Royce White "earns" the right to practice: One of top GPA's on the team this fall

ShowinGoldyLove

Reaction score
Royce White "earns" the right to practice: One of top GPA's on the team this fall

According to Myron, looks like although Royce White is still suspended indefinitely, he's been invited back to practice by the coaching staff. The source notes that he "earned" it.

I know there has been a lot of passion on both sides of the White situation, but you have to give it to the kid that he kept up such strong grades in his first semester at college, despite all the distractions.

Keep up the hard work in the classroom Royce :clap:

Never thought I would say this; Maybe Royce can do some mentoring with Al.

Nice work Royce. However close it may have been, congratulations to Rodney for taking care of his business and remaining eligible as well.

Even though Royce has done some fairly stupid things the kid comes off as pretty smart in his youtube things. If he thought those up and had a major role in the way they were put together I think he's got something on the ball. ( pun intended )

Otherwise, I'm pretty sure I read that he wanted to major in music. What kind of music I'm not sure what the U offers.

http://www.twincities.com/sports/ci_14175041?nclick_check=1

From Marcus story-
A marketing major at the U, White said he is doing well in school and wants a degree. Besides being a student-athlete, he sees himself as a music producer, a songwriter and an entrepreneur

"There's plenty of basketball players that do other things," said White. "I'm just starting a little earlier."

Thanks guys. I guess I should've just read the article :)

Lol .. well either Marcus or Royce should make up their minds. Here's what he wrote on Dec 27 after one of the videos-

Another YouTube video from suspended Gophers freshman forward Royce White aired early Monday morning with him speaking about coach Tubby Smith.

At the end of the video called "Truth about Tubby Smith," White said that Smith was "one of the best coaches of all time," and that "he's been a great teacher to me; I can't wait to get back to the Barn and play for him."

White pleaded guilty Dec. 2 to misdemeanor charges of shoplifting and fifth-degree assault stemming from an Oct. 13 incident at Macy's at the Mall of America.

He is also a possible suspect in a campus theft case but hasn't been arrested or charged. White has been taking time away from the team until a decision is made on his future with the Gophers after the off-court situation is resolved.

The former Hopkins High School star also said on the video that he wants to major in music. White was shown in a recording studio with a couple of his partners working on songs.

That is some good news. Good for him.

If only we found out tomorrow he was reinstated, it would almost make up for the loss of Nolen.

Even though Royce has done some fairly stupid things the kid comes off as pretty smart in his youtube things. If he thought those up and had a major role in the way they were put together I think he's got something on the ball. ( pun intended )

Otherwise, I'm pretty sure I read that he wanted to major in music. What kind of music I'm not sure what the U offers.

I agree - he's made bad choices, but Royce is not dumb. He's a very bright, articulate kid, and I don't think he's every been borderline academically. If Royce gives a minimal effort, grades will never be a problem for him.

I agree - he's made bad choices, but Royce is not dumb. He's a very bright, articulate kid, and I don't think he's every been borderline academically. If Royce gives a minimal effort, grades will never be a problem for him.

Ummm, didn't he get expelled from De La Salle for cheating?

Ummm, didn't he get expelled from De La Salle for cheating?

There were a few reasons he was expelled. And FYI - if you cheat, it doesn't mean you're stupid, it just means you made a bad choice. I cheated in Spanish in high school and got caught and my teacher called my Mom. I don't consider myself a stupid person, just one that made a bad decision. See the difference?

Well, I cheated all of the time...but that's because I really am stupid. I'll admit it!

Royce made a commitment to the U and school. Could have very easily blown school off, interesting. Whether he plays this year or not it leads one to believe there is a future ahead for him and the U.

Finally something positive with the Royce saga. At least Tubby should not have to worry about eligibility if he plays hoops for the UM.

Finally something positive with the Royce saga. At least Tubby should not have to worry about eligibility if he plays hoops for the UM.

Yep - I mean really, for someone with half a brain, how hard is it to be academically eligible with freshman classes? Royce is not from the 'hood. He's got a brain and other advantages.

My advice to Royce, as always, keep your nose clean and someday you'll see the court - I hope that is very soon and in a Gopher uniform. Above all, keep your mouth - and the mouths of the posse - shut.

If he did well acedemcially I have to give the kid credit - couldn't have been easy. I'm all for a second, mmm third chance. Time to let the kid play - NOW! would be a great time A.D.

According to Myron, looks like although Royce White is still suspended indefinitely, he's been invited back to practice by the coaching staff. The source notes that he "earned" it.

I know there has been a lot of passion on both sides of the White situation, but you have to give it to the kid that he kept up such strong grades in his first semester at college, despite all the distractions.

Keep up the hard work in the classroom Royce :clap:

Highest GPA on the team? Such a high bar to hurdle. Almost half team had grade issues.

Highest GPA on the team? Such a high bar to hurdle. Almost half team had grade issues.
Regardless, I still think it's a good feat, especially for a guy going through the distractions he did in his first semester in college.

Pretty sure (not verified) that Nolen had a 3.2 GPA after his first semester freshman year AND he was actually practicing/playing/traveling with the team.

Not trying to forecast, but let's not forget that the Nolen issue is completely different than what's going on with Royce. Glad he is back at practice but that's a baby step at best. Mbakwe has been practicing all along.

Pretty sure (not verified) that Nolen had a 3.2 GPA after his first semester freshman year
Where can you get this info? I have never seen any of Nolen's stats, nor any other player's GPA's made public. Come to think of it, I've never seen a player's GPA posted unless it's on the Big 10 Network for Academic whatever?

It'd be interesting to see how the guys are doing individually. If Nolen had a 3.2, kudos to him, honestly. How did it fall below a 2.0? Do you have to maintain it cumulatively or per semester? You seem to know quite a bit more about the details around here than most...so I'm just curious how it works?

Where can you get this info? I have never seen any of Nolen's stats, nor any other player's GPA's made public. Come to think of it, I've never seen a player's GPA posted unless it's on the Big 10 Network for Academic whatever?

It'd be interesting to see how the guys are doing individually. If Nolen had a 3.2, kudos to him, honestly. How did it fall below a 2.0? Do you have to maintain it cumulatively or per semester? You seem to know quite a bit more about the details around here than most...so I'm just curious how it works?

Remember seeing this in article about Nolen's freshman year and it caught my eye because of his qualifying issues coming out of high school. Will have to see if I can track that source from the web (won't happen tonight).

BTW As I mentioned earlier, I don't know Nolen's current situation but do remember that Payton's eligibility issue was about an "incomplete."
GPAs require at least a semester to recover (esp for a Jr), not a holiday weekend, so completing work to remove an "I" (credit deficiency) would be my guess...

Don't know any current GPA info but did see that one in print.

Regardless, I still think it's a good feat, especially for a guy going through the distractions he did in his first semester in college.

It can be distracting fighting off security guards trying to interupt the crime you are commiting. Kudos to Royce for making us all so proud.

Top Bottom