Rutgers has fired Chris Ash

He has zero desire. He's doing exactly what he wants to do.

You might have noticed, they lost to Clemson on a bone-head decision to go for a 2pt conversion. Nonetheless, he wants to try to build up UNC to a Clemson level program.

You didn't like that call?

I actually thought it was the right call for UNC. I think they had about a 50/50 chance to pick up those yards. I don't think they would have had a 50/50 chance in OT. I think Mack Brown is right, the longer the game lasts, the more likely the best team wins.

I actually thought it was the right call for UNC. I think they had about a 50/50 chance to pick up those yards. I don't think they would have had a 50/50 chance in OT. I think Mack Brown is right, the longer the game lasts, the more likely the best team wins.

Fair enough. Could be correct.

At the time though, I guarantee I would've kicked the PAT and gone to OT.

The timing of a Fleck change after this year would seem really odd.
Also, going to Rutgers to face MSU, PSU, OSU, and Michigan would seem like a really odd move.
Also, from a family standpoint, doubt Heather would want to move to Jersey.

There are other schools I'd find as way more likely choices.

Yes, I was quite surprised to see Fleck's name pop up. I certainly do not think this is a move Fleck would make. But I wanted to post as it does pertain to the Gophers.

Fleck said the same thing after the Fresno St. game. He said he was ok with it going into OT because he figured he had the better team and the longer the game drew out the more likely it would be that MN would win.

Agreed, I think if you're underdog, go for 2 in that scenario

Bruce Feldman from The Athletic:
"Two wild-card options are Minnesota’s P.J. Fleck and Mississippi State’s Joe Moorhead.

Fleck, 38, spent two seasons as Rutgers’ wide receiver coach (2010-11) and also went with Schiano to Tampa Bay. A dogged recruiter, Fleck already has done a lot of heavy lifting in getting the Gophers cranked up. In addition, Minnesota is in the much, much more favorable side of the Big Ten as a member of the West Division. While his buyout isn’t huge, it seems like a long shot that he’d be tempted by Rutgers."

https://theathletic.com/1251753/2019/09/29/rutgers-scarlet-knights-head-coaching-candidates/

Wild is right. What possible draw could Rutgers have for Fleck over where he is right now? The fact that he was a WR coach there for two seasons? He's on his third season as our head coach.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Wild is right. What possible draw could Rutgers have for Fleck over where he is right now? The fact that he was a WR coach there for two seasons? He's on his third season as our head coach.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Fleck leaving for rutgers is not even on my radar as far as concern goes

I don't think it's about money. He makes great money here, for the area, and lives very well here.

I think it would have to be a generational opportunity at a nationally recognized program, to get him to move. Alabama, or something like that. I could be realistically worried about a place like Michigan, which might consider him if he turns Minnesota into a 10/11 win conf champion in the next few years.

Bruce Feldman from The Athletic:
"Two wild-card options are Minnesota’s P.J. Fleck and Mississippi State’s Joe Moorhead.

Fleck, 38, spent two seasons as Rutgers’ wide receiver coach (2010-11) and also went with Schiano to Tampa Bay. A dogged recruiter, Fleck already has done a lot of heavy lifting in getting the Gophers cranked up. In addition, Minnesota is in the much, much more favorable side of the Big Ten as a member of the West Division. While his buyout isn’t huge, it seems like a long shot that he’d be tempted by Rutgers."

https://theathletic.com/1251753/2019/09/29/rutgers-scarlet-knights-head-coaching-candidates/

Question I have is does Coyle panic and throw more money at Fleck?

Question I have is does Coyle panic and throw more money at Fleck?

I doubt it but I wouldn't be shocked (or even bothered) if he did.

I really can't imagine the Rutgers job is desirable to PJ.

So Feldman floats Flecks' name and then lists all the reasons for why he would be a massive longshot to be interested.

Of course the obvious one is why the F would Fleck have any interest in going to a dumpster fire program when he seemingly has a very good thing going in Minnesota right now? Makes zero sense to even mention his name as an option because he would be taking a clear step backwards if he were to leave Minnesota to go to Rutgers.

The only way Fleck leaves Minnesota on his own is if he is in line for one to the top jobs in college football and he won't be a candidate for those places until he has a sustained run of success at Minnesota. He is not going to leave Minnesota to go start over with some downtrodden program and just flush all the work he has done here.

Stupid speculation on Feldman's part to even try to link Fleck in any way shape or form to a Rutgers job I can't see him having the slightest bit of interest in.

I think that going for the win was the right call, yet I didn't like the play call. Trying to beat Clemson to an edge doesn't seem like the best play, I would have liked to see a TE leak out for a catch.

Fleck leaving for rutgers is not even on my radar as far as concern goes

It's 100% for certain that Fleck is going to Rutgers. I'll even give you the exact date he'll be on their campus coaching football, Oct 19th.

Top Bottom