Ronald Johnson: Reader's View: Rein in spending, Gophers athletics

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Johnson:

It’s no wonder the University of Minnesota in Minneapolis has a $4 million shortfall in its athletics department when it pays its football coach more than $4 million a year (“Gophers athletics department starts cost-cutting, with specific sports not off the table,” May 8). And that’s not counting the millions other coaches and staff receive.

It’s interesting that University of Minnesota Duluth coaches have been far more successful with their teams over the years, and yet their salaries are in the thousands, not the millions.

I hope the U of M doesn’t expect a bailout. Why do we taxpayers condone irresponsible spending by University of Minnesota athletics?

Ronald L. Johnson
Saginaw

Go Gophers!!

He actually compared umd to u of m completely ignoring the amount of revenue generated by each program

I cant believe what I just read. Seriously, was he just comparing a big ten school to umd and he was questioning it? That's like saying I cant believe fleck is getting paid 3 million and eden prairies coach is only making 10 thousand. Who is this clown?

Win. That will fill the place and cover way more than the 4 million.

The only two teams at the 2 schools that can be compared are mens hockey. UMD coach Scott Sandelin makes $400,000 and Gopher coach Bob Motzko makes about $550,000. Considering the cost of living in each place they make about the same.

Top Bottom