RIP Dickey Betts

and then there was one. Jaimoe Johanson is the only living member of the original Allman Brothers lineup.

here is my request - Everybody should grab their favorite beverage, edible or herbal smoke, settle down, put "Live at Fillmore East" on the stereo - and play that M-F'er as loud as you possibly can.

it is the purest representation of what was - for one brief shining moment - one of the greatest F'ing bands that ever existed.

If there is a rock-and-roll heaven, I hope Dickey can figure out a way to settle his issues with the rest of the group, so that he and Duane can lay down some tasty licks again.

FWIW, before the news broke, I was listening to "Layla" and marveling once again at Duane and Clapton's guitar work. and I have been listening to that album since I was a Freshman in college. (I'm 68 now....)

I have to go now. somewhere Berry Oakley is playing the bass intro to "Whippin' Post"

and then there was one. Jaimoe Johanson is the only living member of the original Allman Brothers lineup.

here is my request - Everybody should grab their favorite beverage, edible or herbal smoke, settle down, put "Live at Fillmore East" on the stereo - and play that M-F'er as loud as you possibly can.

it is the purest representation of what was - for one brief shining moment - one of the greatest F'ing bands that ever existed.

If there is a rock-and-roll heaven, I hope Dickey can figure out a way to settle his issues with the rest of the group, so that he and Duane can lay down some tasty licks again.

FWIW, before the news broke, I was listening to "Layla" and marveling once again at Duane and Clapton's guitar work. and I have been listening to that album since I was a Freshman in college. (I'm 68 now....)

I have to go now. somewhere Berry Oakley is playing the bass intro to "Whippin' Post"

A Betts-Clapton duet would have been awesome.

Macon is a good place to spend a little time. A tremendous musical heritage: Little Richard, James Brown, Otis Redding, and the Allman Brothers--and more recently, Jason Aldean--all came from that one small city. Very amazing.

My wife and I spent a couple nights there on our Georgia trip last year. The highlight was definitely the Big House, where the Allman Brothers band lived together, with their families, during their most productive time. It's now a museum, with more pieces of memorabilia than you can count (and a quarter million more pieces in storage, according to the curator we talked to).

Pictured is the alcove where Dickey wrote "Blue Sky." It gave me the chills just to stand there and imagine that morning. The second pic better shows his hand-written lyrics in the foreground.

20230805_155201.jpg20230805_155210.jpg

Greatest band/guitar duo ever imo and that includes the Yardbirds. No one intertwined quitars as well as Duane and Dickey did.

Macon is a good place to spend a little time. A tremendous musical heritage: Little Richard, James Brown, Otis Redding, and the Allman Brothers--and more recently, Jason Aldean--all came from that one small city. Very amazing.

My wife and I spent a couple nights there on our Georgia trip last year. The highlight was definitely the Big House, where the Allman Brothers band lived together, with their families, during their most productive time. It's now a museum, with more pieces of memorabilia than you can count (and a quarter million more pieces in storage, according to the curator we talked to).

Pictured is the alcove where Dickey wrote "Blue Sky." It gave me the chills just to stand there and imagine that morning. The second pic better shows his hand-written lyrics in the foreground.

View attachment 31066View attachment 31067
If you go, make sure to eat at the H&H Soul Food Restaurant, where the band used to go often. It's about the same as it was then, including the great food.

20230806_115956.jpg

I don’t listen to the Allman Bros as much as I used to but when I do….my neighbors do!

Top Bottom