at the U most likely you should just forget about. I'll kind of miss those walk-ons who win a scholarship. I think it is time for Tubby to start winning often and to start winning big if we are going to give up that "feel good" element from the Men's Hoops program. And so it goes...

Freaky, go to the basketball board, I posted a link (taken down) but GopherLady copied the whole thing. Basically, Busch is not getting a scholarship next year, is graduating, and wants to play somewhere else for his last year of eligibility.

Where is all the anger directed at Tubby???

Brewster pulled an offer to a prospective player and was reemed by people on this board.... tubby pulls a scholarship and it's...oh well...that's life....

Double standard?

?????

Mav,

Totally understand where you're coming and agree with you to a point however, Busch's scholly (I believe) was awarded on a year to year basis. So Tubby didn't really "pull" Busch's scholarship he just didn't renew it for him.

BUSCH WAS A WALK-ON!!!!

I repeat....Busch was a walk-on. The 2 years that he was on scholarship were rewards from Tubby for hard work, etc. He certainly couldn't have expected anything more.

OH! Obviously the situation where a player walks on and works hard and earns a scholarship.... only to have it be not renewed by the coach is much more understandable and the coach is much more forgiven than Brewster's situation of offering a player who won't accept the offer soon enough, the position fills with another player who does accept the offer, the end result being that Brewster is crucified by many on this board and in the media for being "Heartless" and "mean" and "sending the wrong message to recruits", etc, etc, etc....

Tubby is getting away with stuff that Brewster gets hammered for...end of story.

Tubby is getting away with stuff that Brewster gets hammered for...end of story.

When you win and have actually proven yourself as Tubby has you get a longer leash. There was nothing shady about what Tubby did, Busch knew going in it was year to year.

OH! Obviously the situation where a player walks on and works hard and earns a scholarship.... only to have it be not renewed by the coach is much more understandable and the coach is much more forgiven than Brewster's situation of offering a player who won't accept the offer soon enough, the position fills with another player who does accept the offer, the end result being that Brewster is crucified by many on this board and in the media for being "Heartless" and "mean" and "sending the wrong message to recruits", etc, etc, etc....

Maverick - I'm sorry, and I missing something? Did this happen on the football side - where a walk-on was told that just for the year, he would receive a scholarship because there would be extras, and it was on a year to year basis where nothing was promised long term? As much as I love Travis Busch, I find nothing shady or wrong with this. Did something similar happen with the football team and Brewster was ripped? Please, re-fresh my memory, I honestly can't remember. It would be a completely different situation had he been promised a scholarship every year.

And if you don't want to click over, here's the article. Not sure why it was taken down:

Travis Busch leaving the Gophers men's basketball team after losing his scholarship
Pioneer Press
Updated: 04/08/2009 09:52:34 PM CDT

Junior Travis Busch has decided to leave the University of Minnesota men's basketball team after having his scholarship pulled.

Busch, a 6-foot-4 guard who averaged 3.7 points and 11.1 minutes a game last season, has been told by coach Tubby Smith that there is no scholarship for him next season.

Busch, who was Mr. Basketball Minnesota in 2005 at Mounds View High School, will graduate next month with a degree in communications. He has one season of eligibility remaining and plans to enroll in graduate school and play somewhere. But the cost would be too much to justify remaining with the Gophers.

Busch received a tender the past two seasons at Minnesota and says he would stay if he could keep it.

"There comes a time in your life when you don't want to ask your parents for more money," Busch said Wednesday. "But when one door closes, another door opens."

Busch, an academic all-Big Ten Conference honoree with a 3.6 grade-point average last semester, has nothing but positive things to say about Smith and the Gophers.

"(Smith) understands where I'm coming from, and I understand where he's coming from," Busch said. "It's not like there's any bad blood or animosity. He's been a great coach, and I've learned a lot from him.

"It's one of those things, a numbers game. That's why I've got to make a change. I've had a great time there; I love the coaches and players, and it's been a great experience."

Winona State and Nebraska-Omaha are among
Advertisement
schools interested in Busch.

"We'll see what's out there," he said.

Good bye to the dream of a good, hard working, but not superstar level kid in Minnesota having a shot at the University, for Mens' hoops any way.

It is how it is, but it is kind of a sad sign and I believe the young man will be missed. It's a good deal for Winona State if that's where he finishes.

Does this mean the pressure rises a notch for Tubby to actually compete with MSU, Illinois, et. al? He has won a few he possibly shouldn't have and he has lost a few he possibly shouldn't have.

I suppose it's good for Men's Hoops, but is it really good for Men's Hoops. The possibility of a dream coming true, even if it hardly ever happens is a luxury that the U of M Men's Hoops program apparently can no longer afford. It's a pretty sad day for a lot of young kids and probably not any one else. Dreams are a dime a dozen anyway, aren't they?

If you ever dreamed of "walking on" at the U most likely you should just forget about. I'll kind of miss those walk-ons who win a scholarship. I think it is time for Tubby to start winning often and to start winning big if we are going to give up that "feel good" element from the Men's Hoops program. And so it goes...

Gimme a break. Tubby wasn't hired to have a team full of "Rudys". Travis Busch transferred home to WALK ON and play for Dan Monson. Travis got two years of free school courtesy of Tubby Smith....more than he could have ever expected and a heckuva lot more than most coaches would've given him. Think Calipari's gonna reward walkons at Kentucky?

And does this mean the pressure rises? Duh.

That's correct

I couldn't remember his name.

Don't get me wrong. I'm not suggesting or even implying that Tubby is doing anything wrong or shady here. I am a huge supporter of Tubby and support this decision wholeheartedly.

I am picking on the posters who roasted Brewster for doing almost the same thing with Rock. Rock had an offer of a scholarship, waited too long and Brewster filled it with someone else.

Many posters, (not me) roasted Brewster for that action. Rock knew there was a time limit to his offer just like Busch knew it was a year to year thing for him, yet Brewster got crucified.

Both coaches handled similar situations properly and correctly. One just got hammered for it and one didn't.

GG hit the nail on the head when he said winning gets you a longer leash....aka: Tubby

I'm just pointing out the inconsistincies of posters with an agenda....

Terrible post! do you want to win or watch sub-par Big Ten players trying hard?

Don't get me wrong. I'm not suggesting or even implying that Tubby is doing anything wrong or shady here. I am a huge supporter of Tubby and support this decision wholeheartedly.

I am picking on the posters who roasted Brewster for doing almost the same thing with Rock. Rock had an offer of a scholarship, waited too long and Brewster filled it with someone else.

Many posters, (not me) roasted Brewster for that action. Rock knew there was a time limit to his offer just like Busch knew it was a year to year thing for him, yet Brewster got crucified.

Both coaches handled similar situations properly and correctly. One just got hammered for it and one didn't.

GG hit the nail on the head when he said winning gets you a longer leash....aka: Tubby

Thanks for clarifying. Personally, I don't think these situations are very similar, they're like comparing apples to oranges. If you want to look at a more similar situation, it would be Darius Smith vs. Fritz Rock. They both had their spots filled by Justin Cobbs and Victor Keise. I think they are a little different in the fact that Smith was told pretty clearly that he could accept right away, or Cobbs would be visiting within the next few weeks. To my knowledge, Rock was never given a timeline, and they changed the total number of WR's they wanted to sign from one week to the next. Which is Brewster's prerogative, he gets to make choices for the team, that's why he's the HC and we're not.

My point being, I don't think the situations are similar at all. I also don't think Busch feels he got slighted, he got 2 years paid for, vs. the 0 he expected.

And for the record, there's no doubt Tubby does get a longer leash. You can say that's a double standard, but I'd say he's earned it.

I think the player Maverick is referring to is Brody Grandas. Same situation, he was a walk-on from Cretin-Derham Hall who had earned a scholarship. He played fullback and safety. Brewster decided not to renew his scholarship when he arrived, and some speculated that was a poor move in light of the Michael Floyd/Joe Schafer situation. Most people referred to this as Brewster "pulling" his scholarship. Correct me if I'm wrong, but this is how I recall it.

http://www.gophersports.com/ViewArt...80&DB_OEM_ID=8400&ATCLID=261379&Q_SEASON=2006

Mav,

You need to work on your sarcasm - or realize that these situations are totally different. BTW - I thought Brewster did it right when he pulled the scholly offer to Rock and I think Tubby is right to not renew Travis's scholly.

I think we can all agree that college sports is a brutal business for players and coaches alike.

Speaking of Fritz Rock, did he ever commit? Rivals shows him as still undecided.

Yes, indeed: college Men's Hoops is a tough business. Of course, the multi-million dollar pay days that the marketplace allows means that expectations have to skyrocket starting from day one. Middle of the pack conference finishes and barely making the tournament and exiting in the first round are not really good enough when over 2 million a year in salary is paid to a coach.

Tubby's a good man and he is also a very good coach who has a NC. That means that he will answer the phone if it rings to learn who is on the other end. That means that he will let his bosses know that he is in demand. That means that his bosses had better be willing to make sure he gets everything he wants. Yes, it is good being a coach with a successful track record and it is good to win the games that you should win and look decent in the games that maybe you are an under dog in.

Tubby is in a great position at the University of Minnesota. He will dictate what he wants done. It is FAR better to have a coach in that position than to have one in most any other position.

Still, I will always be kind of sad to see the pure story of a walk-on player end with that player having to continue his walk while he still has elegibility left. I'm just a sentimental kind of Horatio Alger Story loving fan who always likes the human interest story of the little engine that could...

There is nothing wrong with what Brewster did to Fritz Rock or what Tubby did to Travis Busch. /thread

I'm curious if Busch has inquired about a grad asst position? It's fun to play ball but you can play ball in men's leagues throughout the metro and he clearly isn't going to make a career out of it, coaching is where it is at if he wants to stay in the game.

Good riddance to Busch. I'm sure there's a good rec league that he can keep playing with.

Top Bottom