Richey | Can Big Ten dominance continue?

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Richey:

Picture me in a single chair sitting behind a small card table in a tree-shaded courtyard. The sign in front of the table reads “The Big Ten is the best conference in college basketball.”

Change. My. Mind.

Can’t do it. At least not based on the 2019-20 season.

The argument was made with five Big Ten teams in the final Associated Press Top 25. Double that might have wound up in the NCAA tournament. Not to mention one more for 11 in the top 30 of the Pomeroy College Basketball Ratings. (That’s KenPom’s full official name no one ever actually uses).

Iowa’s Luka Garza was in the running for every national player of the year honor. Garza, Michigan State’s Cassius Winston and Maryland’s Jalen Smith were all AP All-Americans — one on each respective team.

The Big Ten was, in fact, the best conference in college basketball. Maybe not entirely top to bottom given the real struggles in Evanston and Lincoln, Neb., but no conference is perfect. The challengers for the Big Ten’s title as top conference had their warts, too, with Iowa State and Kansas State dragging down the Big 12 and DePaul, even with an improved overall record, still tanking in Big East action.

The Big Ten’s depth last season, at least for its top 12 teams, was evident. Just six games separated the Michigan State-Maryland-Wisconsin trio at the top and Minnesota in the No. 12 spot last season. That was a result of growth from the programs that had occupied the bottom for several years. The old cliché of any team on any night able to win actually carried a little more validity.

Illinois made the biggest leap — going from 21 losses to 21 wins — on the strength of Ayo Dosunmu game-winner after Ayo Dosunmu game-winner and the addition of freshman big man Kofi Cockburn.

Penn State climbed the standings. Rutgers, who was nearly unbeatable at home in the “Trapezoid of Doom,” did the same.

That progress should bring some stability to the Big Ten in coming seasons, too. Penn State’s Pat Chambers would have reached his first NCAA tournament in nine seasons in Happy Valley if it would have happened. Steve Pikiell followed up a 20-win season by landing the Scarlet Knights’ highest-ranked recruit in more than a decade.

Illinois still has some question marks heading into 2020-21 centered around Dosunmu and Cockburn and their testing of the NBA draft waters, but landing the guard duo of Adam Miller and Andre Curbelo extended Brad Underwood’s streak of stacking high-level recruits.

Illinois basketball might not be play-for-a-national-championship level back just yet, but the Illini are certainly operating at a different level than in most of the previous decade after just three seasons with Underwood at the helm.

The rest of the Big Ten is just as stable. Mostly.

Northwestern’s Chris Collins and Minnesota’s Richard Pitino might be feeling a little heat — and Indiana’s Archie Miller always will because it’s Indiana — but Michigan State’s Tom Izzo and Purdue’s Matt Painter aren’t going anywhere. Michigan’s Juwan Howard and Nebraska’s Fred Hoiberg were just hired. Even Iowa’s Fran McCaffery keeps angrily winning.

Go Gophers!!

Must be a homer. What dominance ! One year perhaps. Over the last 20 years who wins the titles, how many different schools get to final 4's. Who puts more players in the NBA. What a hack.

Who puts more teams in the tourney every year? That is a better test of conference strength.

Not to mention one more for 11 in the top 30 of the Pomeroy College Basketball Ratings. (That’s KenPom’s full official name no one ever actually uses).

His “full official name“ is Pomeroy? Not Ken Pomeroy?

Who puts more teams in the tourney every year? That is a better test of conference strength.
The ACC has put in 397 appearances the Big 10-306. The have more titles. Just in the last decade they have had 5 elite programs, we come nowhere near that.

The ACC has put in 397 appearances the Big 10-306. The have more titles. Just in the last decade they have had 5 elite programs, we come nowhere near that.
since when? just for the sake of making your point the date would be good

Not to mention one more for 11 in the top 30 of the Pomeroy College Basketball Ratings. (That’s KenPom’s full official name no one ever actually uses).

His “full official name“ is Pomeroy? Not Ken Pomeroy?
The official name of the rating service.

And they have 3-4 cheating programs. Take away the appearances and Titles* that they bought and what do you have? You can’t despise cheating, but then brag about the results they obtain.

And they have 3-4 cheating programs. Take away the appearances and Titles* that they bought and what do you have? You can’t despise cheating, but then brag about the results they obtain.
Said it before , i can not stand how those blue bloods conduct themselves but the results on the court speak for themselves. Look at the Gauntlet that UVA has to go through. Duke, Florida State have not been caught of anything. Louisville was stripped of their title under their cheating coach at the time but is now clear under Mack.Cuse paid their penalty LIKE WE DID. MSU has hidden sexual predators, convicted. Michigan cheated huge, then cleaned up. Indiana cheated, Illinois cheated. Not bragging about it . They simply have had a higher rated conference, more talent, more hall of fame coaches. You act like i like it ! I would love for us to have the success UVA has, i would love to see Purdue get to a final 4, Indiana to return to dominance but i have never supported lies. The writer lied.

Said it before , i can not stand how those blue bloods conduct themselves but the results on the court speak for themselves. Look at the Gauntlet that UVA has to go through. Duke, Florida State have not been caught of anything. Louisville was stripped of their title under their cheating coach at the time but is now clear under Mack.Cuse paid their penalty LIKE WE DID. MSU has hidden sexual predators, convicted. Michigan cheated huge, then cleaned up. Indiana cheated, Illinois cheated. Not bragging about it . They simply have had a higher rated conference, more talent, more hall of fame coaches. You act like i like it ! I would love for us to have the success UVA has, i would love to see Purdue get to a final 4, Indiana to return to dominance but i have never supported lies. The writer lied.
The writer was talking about specifically last season. Which conference was deeper last year?

The writer was talking about specifically last season. Which conference was deeper last year?
Your right but what dominance. And to say McCaffery keeps winning, by what measure. We disagree. No big deal. From a recruiting standpoint not even getting the best players. I disagree with him, i did not see dominance but of course we all have our own standard.

They don't if it was accomplished by cheating. Did you alter the stats for all of the UNC cheating, fraud class system in place since the 90's? Did you remove Duke's appearances due to their cheating?

Just to give some perspective on this, if you were to remove all of the tournament appearances of UNC for the period in which they were cheating, you would remove 36% of their historical count of tournament appearances.

Last edited:

Your right but what dominance. And to say McCaffery keeps winning, by what measure. We disagree. No big deal. From a recruiting standpoint not even getting the best players. I disagree with him, i did not see dominance but of course we all have our own standard.
In terms of potential NCAA selections, they were dominant from a relative stand point. Again, which conference was better last year? I agree dominance probably too strong of word, but hard to argue they were not top to bottom the best conference this last season.

In terms of potential NCAA selections, they were dominant from a relative stand point. Again, which conference was better last year? I agree dominance probably too strong of word, but hard to argue they were not top to bottom the best conference this last season.
Agree that top to bottom that it is true. When i think of dominant i think of 4 top 10 teams that earn 2 number one seeds , another at 2 and 2 at 3-4.

Someone remind me of the last time the B1G won the national championship.

Someone remind me of the last time the B1G won the national championship.
MSU 2000.

Lots of runner-up finishes since then, but haven’t been able to seal the deal. Can’t claim being best conference until you get that monkey off the back.

The debate over which conference is the best is always an annoying one. So we decide which one is the best...then what?

For what it's worth, I don't see how anybody could consider the Big 10 the dominant conference in college basketball. It might have been the most competitive league last year from top to bottom as the writer said. But the top was not particularly strong. You could argue that the ACC (even with UNC being dreadful) was better at the very top. The Big East might have been better at the very top. The Big 12 was definitely better at the top.

I know we are in Big 10 country and extremely provincial in nature, so we have to swell up with pride and hype up the thing that we belong too. The Big 10 is a terrific league, with awesome coaches, very good players and strong tradition. But the notion that it's dominant is a fallacy

Top Bottom