Richard Pitino: P.J. Fleck is Doing a ‘phenomenal’ Job with Gophers Football

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Paul:

Richard Pitino is definitely not a fan of moving the schedule up earlier and earlier every year. To the Minnesota basketball coach, right now is football season, and he’s enjoying the undefeated start of P.J. Fleck’s Gopher football team.

“I think what P.J. has done now going into his third year is phenomenal,” said Pitino at Big Ten Media Day to The Sports Bank.

“What I’ve always admired about him is he has a plan, he’s sticking to it, he’s confident in it. You’re seeing it, sometimes the wins come last.”

https://www.thesportsbank.net/colle...doing-a-phenomenal-job-with-gophers-football/

Go Gophers!!

Pitino attempting to distract columnists to look at PJ.

If anything, complimenting PJ's success in only his 3rd year would only further highlight the "lack" of success achieved by him now going into his 7th. Can't a coach just compliment another coach?

If anything, complimenting PJ's success in only his 3rd year would only further highlight the "lack" of success achieved by him now going into his 7th. Can't a coach just compliment another coach?

I thought my sarcasm level was pretty high! Apparently not enough.

Two NCAA appearances are not a lack of success... And last year's 6-6, just make a bowl game, is not overwhelmingly successful for PJ.

We can all spin things. Both of our coaches have a bright future.

I quite like Pitino, he is far more interesting and honest than most coaches. I hope he succeeds.

I ma ok with Fleck as well. Yes, he is flaky but maybe that is what Minnesota needs. I may be wrong but I don`t think Fleck will leave if he gets a chance.

I quite like Pitino, he is far more interesting and honest than most coaches. I hope he succeeds.

I ma ok with Fleck as well. Yes, he is flaky but maybe that is what Minnesota needs. I may be wrong but I don`t think Fleck will leave if he gets a chance.

I'm not sure "flaky" is the right word choice here. PJ and his wife do a ton of charity work and give back to the community. He supports other areas of the university including the band. His team has the highest GPA and academic success rate of any football team in our lifetimes. That doesn't sound like "flaky" to me. That sounds like he is delivering on what he preaches.

Maybe you were thinking "corny" instead of "flaky"? I can see some staid Minnesotans calling him corny, but flaky applies to Lou Holtz, not PJ Fleck.

I, for one, am really high on all of our programs right now. I was a Fleck doubter, but he's changed my mind. Glad to be wrong about him. As far as Pitino, I wasn't sold on him until after his first season. Realized he was a clear upgrade over Tubby Smith. Since then, Pitino has shown he can field a Top 15 program if things go our way. To me, that says a lot about Pitino's capabilities. Really happy with both programs (and all the other Gophers teams for that matter)

I'm not sure "flaky" is the right word choice here. PJ and his wife do a ton of charity work and give back to the community. He supports other areas of the university including the band. His team has the highest GPA and academic success rate of any football team in our lifetimes. That doesn't sound like "flaky" to me. That sounds like he is delivering on what he preaches.

Maybe you were thinking "corny" instead of "flaky"? I can see some staid Minnesotans calling him corny, but flaky applies to Lou Holtz, not PJ Fleck.

I was thinking of the Merriam Webster definition:

Definition of flaky (Entry 2 of 2)
1: markedly odd or unconventional : offbeat, wacky

But a quick google search does show negative connotations to the term flaky. FWIW, I don't see Fleck as corny- to me that implies a stereotypical over the top old school persona (Jerry Kill was corny). Anyways I guess I should have used 'unconventional" instead of "flaky".

I was thinking of the Merriam Webster definition:

Definition of flaky (Entry 2 of 2)
1: markedly odd or unconventional : offbeat, wacky

But a quick google search does show negative connotations to the term flaky. FWIW, I don't see Fleck as corny- to me that implies a stereotypical over the top old school persona (Jerry Kill was corny). Anyways I guess I should have used 'unconventional" instead of "flaky".

All good. I guess when I think of "flaky" I think of people who can't be trusted to follow through on their word, break plans, speak out of both sides of their mouths, etc.

All good. I guess when I think of "flaky" I think of people who can't be trusted to follow through on their word, break plans, speak out of both sides of their mouths, etc.

Yes, your take was similar to other definitions and more prevalent than mine (I had to look for it).

I think of seeing excessive dandruff in one’s hair, which I thought was a poor description for Fleck.

I, for one, am really high on all of our programs right now. I was a Fleck doubter, but he's changed my mind. Glad to be wrong about him. As far as Pitino, I wasn't sold on him until after his first season. Realized he was a clear upgrade over Tubby Smith. Since then, Pitino has shown he can field a Top 15 program if things go our way. To me, that says a lot about Pitino's capabilities. Really happy with both programs (and all the other Gophers teams for that matter)

When you say "clear upgrade over Tubby Smith", are you thinking in terms of qualifying for the NCAA tournament, winning B1G games, or winning games in general?

When you say "clear upgrade over Tubby Smith", are you thinking in terms of qualifying for the NCAA tournament, winning B1G games, or winning games in general?

I mean after winning the NIT with the talent he had showed me he was better than Tubby. I thought the team looked a lot more fluid and organized under Pitino than they ever did under Tubby

Oh, oh.......here we go!

I also want to go on record and note that I did not start it. I responded to a comment making a comparison that I did not believe was supported by available data, and asked the poster to substantiate the claim.

I mean after winning the NIT with the talent he had showed me he was better than Tubby. I thought the team looked a lot more fluid and organized under Pitino than they ever did under Tubby

So looking more "fluid and organized" means he is a "clear upgrade," despite on court results being demonstrably worse?

Two NCAA appearances are not a lack of success... And last year's 6-6, just make a bowl game, is not overwhelmingly successful for PJ.

We can all spin things. Both of our coaches have a bright future.

40-70 is a lack of success. Iam still all in but need to see a bunch of 13-7 seasons to see that we actually earn a top 25 program status level. I would call that a success. If we get to year 10 without a conference title, even one , i would not call it a success. I also never compare it to football. Football is much more difficult to build a power. In hoops i have a dozen examples of guys that built really good programs, some of those elite. Of course it goes back to how each person defines elite, success and so on. In my world,40-70 is miles away from good. Hell, i think .500 is average. Elite is conference titles, multiple. Big winning numbers in the tournament, final 4, national title. All of that is just me. Not mocking anyone else for thinking 9-11 is really good.

40-70 is a lack of success. Iam still all in but need to see a bunch of 13-7 seasons to see that we actually earn a top 25 program status level. I would call that a success. If we get to year 10 without a conference title, even one , i would not call it a success. I also never compare it to football. Football is much more difficult to build a power. In hoops i have a dozen examples of guys that built really good programs, some of those elite. Of course it goes back to how each person defines elite, success and so on. In my world,40-70 is miles away from good. Hell, i think .500 is average. Elite is conference titles, multiple. Big winning numbers in the tournament, final 4, national title. All of that is just me. Not mocking anyone else for thinking 9-11 is really good.

Oh, oh..........here we go!

DID YOU KNOW RICHARD PITINO HAS 40 WINS AND 70 LOSSES WHILE COACHING IN THE BIG 10??????

DID YOU KNOW BUILT DEFINES THAT RECORD AS A LACK OF SUCCESS???

Your lying again. I have pointed out on several occasions what i think he has done well. Compliments for great game plans in many games, win or lose. Said this is the best staff he has put together, said recruiting is a strength. Have posted this many times. Simply not interested in only handing out praise like he is some sort of coaching superstar without actual proof. I hope he proves it to me by having big time conference records, conference titles, final 4's. He has actually had higher ranked classes than programs that got those things done. Oh yes, those programs also had horrific injuries.

Your lying again. I have pointed out on several occasions what i think he has done well. Compliments for great game plans in many games, win or lose. Said this is the best staff he has put together, said recruiting is a strength. Have posted this many times. Simply not interested in only handing out praise like he is some sort of coaching superstar without actual proof. I hope he proves it to me by having big time conference records, conference titles, final 4's. He has actually had higher ranked classes than programs that got those things done. Oh yes, those programs also had horrific injuries.

Nope, the only one being dishonest is you, built. You cant help yourself from taking shot after shot.

How many of your posts recite RP's conference record? Why do you feel the need to repeat it darn near daily? Do you get paid for posting it?

Nope, the only one being dishonest is you, built. You cant help yourself from taking shot after shot.

How many of your posts recite RP's conference record? Why do you feel the need to repeat it darn near daily? Do you get paid for posting it?

You put caps on at EVERY TURN. Simply not true and you ignore the positive things i take note of. Always say it is my opinion. If you do not like it, do not read it.

Top Bottom