Rittenberg Q and A with Brewster

AhliBobwa

Reaction score
http://espn.go.com/blog/bigten/post/_/id/11012/big-ten-qa-tim-brewster-part-i

some interesting quotes:

--'For the first time since we've been here, we've got some really good competitive situations at a lot of different spots.'

--'We're not going to go into training camp with a quarterback competition. We want to go in with a guy who is our starter'

--'we're bringing in some really talented offensive linemen in this recruiting class. I understand that it's not easy for a freshman to come in and contribute, but it's done...We're really excited about Jimmy Gjere.'

--'The system, there's nothing complicated about what we're going to try to accomplish, and it's really going to allow Adam to go out and play well. It's going to allow MarQueis a chance to compete for the quarterback position. And it'll be exciting to see Moses Alipate. But certainly Adam's experience gives him a leg up. Again, I've been really pleased with Jeff's control there at that position. Those guys are really going to benefit from Jeff's experience.'

I thought the answer about having a QB decided during spring practice and going to training camp with a starter was interesting. I was also surprised to see Brewster say that they would have live contact periods on the QB's during spring ball which should aid the decision making process, but is also a risk.

Call me a skeptic, but I don't believe the competitive situations at various positions quote. I believe Brewster used that one for 2009 as well.

Call me a skeptic, but I don't believe the competitive situations at various positions quote. I believe Brewster used that one for 2009 as well.

I'm sure it's true on defense this year with having to replace so many starters. On offense maybe not so much, but if it is supposed to make our guys better on offense I am all for it.

I thought the answer about having a QB decided during spring practice and going to training camp with a starter was interesting. I was also surprised to see Brewster say that they would have live contact periods on the QB's during spring ball which should aid the decision making process, but is also a risk.

I'm sure it's true on defense this year with having to replace so many starters. On offense maybe not so much, but if it is supposed to make our guys better on offense I am all for it.

You would be hard pressed to find a Gopher roster in recent years this deep at the following positions. Not too many slouches in this group, either. Fall roster, barring some roster drops:

19 Defensive Backs
17 Defensive Linemen (Not including Hageman)
13 Linebackers
18 Offensive Linemen
11 Wide Receivers

To see the names of players, go to the Gopher Roster and sort as you see fit--

https://www.nmnathletics.com/SportS...00&SORT_ORDER=6&Q_SEASON=2010&PRINTABLE_PAGE=

Definitely the deepest talent pool, there is no question about that. You just gotta find the right 11 guys on offense and defense who can be the most productive group as a unit. That's what spring and fall practices are for. I'm excited to see where this goes.

It would be interesting to ask some follow up questions

You mentioned live drills, will you have goal line drills 1st vs. 1st. Or will it be 1 vs 2nd?

You mentioned The QB positon being open, but is it really when you say going in Adam Weber has a leg up?

And with all the competition, no mention of the running backs?

And one final question, Coach. Can you tell us how many recruits will enroll for the summer session? Will we see Gjere and Edwards then?

Talent

I think everyone here is right, this is going to be one of the most talented bunches that we've had around here. The problem is that we don't seem capable of translating that onto the field. I thought our team last year was the most talented we've had, especially at WR, and yet, another mediocre record and sub-par bowl performance to end the year.

I agree with Brewster about competition leading to players taking that "next step" in their development, but if that's what he believes why is he hoping to have the competitions sorted out by the end of Spring practice? Wouldn't you want the competition to go on through the Summer into the Fall practices? If the system isn't going to be that extravagant, it's not like you have to worry about players getting familiar with it in the Fall. Why not get a good idea of who can do what during the Spring and keep it to yourself while the competition continues? If you tell a guy at the end of the Spring that he's won a spot, he's more likely to get complacent before the season starts.

I think this obviously means that Adam Weber will be starting at QB, barring an injury. I guess we'll wait and see what happens.

I agree with Brewster about competition leading to players taking that "next step" in their development, but if that's what he believes why is he hoping to have the competitions sorted out by the end of Spring practice? Wouldn't you want the competition to go on through the Summer into the Fall practices? If the system isn't going to be that extravagant, it's not like you have to worry about players getting familiar with it in the Fall. Why not get a good idea of who can do what during the Spring and keep it to yourself while the competition continues? If you tell a guy at the end of the Spring that he's won a spot, he's more likely to get complacent before the season starts.

I think this obviously means that Adam Weber will be starting at QB, barring an injury. I guess we'll wait and see what happens.

Keep in mind under normal conditions in the fall you have one week to look at players and then you start game prep for the 1st opponent in 3 weeks. This year we loose 3 days because we open the season on Thursday instead of Saturday, I assume he wants to have the QB position determined my then.

As to your point about not naming a starter to disrupt the other teams preparation, that's a valid point. My thinking is delaying the naming of the starter does more harm than good; the team won't have time to rally around their leader. Also the potential two starters styles differ drasticly, maybe it would be better for the team to prepare knowing who the starter is?

I think everyone here is right, this is going to be one of the most talented bunches that we've had around here. The problem is that we don't seem capable of translating that onto the field. I thought our team last year was the most talented we've had, especially at WR, and yet, another mediocre record and sub-par bowl performance to end the year.

I thought we did our job on defense. But I completely agree on Offense. I've never seen so much talent do so little. I kept waiting for Fisch to put it together, but it just got worse. I have a feeling we'll be drastically better, if only because mediocre is such a huge step up.

Also the potential two starters styles differ drasticly, maybe it would be better for the team to prepare knowing who the starter is?

Maybe so, but like I said earlier... it doesn't seem like the offensive system itself will change. Seems like Horton has a pretty good idea of what they are going to do regardless of who the QB is. Unless they already know they are going with Weber and are just saying the position is open to not discourage Gray or Alipate from making strides in an effort to take the position.

And I think there's plenty of time to rally around a guy you choose in Fall practices. And it's not like Middle Tennessee is a formidable opponent that Thursday (although that's an excellent point). I think USC looming the next week is the big deal.

The last time Texas had a QB competition it last until Fall practices and worked out pretty well. Colt McCoy was a RS freshman and had a great year.

And it's not like Middle Tennessee is a formidable opponent that Thursday

Actually, Middle Tennessee is a very formidable opponent coming off a 10 win season. They have speed at the skill positions and an incredibly athletic dual threat QB (the kind that has given the Gophers fits in the past). The Gophers will need to play much better on opening day than they did last year if they plan to win.

Actually, Middle Tennessee is a very formidable opponent coming off a 10 win season. They have speed at the skill positions and an incredibly athletic dual threat QB (the kind that has given the Gophers fits in the past). The Gophers will need to play much better on opening day than they did last year if they plan to win.

Very true. I stand corrected. I made an ass of myself by assuming that they weren't that good without much knowledge of their accomplishments last season. I saw MTSU and thought "easy win", but after looking at what they did last year and who is coming back, you are correct in stating that they should be a very formidable opponent for Minnesota.

You mentioned live drills, will you have goal line drills 1st vs. 1st. Or will it be 1 vs 2nd?

You mentioned The QB positon being open, but is it really when you say going in Adam Weber has a leg up?

And with all the competition, no mention of the running backs?

And one final question, Coach. Can you tell us how many recruits will enroll for the summer session? Will we see Gjere and Edwards then?

What the hell are you talking about? He mentions the competition between Eskridge and Bennet in the first segment. He also says Gjere is going to be in summer camp. Hopefully you have better than the reading and comprehension skills of a Bucky.

Top Bottom