Royce to UCLA?

Not so sure about UCLA though, I think Arizona would be a better choice, high profile, but less in the spotlight than LA.
Tucson is a pit, he'd hate it there.

Considering this, getting out of the area could be a good thing for him. Not because he's a target, but because he's got a life here that is holding him back
I think that this is a good point, a clean break would probably do him some good.

My understanding is that Royce did not have the best grades in h.s. That could pose a problem in getting accepted into UCLA.

So how come Trevor hasn't left the program? While I know his case is more serious he has had a longer delay for what everybody feels is a bogus charge. Trevor has pretty much been a model student, a model teammate, a model member of the U community.

Sorry I am not giving Royce any leeway on this. After the shoplifting charge he should have worked overtime to keep his nose clean. He thought he was above punishment and when he found out he wasn't - he couldn't handle it.

Trevor hasnt left the program because its not the program holding his case up, its the other witnesses they cant get to testify for him during the basketball season, notably memphis's coach and dodson from kentucky.

trevor and royce are completely different personalities as well.

Not exactly the best idea for Royce to go to LA where he has even a better chance of getting in trouble

Right, Figi.
There is a common concern about the influence of White's friends. We've heard the conjecture that one of White's friends stole the laptop and this could have been resolved quickly in that case. But White stuck by his friend and his friend left White's BB career out to dry.
I know Tubby talked with him concerning the choices he was making regarding his friends (via a close friend who attended a dinner with Tubby).

Considering this, getting out of the area could be a good thing for him. Not because he's a target, but because he's got a life here that is holding him back - but will he just create the same problems elsewhere? Its pretty likely.

Being investigated for the theft of a lap top because you were in the building when it happened is being targeted. That is all there is to it.

Being investigated for the theft of a lap top because you were in the building when it happened is being targeted. That is all there is to it.

I think you meant to say that he was being "Criminally Profiled". The police had video evidence placing a well known high school cheat and mall thief at the scene of the crime. It would have been gross incompetence for the police NOT to target Royce and his gang.

I think you meant to say that he was being "Criminally Profiled". The police had video evidence placing a well known high school cheat and mall thief at the scene of the crime. It would have been gross incompetence for the police NOT to target Royce and his gang.

Absolutely right Upnorth. The point is the police had good reason to suspect White. They acted on that suspicion. Whether they could prove Royce guilty of anything but trespassing is not the point. They believed he knew more than he would tell. They did their job. What possible other benifit could they get from "targeting" White. Making up these various conspiracys or blaming The AD or Tubby is silly nonsense.

I get they had the need to target him, and suspect his friends, etc. but FOUR MONTHS that stretches it into ineptitude on the departments half or just malicious intent.

I think Royce was treated differently. Perhaps, because of the media and public scrutiny the UMPD chose not to drop the case as I assume they would do for similar minor offenses.

However, as my Mom would frequently tell me "Life is Not Fair" this was usually followed with "Be quiet and eat your vegetables".

I wish him the best and hope this works out for him. If he plays for UCLA, I hope he makes All American.

So everybody piles on because Sid heard some of his friends say he called and is considering UCLA. Whenever there is an anti-gopher story in the Strib everybody assumes it isn't true and bashes the reporting because most people here hate the Strib. Why believe this story? Will most of you take back what you said if it proves not to be true? If it is true, I can't understand why somebody would be mad that he wants to move on with his life.

A lot of people make a lot of assumptions about this kid but at the end of the day, none of you know what happened with the laptop, and why the investigation was held up. He stole something from Macy's and he might be friends with somebody that stole a laptop. Now he is Walker Lee Ashley? He loves attention and is going to be a rapper? He can't hack it at UCLA? Many of you think he is a troubled kid, so why take shots at him? Others think he is a bad person but why waste your energy, is it too hard to remain indifferent?

I hope the UCLA story is true and he is trying to move on. Gopher fans need to do the same thing because he left the program and isn't going to play here.

So everybody piles on because Sid heard some of his friends say he called and is considering UCLA. Whenever there is an anti-gopher story in the Strib everybody assumes it isn't true and bashes the reporting because most people here hate the Strib. Why believe this story? Will most of you take back what you said if it proves not to be true? If it is true, I can't understand why somebody would be mad that he wants to move on with his life.

A lot of people make a lot of assumptions about this kid but at the end of the day, none of you know what happened with the laptop, and why the investigation was held up. He stole something from Macy's and he might be friends with somebody that stole a laptop. Now he is Walker Lee Ashley? He loves attention and is going to be a rapper? He can't hack it at UCLA? Many of you think he is a troubled kid, so why take shots at him? Others think he is a bad person but why waste your energy, is it too hard to remain indifferent?

I hope the UCLA story is true and he is trying to move on. Gopher fans need to do the same thing because he left the program and isn't going to play here.

I don't see a lot of people ripping the Strib, but nobody should have to GUESS whether something printed in the paper is true or not. The standards for journalism have slipped dramatically (largely due to the desire to be first with the story), but you lose all credibility when you are wrong on something.

As someone who has wanted Royce White back on the team, and who believes the UMPD treated him unfairly, I still compared him to Walker Lee Ashley. Royce does not seemed focused on his sport and seems to be very close to letting his talent simply go to waste. Does Los Angeles really seem to be where Royce White is going to focus on basketball? How far away is he in LA from the people (including his grandfather) that seem to have his best interests at heart?

I'd love nothing more than a focused, dedicated Royce White to gain Tubby's approval and return to the team next season. If that can't happen, I hope a focused, dedicated Royce White shows up somewhere next season. I really doubt a focused, dedicated Royce White is going to emerge in LA.

I don't see a lot of people ripping the Strib, but nobody should have to GUESS whether something printed in the paper is true or not. The standards for journalism have slipped dramatically (largely due to the desire to be first with the story), but you lose all credibility when you are wrong on something.

As someone who has wanted Royce White back on the team, and who believes the UMPD treated him unfairly, I still compared him to Walker Lee Ashley. Royce does not seemed focused on his sport and seems to be very close to letting his talent simply go to waste. Does Los Angeles really seem to be where Royce White is going to focus on basketball? How far away is he in LA from the people (including his grandfather) that seem to have his best interests at heart?

I'd love nothing more than a focused, dedicated Royce White to gain Tubby's approval and return to the team next season. If that can't happen, I hope a focused, dedicated Royce White shows up somewhere next season. I really doubt a focused, dedicated Royce White is going to emerge in LA.

Totally agree. I think the UMPD did not give Royce a fair shake. That being said, he brought everything that has happened this season upon himself, from stealing clothes to going somewhere he was repeatedly told not to be. I would absolutely love for him to be a Gopher, still. One of the big reasons is I think it would help him to turn around his life. Tubby is a great mentor and a no nonsense coach. Royce has a lot of nonsense going on right now and he is not headed down a pretty path. However, he seems to surround himself (and attract) enabling personalities that help him down the wrong path and affirm his egotistical self proclaimed pariah status. I don't think LA is going to be any better...other than it will get rid of some of the bad influences. That being said, there are plenty more bad influences out here (I'm in LA) he could easily pick up if he doesn't change his ways.

I don't see a lot of people ripping the Strib

The Strib gets ripped more than the University of Wisconsin on this board.

As far as whether or not Royce is focused on basketball and what is best for him, I'm guessing you don't know him and have no idea what he is focused on. From your post it didn't seem like you have anything against Royce, but so many of your assumptions are based on what you've read here, and the majority of people on this board have no idea what they are talking about.

When it comes to breaking down strategy, opinions on players, and other issues related to the basketball I like to see what everybody on this board thinks. In this case nobody knows the whole story as to what happened with the investigation, who decided Royce would be suspended for as long as he was, who was at fault in the actual laptop theft, what Royce is focused on in his day to day life, what his relationship with his family is like, who his friends are, or really anything about the kid. I get annoyed when I read opinions from people that are basing what they are saying on what somebody on this forum said when the majority of people here don't actually know anything.

In a perfect world I'd love to see Royce suit up for the Gophers next year. Unfortunately, the world isn't perfect. Regardless of where he ends up I hope he's successful.

LA would be a perfect fit. They're all pretty much in LA-LA land out there. Do whatever you want to do, if it feels good, do it. Sounds like a good place for Royce.

Appeal on what grounds? That he had multiple run-ins with the law and quit school?

multiple run-ins with the law and quit school?

Shoplifting and trespassing have little to do with it.

Considering he had such limited participation in practice and never dressed for a game, it's not out of the question that he could be given an acceptation.

There are cases where the NCAA will grant "acceptations" for transfers. I highly doubt a waiver would be granted for a proven thief/security cop beater who then proceded to quit school.

I would guess shoplifting and trespassing (not to mention cop beating) would have a lot to do with the NCAA's decision.

Oh, you're right, then it's no big deal. He was just defending himself. Let's let him transfer & play right away.

Has there ever been a situation like Royce's before? I don't think I've heard of a 5* recruit who shoplifted, pushed over a security guard, quit school and transfered? Maybe someone else has though?

Has there ever been a situation like Royce's before? I don't think I've heard of a 5* recruit who shoplifted, pushed over a security guard, quit school and transfered? Maybe someone else has though?

Aside from shoplifting skinny jeans, bitch slapping a rent-a-cop and cruising the dorms for women- Would it be out of question for a player would get granted a transfer acceptation after having extremity limited participation at his prior school?

Bitch-slapping? Body-slamming?

Aside from shoplifting skinny jeans, bitch slapping a rent-a-cop and cruising the dorms for women- Would it be out of question for a player would get granted a transfer acceptation after having extremity limited participation at his prior school?
I suggest you search youtube for the event you are describing. I'd call it body slamming.
I would go to the wire objecting to the idea that what RW did was minor. And it was repeated.

I think for Royce, anywhere away from his friends would probably be a better than Minnesota. I know that the thought of Royce doing well in LA seems unlikely, but i'd imagine he'd be better off playing in Sodom or Gomorrah (away from his "friends") than he would here.

I will keep holding out hope that he has a major awakening, begs Tubby to come back on the team and works his tail off (hey, we all have dreams), but I just don't think it's likely, so I hope him nothing but success.

Top Bottom