Royce and Nba

Roy Christensen

Trying to do it all!
Reaction score
Consider this scenario. Tubby allows Royce to play and in the remaining games Royce shows enough on the court to convince some NBA team that he is worth their #1 draft choice. In this event Royce signs with an agent and goes pro after playing less than half a season with the Gophers. On the other hand if he does not play there would not be enough reason for any NBA team to use their #1 to draft him and he spends next year with the Gophers.

Consider this scenario. Tubby allows Royce to play and in the remaining games Royce shows enough on the court to convince some NBA team that he is worth their #1 draft choice. In this event Royce signs with an agent and goes pro after playing less than half a season with the Gophers. On the other hand if he does not play there would not be enough reason for any NBA team to use their #1 to draft him and he spends next year with the Gophers.

Roy you're cheating. Cocktail hour doesn't start for a half an hour.

If he were a 6-10 power forward then maybe your scenario works. He's 6-7. Unless he shows the ability to score from all over the floor including from 20 feet, and unless he shows the ability to blow past people on the dribble, he'll need to be in school a few years.

Royce needs at least 2 solid seasons to prove he can play in the NBA. I think his playing abilities have been touted too much in his absence; there is no way he can convince anyone that he is NBA ready in what will amount to a few games.

If he were a 6-10 power forward then maybe your scenario works. He's 6-7. Unless he shows the ability to score from all over the floor including from 20 feet, and unless he shows the ability to blow past people on the dribble, he'll need to be in school a few years.

This.

I wish people would stop talking about Royce like he's a 1 and done candidate.. he certainly has the potential to get to the NBA, but people seem to think he could go pro right now, which is just ridiculous.

Good lord this is getting ridiculous. First it's Rodney Williams as a lottery pick even though he doesn't get more than a handful of minutes per game, and now Royce White. I have never seen a more delusional homer fan base when it comes to the perceived talent on this team and the actual talent on this team.

Good lord this is getting ridiculous. First it's Rodney Williams as a lottery pick even though he doesn't get more than a handful of minutes per game, and now Royce White. I have never seen a more delusional homer fan base when it comes to the perceived talent on this team and the actual talent on this team.

Let's make sure we keep this thread so that Art doesn't attempt to do again what he's doing now and what he's done in the past. At some point Royce may play for us, and if he does, he's destined to have some bad games like all players do. At that point Art will run back here and say "I can't believe you all said that Royce was going to play in the NBA one day" - just like he did with Rodney, even though it was NBADraft.net that prematurely touted Rodney, all the while 80% of fans on this board laughed at that mock draft. Now, Art says "I have never seen a more delusional homer fan base when it comes to perceived talent..." all the while if you look at the thread Art is basing his opinion on its actually just one person who thinks Royce has a shot at the NBA next year and everyone else disagreeing with him. But that surely won't stop Art in a few weeks/months/years telling us how delusional we all were for guaranteeing Royce was a top 5 pick in 2010.

Go Gophers!!

Royce wasn't even a major major recruit... He would have to prove a lot in order to even get drafted by anyone in the NBA next season first or second round.

Well not big enough to be picked in the first round by an NBA team.. when the guy hasn't even seen any time on the floor... Wall, Cousins, Bradley, Favors, and Henry are the guys I consider major major recruits. All of these guys are potential top 1-15 picks... White hasn't shown anything yet..and he's only 6'7 like someone else had said.

Let's make sure we keep this thread so that Art doesn't attempt to do again what he's doing now and what he's done in the past. At some point Royce may play for us, and if he does, he's destined to have some bad games like all players do. At that point Art will run back here and say "I can't believe you all said that Royce was going to play in the NBA one day" - just like he did with Rodney, even though it was NBADraft.net that prematurely touted Rodney, all the while 80% of fans on this board laughed at that mock draft. Now, Art says "I have never seen a more delusional homer fan base when it comes to perceived talent..." all the while if you look at the thread Art is basing his opinion on its actually just one person who thinks Royce has a shot at the NBA next year and everyone else disagreeing with him. But that surely won't stop Art in a few weeks/months/years telling us how delusional we all were for guaranteeing Royce was a top 5 pick in 2010.

Go Gophers!!

Thank you. Thank you very much.

Top 5 pick in 2012... He really needs to see floor time before we can determine if he's a lottery pick... and yes I'd love to have him here for 4 years...I think it would be better if he stayed for that amount of time so that he can get back on his feet, and learn how to handle adversity before going up against the big boys.

1. IIRC it was once posted here that 80% of the top ten recruits end making it to the NBA. Top 25 recruits were about 30%. Royce was rated #19 by one service. If and when he plays it is certain that NBA scouts will be watching closely.
2. Royce does not need to prove he is ready to play in the league in order to get drafted. He only needs to show potential. Joel P and Kris Humphries were drafted with lottery picks and then sat on the end of the bench because they lacked NBA level skills. THe Wolves used a #1 to draft Ndudi Ebi. A handful of college games may be enough to convince some team he has potential.
3. None of us know whether Royce has NBA potential or if he can even be a good college player. He has yet to play a game. If and when he plays he might flop or he might wow.

Agree with number 3... Number 2... none of those guys have really panned out and could have furthered their careers by playing it smart and staying an extra year or two in college...Ebi was a great example of a player picked number 1 playing off potential... god only knows where he ended up.

3. None of us know whether Royce has NBA potential or if he can even be a good college player. He has yet to play a game. If and when he plays he might flop or he might wow.

I do. Royce does have NBA potential and he can be a very good college player. I have zero doubt on either of those two claims. However, he can be a knucklehead and may not find himself realizing his potential at either level.

I hope that, in their weirdo minds, the U's administration wants the current case to be adjudicated before letting him play, which could happen next week... and he gets on the floor this year... then comes back next year for a full season.

I do. Royce does have NBA potential and he can be a very good college player. I have zero doubt on either of those two claims.

And you're related to Red Auerbach how? Can't believe I'm saying this, but Art's comment makes way more sense.

THANK YOU. NBADraft.net put Rodney as a lottery pick in a few years based on POTENTIAL and because it was so early in the season, so they didn't know that much about a lot of players. Most of the people on the board thought that was a little ridiculous, but somehow Art seems to think because NBADraft wrote that, he was obligated to continually talk trash about Rodney and tell us how ridiculous we are even though we weren't the ones predicting that Rodney would be a lottery pick.

Go Gophers!!

Go Gophers!!
I love it when you get tough, Bleed!
Go Gophers!

And you're related to Red Auerbach how? Can't believe I'm saying this, but Art's comment makes way more sense.

Seriously? I said Royce White has NBA potential and can be a very good college player. What doesn't make sense? Ignorance doesn't cancel out the knowledge of others. Good luck, bud.

Great website

Only Rivals had Royce ranked in their top 25. Every other recruiting guru/service had him ranked outside the top 30.

Maybe everyone else knew about that website, but I didn't and that is an awesome source of information. It is fun to go back and look where guys ranked in previous years. I forgot how highly regarded some of the Minnesota athletes were coming out of high school. Isaiah Dahlman,#67 in the nation. Joel Pryzbilla, #8. Adam Boone, #33. Alan Anderson, #30. Kris Humphries, #10.

I also observed how many top players Michigan State gets. They turn this talent into great teams, but often times, the players do not end up standing out or go on to greatness in the NBA.

Top Bottom