Rose Bowl given an ultimatum.

Does this mean the Gophers only hope of playing in the Rose Bowl is during a regular season game?
Well ... the question is: is the Rose Bowl (Game) still the Rose Bowl, anymore?

When it was in the BCS, over the 1998-2013 seasons, for the most part it still hosted a game that matched the Big Ten's champion vs the PAC's champion. That is the historical, meaningful Rose Bowl to most people.

But since the CFP, it has been almost impossible that the Big Ten champion isn't in the playoff or that both the Big Ten and PAC champions are in and Rose is hosting a semi that year.

So it has a different meaning now.

Like this year, Penn St is the clear #3 in the Big Ten. But there is a good chance the Rose Bowl selects them.

Would that be "good enough" for you? For the Gophers to get selected to go to the Rose Bowl as the #3 or even #4 team in the conference, not even making the conference championship game, but picked to go simply because the Rose thought we would travel well there?

Well ... the question is: is the Rose Bowl (Game) still the Rose Bowl, anymore?

When it was in the BCS, over the 1998-2013 seasons, for the most part it still hosted a game that matched the Big Ten's champion vs the PAC's champion. That is the historical, meaningful Rose Bowl to most people.

But since the CFP, it has been almost impossible that the Big Ten champion isn't in the playoff or that both the Big Ten and PAC champions are in and Rose is hosting a semi that year.

So it has a different meaning now.

Like this year, Penn St is the clear #3 in the Big Ten. But there is a good chance the Rose Bowl selects them.

Would that be "good enough" for you? For the Gophers to get selected to go to the Rose Bowl as the #3 or even #4 team in the conference, not even making the conference championship game, but picked to go simply because the Rose thought we would travel well there?
Can you imagine the Sunday paper being taken over by the obituaries of Gopher fans if the Gophers played in The Rose Bowl Game! I know mine would be there because, like so many others, I want to see the Gophers play in The Rose Bowl Game before I die. So the closer I get to dying the less I care how the Gophers get there as long as they are there.

P.S. Given that UCLA & USC are coming into the B1G my chances of dying without seeing the Gophers in The Rose Bowl are ever increasing
or I'm going to live a hell of a long life.

Is anyone truly excited about these potential matchups?

I'd be slightly more excited about them as any bowl game between Clemson and PSU. The playoff aspect might make me pay a little closer attention. Being a playoff certainly wouldn't hurt excitement level.

So it's exactly like what I was thinking.

Rose is contractually guaranteed to get their NYD 5pm EST exclusive slot for the 2023, 2024, and 2025 seasons. That was already true per the current contract and is still happening no matter what.

For the 2023 season, it will still be a 4 team playoff and the Rose will host one of the semi-final games.

For the 2024 and 2025, the Rose will be a quarter-final game, with the new 12 team format having the QF round on NYD weekend.

There are no guarantees for the next contract, for 2026 seasons and beyond, as far as how and if the Rose participates in the new CFP. That will be the next fight.
So I'm hearing that we'll most likely never see the gophers at the rose bowl

Is anyone truly excited about these potential matchups?

Yup, every one of them. I'm also the guy often found watching MAC football on Tuesdays and pretty much every bowl game I can squeeze in. So maybe not the best to ask.

Reactions: pk2

again, who knows what happens with the Pac-12?

from everything I've read and heard, there is still a lot of "mutual interest" being expressed between the B1G and Oregon/Washington.

If Oregon and Washington leave the Pac-12, along with USC and UCLA, the Pac-12 falls further behind the B1G and SEC in status and importance.

at that point, does the Pac-12/B1G matchup really mean anything?

Interesting in this is the Home team picking a neutral site. I would imagine if the Gophers ever hosted a game, they would move it to USBank due to winterizing of Huntington Bank. It would allow for more home fans. Not sure I like it, but it would make sense.

Would Wisconsin move a game to Chicago if they build a new indoor stadium for the Bears?
Would Iowa State move a game to Minneapolis?

Top Bottom