Run the ball...stop the run this week...iowa made the GOPHER try to beat them with the pass. MUST beat NU with the run.

imthewalrus

Reaction score
Iowa took the run away...knocked a lot of passes down by getting their hands up and letting our receivers catch a bunch of passes. RUN on the Cats and all will be ok.

Iowa took the run away...knocked a lot of passes down by getting their hands up and letting our receivers catch a bunch of passes. RUN on the Cats and all will be ok.

Wait!What? Only two sentences in your post?! Wren, so much discipline in your prose! Well done.

Go Gophers!!

It won't be easy. NW has a solid defense; playing at home; we likely have QB who hasn't played. They will put 8 or 9 in the box and make a frosh QB beat them thru the air. This is a Wildcat squad who went toe to toe at WI and lost by 9.
We'll be fortunate to escape Evanston with a win.

Everytime this hear that we seem to take a run first type approach the opposing teams had no problems stopping is, including in OOC games.

The passing game opens up the run game.

Run some wildcat on the wildcats. Jump start ‘em with a green machine jump pass. Can’t quit ‘cause the qb got dinged. This is football!

It is good to see the veteran Wren from Winona post again.

Yes, Big Ten wins are what matter!

I think we can try to run the ball all day long on Saturday, and it might work. I hope to see #17 Green come in and throw the ball deep to cross up NW, or run some outside stuff, and for other two QBs to run the normal offense for the most part.

There is no way Northwestern can stop this team for four quarters.
If the defense tried to lose this game by playing the worthless, passive style we saw for the first 30 minutes last week in IC, that would not be enough here. Iowa has an awful offense that we brought to life last week, but NU is almost as bad as Rutgers.

I will jump into Lake Michigan from the boardwalk between the Oak Street Beach and the North Avenue Beach at 4PM if we lose to Northwestern.

Let us see what is working and what is not, then go with what is working. But with their weak offense I do not want to give them any turnovers.

Run some wildcat on the wildcats. Jump start ‘em with a green machine jump pass. Can’t quit ‘cause the qb got dinged. This is football!
I agree with this, especially if Morgan is out. We will probably need Green and Ibrahaim more out of the Wildcat even with some option pitch.

I'd sure like to know who came up the Defensive plan for the first half at Iowa. For three straight possessions we saw a lot of one slow footed LB, a lot of soft DB play and a lot of four man rushes.

Zero pressure, three TDs.

Okay, I am 0-4 at Kinnick, now so these things sort of annoy me. Watching a 250 pound, 4.9 40 tailback run wild in 2013 was sort of annoying but this was worse. I guess the second half was better. #7

PJ Fleck Show this evening should be interesting. We'll see if Coach tips anything.

It won't be easy. NW has a solid defense; playing at home; we likely have QB who hasn't played. They will put 8 or 9 in the box and make a frosh QB beat them thru the air. This is a Wildcat squad who went toe to toe at WI and lost by 9.
We'll be fortunate to escape Evanston with a win.

Come on....really....fortunate to escape Evanston with a win?

You can't take any team for granted, but this is a bad Northwestern team this year and one we should definitely beat if we play anywhere close to how we are capable of playing. Defense should be extra motivated after the way they played against Iowa and Northwestern's offense has really struggled all year.

If we a top 25 team then this is a game we win. Iowa is a really good team and Kinnick is a really hostile environment. Northwestern is having a major down year and Evanston is not a hostile environment at all (they don't draw well when they are winning) so things like noise shouldn't be a factor.

I expect the defense to come out fired up and to shut down the NU offense. Then it will just be on the offense to put some points on the board which should not be an issue. Northwestern has a solid defense but they are light years below the likes of Iowa and Penn State.

Can we please skin the 'cats so we can move on to the Biggest Game in the History of Gopher Football?

Come on....really....fortunate to escape Evanston with a win?

You can't take any team for granted, but this is a bad Northwestern team this year and one we should definitely beat if we play anywhere close to how we are capable of playing. Defense should be extra motivated after the way they played against Iowa and Northwestern's offense has really struggled all year.

If we a top 25 team then this is a game we win. Iowa is a really good team and Kinnick is a really hostile environment. Northwestern is having a major down year and Evanston is not a hostile environment at all (they don't draw well when they are winning) so things like noise shouldn't be a factor.

I expect the defense to come out fired up and to shut down the NU offense. Then it will just be on the offense to put some points on the board which should not be an issue. Northwestern has a solid defense but they are light years below the likes of Iowa and Penn State.

Be careful around high IQ teams.

Last edited:

It's not really in the offense's control if an opposing defense wants to stop the run badly enough.

If they line up with 9 men in the box every down, there is not a lot you can do. Statistically speaking, they're going to stop most running plays for less than a few yds per carry.

Iowa did have some frustrating knockdowns early in the game. How do you take care of that? Easy. Our OL cut them until their legs fall off. If an opposing DL jumps in the air ..... you damn well make him pay for that! Slam him into the ground.

For some reason I read this in my head as rap lyrics:

"Run some wildcat on the wildcats
Jump start 'em wit a green machine jump pass"

Be careful around high IQ teams.

You always have to be careful with Northwestern because they tend to not beat themselves which keeps them in a lot of games.

But if we don't play sloppy we win this game. Similar to Iowa in that respect actually. If we had played well against Iowa, we would have won. Missed tackles, turnovers, dropped passes, we had to play about as bad as we could play in the first half in order to lose that one. The difference of course is that Iowa is a really good team, whereas this Northwestern offense has been historically bad this season and the defense while solid is not on the level of the likes of Iowa and Penn State.

We will have to play our worst game of the year to lose on Saturday. Could certainly happen but if we play up to our capabilities we win.

This game is the gateway to the most important Gopher football game in 50 years.

Top Bottom