RIP Sid- no message

Sid was my GopherHole pre-internet!

Same for me. I know I've shared this several times before, but I used to go the public library and read the Star Tribune. They only received the Sunday papers and we'd go maybe once a month or so and I'd read all 4 Sports sections with Sid's column being my favorite. I was doing that more than 25 years ago and Sid was in his 70's and writing my favorite column. At the time it was my only source for information on things like Gopher basketball recruiting and what free agents the Vikings might look at. I don't think we advanced past like AOL free trial internet at my house until I was off to college.

What a great life Sid led! It says so much that a sports columnist from Minnepolis got discussed for a good 2 minutes on a Sunday Night Football game featuring teams from San Francisco and Los Angeles. Sid touched so many lives and was truly one of a kind.

RIP to a great one!

Sid always had good recruiting info back when he was the only source in town (sorry, Charley Walters). Nobody will ever come close to the life he led in the sports media world.

I wonder how the strib will replace him?

He had to of had 85 years in the newspaper industry, my dad sold papers on the corner of Diamond Lake Rd and Nicollete when he was a kid, Sid was the person that delivered the papers in the morning and collected the left over papers and money in the afternoon.

My most memorable column by Sid closed with his "jottings" section. It was the year that all recruiting hoopla was about Mark Landsberger, Mark Olberding and a 7 foot center from South Dakota. It said that Coach Bill Musselman had just signed two recruits from Florida, Michael Thompson and Osborne Lockhart. Two guys nobody had heard of before.

My most memorable column by Sid closed with his "jottings" section. It was the year that all recruiting hoopla was about Mark Landsberger, Mark Olberding and a 7 foot center from South Dakota. It said that Coach Bill Musselman had just signed two recruits from Florida, Michael Thompson and Osborne Lockhart. Two guys nobody had heard of before.
Chad Nelson, who played one year at Mpls and transferred and had anice career down here at Drake University.

Top Bottom