Rivals 250: No MN preps

tjgopher

Reaction score
Rivals released its Rivals 250 for the football Class of 2011.

No MN high schoolers made the Top 250

There is one prep from Wis on the list:
1) #217 - RB Melvin Gordon (offers from MN, IA, Wis, Mich, many others)

There are two preps from IA on the list:
1) #84 - WR Christian French (IA, Notre Dame, Neb, Ore; no MN mention)
2) #127 - OL Austin Blythe already verbal to IA

Minnesota has offers out to a lot of kids in the Rivals 250. Hopefully we can get a few.

Tommy Olson committing early to the Gophers worked against him. He will prove that he should've been selected for the honor by the time his Gopher career is over.

There is no doubt in my mind that he is much better than Austin Blythe.

Minnesota has offers out to a lot of kids in the Rivals 250. Hopefully we can get a few.

That's sad...Tommy should have been on there though. I hope we can get a few too but the more I went down the list I proly clicked on 16 or so kids I know we offered and out of that 8-10 already have us out of the running...

Tommy Olson committing early to the Gophers worked against him. He will prove that he should've been selected for the honor by the time his Gopher career is over.

Ya and I'm sure a # of kids in 2006 were better than the Klug kid from Caledonia :rolleyes:...look this whole Rivals/Scout rankings thing is complete speculation and conjecture and to a great degree worthless...if Brewster's staff can identify future productive players regardless of star ranking is what's going to get it done

...look this whole Rivals/Scout rankings thing is complete speculation and conjecture and to a great degree worthless...if Brewster's staff can identify future productive players regardless of star ranking is what's going to get it done

B 10 Mind,

What is the difference between this approach to recruiting that you are suggesting...and the Mason approach to recruiting?

B 10 Mind,

What is the difference between this approach to recruiting that you are suggesting...and the Mason approach to recruiting?

Well so far Brew's 4 star class in 07 has done little - sure if you consistently have a Top 15 class eventually a down program can turn it around (and those hi-end programs usually have a top 10-20 class) but comparing my 3 star to your 3 star is a complete turkey shoot. I didn't like Mase but he in fact he (or his staff)identified potential and went 10-3 and 8-4

Being aggressive is great but at the end of the day your program either develops the high (or low) rated kids or it doesn't...From A & M to Miss State to TN etc etc. highly ranked classes don't alway translate but a staff who understands what they need, develops it, and puts in a consistent plan can get it done (see Alverez and Ferentz)

And you base this on ????????????????????

He may well be a good prospect, but committing to the Gophers doesn't exactly earn you a lot of cred. Meanwhile... Iowa targeted Blythe very early and Ferentz has earned his respect based on what he has accomplished on the field. Some kids end up underrated by committing this early. Should something happen to Brewster's future at Minny...and other schools enter the picture, his rating could jump simply by who offers at a later date.

Probably due to the small area being unable to accomodate doubt. No wonder people think nothing but a bunch of homer dinks post here.

The list is a joke. ESPN and Lemming both had him in the top 100.

I don't have a bone to pick with the star rating system, nor do I have a horse in this race, other than that I want the Gophers to succeed. However, each time the issue of star ratings comes up, it occurs to me that the "statistical evidence" shown to validate its worth may be little more than self-fulfilling prophecy. Assume for the sake of argument that coaches want and need their highest rated recruits to succeed for a variety of reasons. These players routinely receive second and third chances to mature and develop, the kind of extra opportunities rarely afforded to bubble players, without regard to what their potential may be. So, down the road, it's pretty tough to see how you end up with anything but a result that is heavily weighted to star-rated players. We'll never really know what the bubble players with good up-sides might have looked like as juniors and seniors. Few of them last that long. Now perhaps that's because they just can't do the job. But it some cases I'm reasonably certain that it has more to do with not maturing early enough to stay on the squad. Looks can be deceiving and I have a hard time trusting star systems that are designed to quantify player characteristics and streamline what used to be a hands-on process.

And you base this on ????????????????????

He may well be a good prospect, but committing to the Gophers doesn't exactly earn you a lot of cred. Meanwhile... Iowa targeted Blythe very early and Ferentz has earned his respect based on what he has accomplished on the field. Some kids end up underrated by committing this early. Should something happen to Brewster's future at Minny...and other schools enter the picture, his rating could jump simply by who offers at a later date.

Go back to Iowa dumb dumb. The point of his post was that committing to the gophers hurt his ranking and you reply "committing to the Gophers doesn't exactly earn you a lot of cred". Did you eat paint chips as a kid?

Go back to Iowa dumb dumb. The point of his post was that committing to the gophers hurt his ranking and you reply "committing to the Gophers doesn't exactly earn you a lot of cred". Did you eat paint chips as a kid?

Not much for reading comprehension skills are we?

Say what you want about dpodoll's personality, but he is a good, reasonable fan and is not someone I would call a homer.

Reasonable? I wonder how many times he has seen either play? Wait, that doesn't matter as they don't even play the same position--one is a G and the other a C. Such reason....

Reasonable? I wonder how many times he has seen either play? Wait, that doesn't matter as they don't even play the same position--one is a G and the other a C. Such reason....

First of all, what does it matter where they played in high school? Guys have never played a different position in college than they did in high school, have they? Boy, you sure got me there.

Secondly, and more germane to this discussion, THEY ARE BOTH LISTED AT G ON ALL THE MAJOR RECRUITING SITES, YOU F*CKING WASTE OF OXYGEN. It's not valid to compare players who are listed at the same position, is it? You're really putting me in a box.

I will repeat - when all is said and done, Olson will be a better player than Blythe. And it is guaranteed that both Rivals and Scout are downgrading him because his only offer is Minnesota (which is only so because he has 0% chance of going anywhere else).

Big Time College Football Recruiting

Probably due to the small area being unable to accomodate doubt. No wonder people think nothing but a bunch of homer dinks post here.

See how Pantherhawk gets riled up if you demean Iowa. Conference Champ = Reality Check = Pantherhawk.

First of all, what does it matter where they played in high school? Guys have never played a different position in college than they did in high school, have they? Boy, you sure got me there.

Secondly, and more germane to this discussion, THEY ARE BOTH LISTED AT G ON ALL THE MAJOR RECRUITING SITES, YOU F*CKING WASTE OF OXYGEN. It's not valid to compare players who are listed at the same position, is it? You're really putting me in a box.

I will repeat - when all is said and done, Olson will be a better player than Blythe. And it is guaranteed that both Rivals and Scout are downgrading him because his only offer is Minnesota (which is only so because he has 0% chance of going anywhere else).

Iowa/Ferentz have a sterling reputation for developing NFL-caliber linemen. Minnesota/Brewster... not so much. If I had a lot of money to bet, I'd bet that either the Olson kid OR Brewster won't be at the U by the time Olson is a 5th year senior. Many of you downgrade Glen Mason. But the fact of the matter is that during the Mason years.... you had OUTSTANDING O-linemen. I'm still trying to figure out what, exactly, Brewster is good at?

Ok, I dislike Pantherhawk as much as anyone but not every Iowa fan or Gopher hater is him.

Rivals has been proven time after time to be the best at projecting future stars. And that is a fact.

Rivals has been proven time after time to be the best at projecting future stars. And that is a fact.

Are you sure you know the definitions of proof and fact?

Please show me your proof that Rivals is the best at projecting future stars. I'm very excited to see this.

Top Bottom