Rough day for Michigan hoops

UpAndUnder43

Reaction score
Five-star Josh Christopher was 91% crystal ball to Michigan. Chose ASU

Five-star Isaiah Todd decommitted, chose to go pro overseas.

Add in DeJulius and Castleton both left. Livers pending.

Imagine the meltdown on here if this was the gophers.

Haha yeah. Especially if Christopher and todd were in state kids.

Haha yeah. Especially if Christopher and todd were in state kids.

No doubt, Michigan doesn't let anyone out of their state and that's why they are elite...

That's a brutal turn of events. I don't think the Todd news is really news as that rumor has been out there for a while. Still sucks - and makes it very hard for a coach to recruit replacements this late in the game.

Michigan was one of the surprise teams in the country last year and had a ton of positive momentum on the idea that 4 of their top 6 guys would be back plus a monster recruitng class was coming in.

That is now diminished with Dejulius leaving (hard to understand why from a basketball perspective) and two 5-star guys who were seemingly in the bag now out.

If Livers comes back, it's still a team that can win a ton. They just added one of the top grad transfers on the market plus return double-figure scoring starters in Wagner, Brooks and Livers. Plus they had some promising young pieces that can take on more responsibility.

Good. Not top-10 nationally good like their fans probably were thinking a few weeks (or days) ago.

Looks like Christopher was from CA. Huge pickup for the Sun Devils. I live close to the campus and watch some of their games. Fun to watch last season. Would be cool for them and MN to play.

Players CAN'T WAIT to get out of that program.

Seriously, I think we'll see this more often as the high end players take the money to play overseas for a year down under. Always a risk when recruiting that kind of player.

No doubt, Michigan doesn't let anyone out of their state and that's why they are elite...

Well at least Michigan doesn't lose players to schools like Marquette and Wisconsin. I'm sure most of them end up at Kentucky/Duke/North Carolina. Otherwise they go to Michigan State or Michigan, right?

Players CAN'T WAIT to get out of that program.

Seriously, I think we'll see this more often as the high end players take the money to play overseas for a year down under. Always a risk when recruiting that kind of player.

I wonder why. Juwan Howard? Or is something else happening?

Well at least Michigan doesn't lose players to schools like Marquette and Wisconsin. I'm sure most of them end up at Kentucky/Duke/North Carolina. Otherwise they go to Michigan State or Michigan, right?

Wrong. Lorne Bowmann didn't choose to wait for an offer. Otherwise here are a couple other quick examples of them not choosing in state. My point is it happens and they don't just lose them to blue bloods. In state recruiting is overrated. Go get guys who want to be here, identify them early and stay on them. Pitino is doing better, but for him it may be too late. It will be interesting to see what Howard does.

Wrong. Lorne Bowmann didn't choose to wait for an offer. Otherwise here are a couple other quick examples of them not choosing in state. My point is it happens and they don't just lose them to blue bloods. In state recruiting is overrated. Go get guys who want to be here, identify them early and stay on them. Pitino is doing better, but for him it may be too late. It will be interesting to see what Howard does.

I think he was being sarcastic. The links provided to 247 show them losing a lot of in-state kids to non-blue blood programs

"This was a no-brainer for me." - quote from Todd today. If some kids want to go the professional route after high school, have at it. No complaints from me. Go get the money and develop overseas if that's what you want. That said, if this was a "no-brainer" for him, why wouldn't you tell Michigan earlier (he committed in October)? Why would you wait until this late in the recruiting season to officially leave, almost assuredly hurting next year's team? I think it's pretty clear he wasn't wavering about this decision. By that statement, he knew he was going overseas for quite some time now.

"This was a no-brainer for me." - quote from Todd today. If some kids want to go the professional route after high school, have at it. No complaints from me. Go get the money and develop overseas if that's what you want. That said, if this was a "no-brainer" for him, why wouldn't you tell Michigan earlier (he committed in October)? Why would you wait until this late in the recruiting season to officially leave, almost assuredly hurting next year's team? I think it's pretty clear he wasn't wavering about this decision. By that statement, he knew he was going overseas for quite some time now.

He may have wanted to, but needed a place to sign or go first. He may not have had that.

I think he was being sarcastic. The links provided to 247 show them losing a lot of in-state kids to non-blue blood programs

Correct. I was being sarcastic. I've never understood the obsession with many on here regarding in-state players. It has been proven over and over that other programs aren't winning exclusively by "shutting down the borders."

Correct. I was being sarcastic. I've never understood the obsession with many on here regarding in-state players. It has been proven over and over that other programs aren't winning exclusively by "shutting down the borders."
Well said!

My bad. Should’ve caught it

Top Bottom