Run Plugger ?????

MNSpaniel

Reaction score
Did we sign anyone who could be viewed as a run plugger? The massive holes that open up sometimes are hard to believe. I know we have some other needs but I think a big body up the middle had to be one of our biggest needs.

Isn't the JC linebacker Wilson? Supposed to fill that role.

Santoso ... He might do ... he could really Kick butt in there. Seriously, better linebackers will definitely help but you have to have big bodies to keep the linemen off the linebackers so they can do their job.

The Jerry Kill defense is based more on speed and quickness than it is on gap pluggers. Whether that works in the B1G is a question that still needs to be answered. That being said, they have been playing a lot of young guys, those guys have gained a lot of experience, those guys are going to get bigger and stronger as they develop, I'm fairly confident that some of the problems they've had against the run will dissipate as time moves on.

TCU showed in the Rose Bowl that it can work. Let's see if we can get it one. It comes down to the linebackers.

I heard Kill say that Santoso was down to 245lbs. last week.

Hinojosa would probably be the closest thing to that, but it's not really in our scheme.

TCU showed in the Rose Bowl that it can work. Let's see if we can get it one. It comes down to the linebackers.

I heard Kill say that Santoso was down to 245lbs. last week.

TCU did win the game but I wouldn't say giving up 226 yards at 4.9 per carry is stopping the run. If the run defense is giving up 5 yards per carry in the B1G conference I doubt any team wins a majority of those conference games.

TCU did win the game but I wouldn't say giving up 226 yards at 4.9 per carry is stopping the run. If the run defense is giving up 5 yards per carry in the B1G conference I doubt any team wins a majority of those conference games.

For some reason Wisconsin decided to go away from the run much of that game, didn't work out so well...

I think this is a fair point when everyone points to TCU.

However, the fact is that particular WI team was fantastic and holding them to under 5 yards a run, was actually an accomplishment (as odd as that sounds).

Look at their video game-esque numbers.

That said, it's really a system question, do you need a big DT to be a run plugger in the Big 10? I think the answer is no, there have been plenty of good defenses that didn't employ one.

I think this is a fair point when everyone points to TCU.

However, the fact is that particular WI team was fantastic and holding them to under 5 yards a run, was actually an accomplishment (as odd as that sounds).

Look at their video game-esque numbers.

That said, it's really a system question, do you need a big DT to be a run plugger in the Big 10? I think the answer is no, there have been plenty of good defenses that didn't employ one.

Must not be talking about the SEC then.

Top Bottom