Rodrick Williams

BilldGopher

Section 211
Reaction score
I've not re-watched the game on TV yet but do not recall seeing Rodrick on the field for the game, at least in the backfield.

As the season has wore on he's gotten some time on special teams and certainly got some carries recently against Purdue.

Maybe this has been addressed in another thread but wasn't that end-game situation tailor-made for his strengths as a back? I think the biggest complaint over his career is that he's almost always good for 1-2 yards...but few and far between for longer yardage. Never really considered explosive but certainly punishing.

He's not in the doghouse (as far as I know) and has just been supplanted by the Georgia boys. Biggest risk under the circumstances is fumbling in the pile of course, especially coming in cold. That said we were willing to toss one up into the endzone and that has its fair share of risks too.

Him getting a carry and the team pulling it off would have been quite an ending.

Oh well.

He played special teams and it seems that he has remained positive despite his limited role (congratulating teammates...). I'm a fan of his bruising running style, but I think after he fumbled against TCU and struggled to gain yardage in the few carries he had since then made him the third option.

I said this after the game- it's a shame he is not seeing the field more. He stepped up in the past and I was hoping he would have a successful Senior year.

I said this after the game- it's a shame he is not seeing the field more. He stepped up in the past and I was hoping he would have a successful Senior year.

The only shame is a True Freshman and a Redshirt Freshman are better than him. I like Williams, but they other two are just better. I agree with you though I was hoping he would have been the bell cow this year.

On the FSN show formerly known as Gopher Football Weekly with Jerry Kill that aired this week, they had a segment with Rodrick where they gave him a GoPro and a selfie stick and had him cover the celebration after Purdue. Very engaged, cordial, just having fun, talking with fans after the game. Seems like a great guy, but as others have said, the freshmen are just better.

I too was hoping that he'd be the man in the backfield this year. There was also talk that Jeff Jones had been moved to WR because Williams was so good in Spring Ball. Oops.

Williams appears to be a great teammate and is still contributing heavily on special teams.

This goes to show that the staff will quickly make a change if they believe it's warranted.

I would actually trust Brooks to get a half yard instead of Roderick. Just as strong and more squirrely to fight for yardage. Roderick is done on first contact, although he does often fall forward.

Maybe the play is where it's a designed handoff where he pivots to the outside. Worked at Nebraska last year, albeit on the 25 I think...not the 1/2 yard line.

Agree on both Brooks and Smith earning their carries. Future is bright.

I don't mind that Smith and Brooks get the majority of the carries. That said I wouldn't mind if they designed a few plays to make use of Roderick Williams in short yardage situations or B Edwards either on a third down pass out of the backfield a few times a game, throw them a few bones if you will. Give the kids some incentive to keep engaged, practicing hard and feel like they are contributing to the team. It may be special teams is that avenue which it probably is, but a few touches of the football say maybe Edwards on the kick off return with Myrick, to add some more of your wheels guys back there is a thought.

I didn't think Roderick Williams played that bad against TCU beyond kind of a fluke like fumble, to completely disappear from getting a few touches. Mitch fumbled that game and he didn't get the same kind of doghouse treatment for that play. All I guess I'm trying to say is I think the coaches could try and utilize these two guys some more and mix it up just a little bit.
Not trying to take anything away from #24 Smith or #27 Brooks because both have done a great job, but to me to give even few different third down look isn't a bad thing or a couple touches to a couple other guys would not hurt the team. A few different personnel groupings with names not recognized on film never hurts your ability to disguise a few things either.

Even in the pros they use a lot of three backs and specialty roles even if the starter gets the majority of the touches.

I would actually trust Brooks to get a half yard instead of Roderick. Just as strong and more squirrely to fight for yardage. Roderick is done on first contact, although he does often fall forward.

Squirrely. Underrated RB trait.

Top Bottom