Rodney Williams

My 2 cents:
Rodney is a very good player and finisher around the basket (and I'm not just talking about dunking). This isn't really surprising because this is where he spent most of his time in high school playing on an undersized team. Clearly he needs to improve his ball handling and perimeter skill set to be effective in the big ten (this is what most said before the season too) but I don't see why this can't happen (he's been with the program less than one year). Imo he has already significantly improved his shooting mechanics from what they were in high school and I think he will make the necessary improvements to become the dynamic player that his athleticism allows for in time.

How about a redshirt next year?

I'm guesing he'd leave before that. I'd like to see Cobb redshirt next year if we get Joseph and Al returns. Although I'm pretty sure Cobb would leave as well if asked to redshirt.

You clearly don't know what you are talking about. Everyone in High school that can dunk or can get close to dunking does it ALL THE TIME, NO MATTER WHAT That is a fact and ask anyone who played with someone who could in HS and they will tell you the same.

you are absolutely right. once the coaches find out they can dunk all they run for the players are dunking drills. once a player rips his hand open on the rim after dunking for a week straight when they can finally dunk they continue to dunk over and over and make the injury worse.

ive played with players who could dunk (i never could but i could grab the rim) and they would try to dunk at the end of practices when we had 10 minutes to mess around. we would play pick up ball and have captains practices and they wouldnt consist of dunking all the time no matter what. we would work to improve our game.

i have also coached teams in which almost every player on the team can dunk and once again they will spend a couple minutes here or there to try something and have fun.

the serious players work on their game and worry less about dunking because they already know they can do that. i would consider rodney a player who takes improving his game seriously and i dont think he just sits around a gym and tries to dunk constantly. as you can see from high school to his freshman year in college his jump shot has already improved dramatically. i suppose that is just from dunking all day every day because he can because thats all players do that can dunk.

In short, Rodney can't create his own shot because he can't dribble worth a damn.

Rodney spent to much fricking time working on highlight dunk vids.
And way, way to little time working on ball handling, passing and shooting.

I guess that's today's culture ... but its not winning basketball.

Think of Hoffarber in Rodney's body.

One of the selling points in the recruiting of players is something called promises. Not saying this is def 100% the case for Rodney, or any current Gopher, but don't you think its quite possible that Tubby promises certain players in high school that if you come play at the U, we will not redshirt you. It happens at every university across the country in every sport with recruiting. Who knows which players wouldn't come here or Wisconsin, or Iowa, or wherever, if they didn't get said promises from head coaches.

Think of Hoffarber in Rodney's body.

Just think if DJ was as quick as Al Nolen, as good a shooter as Hoff, had the killed instinct of Westy, was a good teammate like Bostick, and could jump like rodney, and was a star like royce. Just think we would have lebron james. Just think....

He's certainly limited, but I have a lot of hope. Not only has Rodney shown his athleticism this year, he's also shown great shot-blocking instincts, reasonably good on-the-ball perimeter D, an above-average outside shot, and the occasional ability to make a turnaround in the lane. Unfortunately, his ball-handling is very weak, so he has some real trouble creating his own shot. Also, I think he's got some freshman nerves, and it's easier for him to stand on the perimeter and pass the ball around. If he gets an attacking mindset next year, he'll be a huge contributor. I honestly believe that he's not far from being a very good player for us. He needs to bulk up, he needs to work a ton on ball-handling, and he needs to get much more offensive and defensive awareness, but I think he's doing okay for a skinny freshman.

What is with all of the negativity in this thread? As a true freshman, you cannot expect him to come in and make a huge impact if he is not one of the top recruits in the nation. He has shown enough this year to prove that he will develop into a strong player. This post up top has it right. Not only has he shown several very good aspects of his game (freakishly athletic, shot blocker, pretty good defense, pretty good shot, limits mistakes) but he has potentially three more years at the U.

Anyone talking about how you are dissapointed with the way he has played or with the minutes he has gotten needs to think a little more. He is not going to take minutes away from our veteren players. He still needs to develop his game but he has all of the pieces to do it. Look at Ralphs progression from last year. Day and night. With DJ gone next year I fully expect Rodney to make an impact.

What is with all of the negativity in this thread? As a true freshman, you cannot expect him to come in and make a huge impact if he is not one of the top recruits in the nation. He has shown enough this year to prove that he will develop into a strong player. This post up top has it right. Not only has he shown several very good aspects of his game (freakishly athletic, shot blocker, pretty good defense, pretty good shot, limits mistakes) but he has potentially three more years at the U.

Anyone talking about how you are dissapointed with the way he has played or with the minutes he has gotten needs to think a little more. He is not going to take minutes away from our veteren players. He still needs to develop his game but he has all of the pieces to do it. Look at Ralphs progression from last year. Day and night. With DJ gone next year I fully expect Rodney to make an impact.

I remember Willie Burton coming in with all sorts of athleticism. Not quite as much of a high flyer as Rodney but with a little more meat on his bones. Burton HAD TO play as a frosh because they had nothing. He didn't really blossum big time until he was a junior. His numbers were better than Rodney but again they had to be because of the level the team was at. I think Rodney has Willie Burton type possibilities before he leaves here.

Burton averaged 8.7 pts per game and about 4 boards with 2 turnovers in 24 minutes per game

Rodney averages 5 pts per game, 1.7 boards. just .50 turnovers in 12+ minutes

Obviously Burton left here as an all time great and a 20 pt per game scorer as a senior. Maybe Rodney can do the same.

Top Bottom