Ryan Field

MKE_Gopher

Reaction score
I was at the game today, drove down from Milwaukee to catch it with my brother. A few things really stood out to me that I was surprised to find and didn't know.

1. No lights for night games
2. Out of town scoreboard sucked and there were never any in game stats read off or put up on the screen.
3. Others have touched on it, horrible fan support. We had a group of gopher faithful sitting on our sideline at the 40 and we got yelled at for sining the rouser and doing cheers by the people behind us. They said that we should just sit quiet and hold all that noise for our own stadium.
4. 22,000 for your Big Ten opener???
5. Stadium was pieced together. It was obvious where the additions were made, no big picture was ever imagined for Ryan Field

What did others think? There were a lot of Gopher fans there too. I'd say 3,000-4,000 AND WE WERE LOUD

You guys were loud and could be heard clearly on TV, nice job!

I was there last time. Been to a few other fields. Ryan Field sucks all around, definitely pieced together.

I was at the Purdue-NW game last year, I didn't think much up Ryan Field as it was but I think if they were willing to put the money into it I think it could be really cool. Start by updating the towers on the home side. Then extend the pressbox it each tower following the curve. Clean and add some color to the concourse. Just my opinion but I thought with enough money it could be really cool and nice(like most places). Welsh-Ryan Arena on the other hand is pretty much hopeless.

As for 22000 people the easiest way to fix that is to just win baby.

i thought it was a home game. Since when does the northwestern fans where maroon and gold to their games. I think it was at TCF. And that's what I'm going to believe until someone can show me a pic with more norhtwestern fans than gopher fans.

I was at the game today, drove down from Milwaukee to catch it with my brother. A few things really stood out to me that I was surprised to find and didn't know.

1. No lights for night games
2. Out of town scoreboard sucked and there were never any in game stats read off or put up on the screen.
3. Others have touched on it, horrible fan support. We had a group of gopher faithful sitting on our sideline at the 40 and we got yelled at for sining the rouser and doing cheers by the people behind us. They said that we should just sit quiet and hold all that noise for our own stadium.
4. 22,000 for your Big Ten opener???
5. Stadium was pieced together. It was obvious where the additions were made, no big picture was ever imagined for Ryan Field

What did others think? There were a lot of Gopher fans there too. I'd say 3,000-4,000 AND WE WERE LOUD

1. I didn't look for lights but I'm positive they have had plenty of night games there in recent years. If there are no lights then that's a recent change.
2. They put out of town scores on the scoreboard once a quarter. I've been to stadiums that were better and I've been to stadiums that were worse. They did put game stats up at halftime....pretty extensive stats, but that was about it.

some stadiums just bring in temp lighting for night games...not sure if it's still the case but I know OSU never had lights and would use temp lighting.

I missed the stats at halftime then. I saw small banks of 3 lights but they seemed way too small to properly light the field for a night game. Looked more security lights to me.

I'm actually disappointed that we only had 3,000-4,000 show up. This was OUR BT opener too, and Evanston is the third-closest BT school to Minnesota. The nary six-hour drive from Minneapolis to Chicago and the vast abundance of available tickets means that our fans had ample opportunity to own that stadium, or at least number favorably compared to the NU fans.

That said, those Gopher fans that were there were definitely loud, and BTN probably showed Minnesota fans more often than NU fans when panning the crowd.

I can only imagine that if the team progresses over the next two years, next time around we'll have more in Evanston.

Ryan Field does suck

Every time we go there the weather is not very good. I'm still horse from the game and tired
from all of the driving. A 5 to 6 hour drive is not that bad though. Like the previous poster said
tickets are always available but they charge way to much for the crappiest place in the Big10 besides Indiana.

Just win baby?? They had a really good year last year.

It's amazing they are so close to the 3rd largest city in country, and they can't get people to show up for a Big Ten football game? Obviously the city of Chicago has never adopted this University as their own.

Donovan, I didn't realize how good Northwestern record was last year(9-5 after a bowl game loss to Mizzou).

Chicago hasn't adopted Northwestern as there University for multiple reason including NW hasn't had the success that other programs have, many college grad who are loyal to alma mater move to Chicago, Chicago is a pro football town(Da Bears), and Ryan Field is about 40 mins by car north of downtown or over a hour by Public Transit(both of these are according to Google Maps).

But you would think there would be enough people intereted in Chicagoland(pop 8.15 million) to fill a 43000 seat stadium 7 times a year.

But in the end Dovonan the best way to fill a stadium it to win big and win often.

Love NW

Its a great place to walk through a beautiful campus. Best part is that although you get crummy seats beyond the end zone - all you have to do is walk over to the 30 and have great seats to watch the game! So few home fans!

The 'Cats get pub and the fans come in when they win (see the Rose Bowl year of 96 and other years where they were better than mediocre), it takes a special season to fill the house. Our last game at Ryan was filled, but then again it was HC for them. They are more of an academic institution, and Chicago is a college sports city, but it's all for different schools. Not many from the Chicago area go to N'Western. I've met more kids from other places than I met from the Chicagoland area.

Also don't forget the Norte Dame effect. Lots of college sports fans in Chicagoland follow the Irish. South Bend is a short drive away.

The Northwestern campus is so beautiful and amazing. And I can't believe that there are FREE tailgating lots on campus. No problem finding a spot at 8:30am to have a few beers.

Top Bottom