Rutgers fallout: Tulane joining Big East

The Big East is a complete joke. Just trying to hang on, will take any scraps it can get. Wasn't Tulane thinking of getting rid of football a year or two ago? It's a matter of time before the conference that was created for basketball purposes will just drift off into the sunset, or at best be no more relevant than C-USA, the MAC, or Sun Belt in football.

Tweet: East Carolina & Tulane added today RT @McMurphyESPN: In 2014, nine of the Big East's members will have been former Conference USA members

Go Gophers!!

Good for Tulane to take a step up in competition and national profile. I know they are building a new stadium right now on campus so that could help with their attendance woes at the Superdome right now. No reason Tulane shouldn't be good at football and hopefully they are heading that direction.

I don't recall Tulane ever considering dropping football, but sports had been completely de-emphasized by university administration (sounds familiar). They are in the process of getting approval for a new on-campus stadium, though capacity won't even be 30K.

Basically, the old C-USA is now the Big East, and the old Sun Belt will become the new C-USA.

Tulane was a charter member of the SEC. Bernie Bierman coached there before coming to Minnesota. I believe that Tommy Mason, the Vikings first draft choice, was a Tulane product.

Top Bottom