Rick Pitino, former Louisville and Kentucky coach, says he will never work in the Big Ten

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Spenser:

Rick Pitino wants to continue coaching and is open to working in major college basketball again — but just not in the Big Ten.

Pitino, currently the head coach at Iona, told CBS Sports’ Matt Norlander that he wants to “do something special” with his remaining time in college hoops. He said he’s not planning on retiring anytime soon and would like to coach “five or six more years.”

Iona is currently expected to make the NCAA Tournament. The Gaels currently rank nearly 100 spots higher than the next closest MAAC team in KenPom’s rankings. A big showing in March Madness could clear the way for a high-major team to hire Pitino this spring.

However, he ruled out any possibility of that next job being in the Big Ten conference. His son, Richard Pitino, was fired by Big Ten-member Minnesota 2 years ago. Pitino said there are “20 or 30” states he knows he doesn’t want to live in. Here’s an excerpt from Norlander’s story:

Many of those states are covered by Big Ten country, a conference Pitino said he’d never work in after his son, Richard, was fired by one of the league’s schools (Minnesota). With no eagerness to leave New Rochelle, Pitino will be picky if schools come calling.
Pitino last worked for a high-major team back in 2017 as Louisville’s head coach. The Cardinals fired him after that season amidst an FBI investigation that involved the Cardinals and multiple other college basketball programs.

Go Gophers!!

Richard and New Mexico are decomposing this year per what we saw at MN a couple of years with him.

Glad he is no longer here, no matter how bad it is right now. At least we don't know the ceiling with Ben yet.

The chances of any BIG team hiring RickPitino as HC are the same as mine becoming Pope of Rome.
The corruption that he fostered at Louisville ranks near the top of college BB scandals and add the mess that he made of his personal life and you have all the reasons any BIG AD needs to stay very far away from him.
He was fired for cause and the AD left and so did the president.

The chances of any BIG team hiring RickPitino as HC are the same as mine becoming Pope of Rome.
The corruption that he fostered at Louisville ranks near the top of college BB scandals and add the mess that he made of his personal life and you have all the reasons any BIG AD needs to stay very far away from him.
Well, you may have just named the next Ohio St head mens basketball coach. :)
If he leaves Iona, I'd say Georgetown and St Johns look like the leaders.
Arizona State is a wildcard.
Pitino was not given any punishment or penalties after the NCAA's extensive investigation.
Shocker among a bunch of possibilities: Calipari to Texas and Pitino to Kentucky.

Geez, one school fires a guy’s kid for being a shitty coach and he craps on the entire conference. Does this mean he no longer wears his Minnesota scarf and sweatshirt?

Well, he also said that there are 20 to 30 states where he wouldn't want to live and a number of those contained Big Ten schools. You shouldn't be surprised by that. If you asked 1000 random people outside of the upper midwest to list a dozen states where they wouldn't want to live, I'd guess that Minnesota would appear on 700 of those lists anyway.

Well, he also said that there are 20 to 30 states where he wouldn't want to live and a number of those contained Big Ten schools. You shouldn't be surprised by that. If you asked 1000 random people outside of the upper midwest to list a dozen states where they wouldn't want to live, I'd guess that Minnesota would appear on 700 of those lists anyway.
Why? The weather is great and the sports teams are awesome.

Some schools/local media are better than others at keeping quiet.

Geez, one school fires a guy’s kid for being a shitty coach and he craps on the entire conference. Does this mean he no longer wears his Minnesota scarf and sweatshirt?
I think it has more to do with where he wants to live.
He basically said there are 20-30 states he wouldn’t live in.
I’m guessing he is going to be on a coast or in the south.

I don't see a public University hiring him, Georgetown, St Johns are more likely I would think

I don't see a public University hiring him, Georgetown, St Johns are more likely I would think
I think st John’s and Boston college are good landing spots. Less sure they’ll have openings.

Georgetown certainly will. And I think they’ll overlook his non basketball history to get back to their basketball history.

Rick can coach, but is in his 70’s. Really thought Iona was going to be his last stop. Certain there were conversations about this (jumping to another job) prior to his being hired there. After attaining such highs throughout his career, probably difficult to accept not being in the center of things.

Upandunder43 announces he will never be an NBA player.

Thinking about it, there are about 20-30 states I wouldn’t live in either, so I guess Rick’s not being unreasonable.

I agree with Rick. He'll never work in the B1G.

Why? The weather is great and the sports teams are awesome.
I was born and raised in Minnesota. Nice place, nice people, but I never plan to live in Minnesota. Cold Weather! Anything under 50 is too cold for me to have to deal with. Told my family long ago that, with the exception of a death in the family, Don't expect to see me in Minnesota at any point between late Sept. and June. Even then, after living most of my adult life in drier climates, the humidity in the summer is a little much for me. I love a 95 degree day with 10% humidity. 81 and 50%, not so much.

Top Bottom