Rick Pitino on NCAA Enforcement

This seems like a pretty accurate summary of where things stand. . .
"It's a very difficult time in college basketball, because it's free agency," the first-year St. John'scoach said Saturday. "And now I think what's going to happen is, they're going to say everybody can transfer, and then if they don't like it, they're going to take 'em to court.

"So I think the NCAA enforcement staff just should be disbanded. It's a joke. Not because I dislike them. But they're of no value anymore. Because just, Tennessee now will take 'em to court, Virginia will take 'em to court."

"The enforcement staff needs to go away," Pitino said. "We need to stop all the hypocrisy of NIL. We need to stop it. Because they can't stop it. Whether I'm for it or against it doesn't matter.

"They are professional athletes. Get professionally paid. It's not going away. You can't try to get loopholes, because they take you to court. That's why I say -- so I'm not knocking the enforcement staff -- they're going to get taken to court every time they try to make a rule. So it's a tough time in college basketball right now. And for us, you can't really build programs and a culture because everybody leaves."

Go Gophers!!

The irony of this is the fact that almost his entire team was Free Agency

He came to SJU, literally didnt want the roster besides Soriano.

Probably shoulda told Storr to stay. Most of the guys on st johns last year are doing well elsewhere.

His overall point about the enforcement of rules is right. But him complaining about this is similar to Anthony Rendon saying the baseball season is too long.

That's why I've said we should suit up pro players on the Gophers. For basketball...suit up a team of NBA G-Leaguers for the big games and NCAA tournament. Bring back Coffey, Oturu...Nate Mason...whoever's good.

Nothing criminal about it. And the Minnesota courts won't block it.

Paying these guys is better than paying young kids.

That's why I've said we should suit up pro players on the Gophers. For basketball...suit up a team of NBA G-Leaguers for the big games and NCAA tournament. Bring back Coffey, Oturu...Nate Mason...whoever's good.

Nothing criminal about it. And the Minnesota courts won't block it.

Paying these guys is better than paying young kids.
Can Lynch play?

I know it rings hollow for some when it is people like Rick Pitino or Nick Saban making comments about the screwed up college sports landscape right now but it doesn't make what they are saying any less true.

It isn't impossible, but building and sustaining any sort of roster right now is probably as hard as it has ever been.

Posted in another thread how as a fan it is tough to get overly excited about the Gopher basketball teams prospects for the future until we know for sure that guys are planning to come back. You didn't used to have to worry about that for the majority of players but now basically anyone on the roster could leave at any point for any reason. So one day you might feel great about your team's prospects and the next that could be blown up and in limbo because some key player decided to hit the portal unexpectedly.

Top Bottom