Reusse rips Gopher fball, says we'll never win BT title, no one under 60 should care

Reusse, doesn't get a rise out of me anymore, my mind shuts down every time I try to read something he writes. I'd love to see the Gophers over achieve this season just to irritate him.

Feel the same. It's the same old tired shtick every single time. Patrick is a one-trick pony, always has been. Hard to take that very seriously.

Reusse is a smart guy, with a good turn of phrase and occasional sharp insights, but he's always been a downer, a sourpuss. The Gophers looked damned good in the bowl game and almost pulled it out. Kill will have his shot - and the jury is out at this point. I'm cautiously optimistic. If not, Kill will follow Tubby into retirement.

Reusse is half as smart as he thinks he is. Turn a good phrase, when did he ever. And sharp insights, again when? He has used an old memory from here, a game from there and tied to something. He is a smart a$$ with an ego. He is an angry alcoholic and never made it out of the 15th market. I do not read his columns, nor do I listen to him on radio. If he ever got out of the press box, and check those in the stands he would find more 28-35 year olds. And I am also impressed with the number of women.

For to say no one, and never he has set the bar. We need to foist him on those words.

Impartial Pear Shaped Pat? Good or Bad Nickname? I saw him on the Sports Show and it looks like he may have lost some weight, starting to look like a pear.

Impartial Pear Shaped Pat? Good or Bad Nickname? I saw him on the Sports Show and it looks like he may have lost some weight, starting to look like a pear.

This probably is not good news as I have him #1 in my dead pool. C'mon fat patti, pack it back on. The beer and chips are closer than you think.

Haha. Thanks for the advice, Parski. I was just going for some laughs, you guys.

Unlike most here, I generally like Reusse. I think he can be a very good writer when he wants to be, and other than drooling old Sid, he's been around longer than anyone in this town. I don't understand his obsession with getting a rise out of Gopher football fans - I figured this was coming, since he and Mackey spent about 20 minutes on their show last week saying basically the same thing. It's just weird.

That said, the opinion that the Gophers will never again win a Big Ten title isn't just his. I've heard the same opinion from a number of other people, including long time fans of the program. While Reusse doesn't delve into it here, preferring just to use the column as an excuse to agitate, there are a number of reasons why it could very well be the case. The main line of thinking is that the game has simply changed too much and the negatives surrounding the U as well as the changes to the Big Ten make it increasingly difficult for Minnesota to compete at that level. The advantages have clearly moved in favor of southern schools in terms of recruiting, leaving fewer top flight players who will play at a northern tier school, and those that will are going to favor traditional football powers, leaving a ever-shrinking pool of talent for teams like Minnesota to compete for. Combine that with the increase in the size of the conference and the addition of the championship game, and it's hard to see too many paths for the U to get to that point.

It's not coaching, and it's not facilities. It's the changed nature of big time college football and some of the built-in disadvantages we have here.

For the record, I've been a Gopher fan since I was a little kid, and I always will be, but that doesn't mean I'm not a realist.

Reusse is a smart guy, with a good turn of phrase and occasional sharp insights, but he's always been a downer, a sourpuss. The Gophers looked damned good in the bowl game and almost pulled it out. Kill will have his shot - and the jury is out at this point. I'm cautiously optimistic. If not, Kill will follow Tubby into retirement.

Today he was talking about that university needed to keep trying until they found the right coaches for the football and basketball programs. I think he's optimistic and writes things to upset people. That being said, he's not someone who loathes Minnesota or wants them to fail.

Other than the idea that Gopher football will NEVER win (I hate using that word, it's so easy to throw out there and impossible to prove), I don't think Reusse is that far off in his article. I'll always be a Gopher fan because I am loyal, but I can't say I would encourage a future child of mine to root for the Gophers. If my child liked to participate in and watch sports as much as I do, I would hope they would get a more balanced amount of pleasure/pain from their chosen team than I have gotten. To be over 30 and to have never seen a big time bowl game, much less just one Big Ten title is not cool. The fact that Iowa has had at least 4-5 of these types of seasons and Wisconsin has probably had 6-7, makes it painful at best and infuriating at worst. Don't get me wrong, I'd do my best to steer them away from the Badgers or Hawkeyes, but I wouldn't actively encourage them to choose the Gophers.

I believe things can change, but I'd be lying if I said I am as confident that things will change now as I was when I was 20. I do think one of the major challenges in building Gopher football is trying to get people who gave up on Gopher football after 10,15, 20, etc years of following it to get back on the bandwagon again. One 10-3 season won't do it at this point, it will take multiple seasons of 10-3 or better.

Today he was talking about that university needed to keep trying until they found the right coaches for the football and basketball programs. I think he's optimistic and writes things to upset people. That being said, he's not someone who loathes Minnesota or wants them to fail.

So why not bash the professional franchises and tell people to QUIT paying such outlandish prices for tickets for the vikqueen, twinkies, t-pukers and wild franzhises that have literally about the same chance of being relevant as the Gopher Football Program. The vikqueen are one knee injury to their total offense machine away for being in a position of merely contending with Detroit for lack of relevance in their nfl division. Or, the twinkies...you know that franchise that got the new ball park and promptly startied being totally out of it by the end of June. They have their 25 million dollar man who sometimes misses entirely too many games. The wild? The owners and players of the nhl are the greediest and most foolish owners and players in pro sports. And the t-pukers? I'm sure Glenn Taylor will be demanding a rehab of the Target Center. And...his team is NEVER going to win a championship.

So, when this reuse character finally rips even-handedly on the much less than meaningful professional sports franchises compared to the way he rips on Gopher Football then, and ONLY then will we realize just how: "...optimistic and (that he) writes those same things (only) to upset..." the professional sports fans and OWNERS. Then we will finally understand this reuse character and understand that: "...he' not someone who loathes Minnesota ( the wild, the twinkies, the vikqueen and the t-pukers)...

Personally, I think you are going to have to work a lot harder in defending this reuse character against charges that he is anything but a misanthrope...a mere sociopath of a human being when it comes to his treatment of the University of Minnesota Football program vs. the way he kisses up to the owners of the pro sports franchises by NOT bashing them to the same extent as Gopher Football there is NO defense for that reuse character...NO excuse can be allowed. He is ...what he is. His record speaks for itself...His bashing of Gopher Football is MUCH more excessive than his bashing of the professional sports franchises and their players and owners and much less than acceptable results in the standings within their various leagues.

; 0 )

I don't know what a full page ad costs at the Strib, but I would certainly chip in.
" Hey Reusse, we love Gopher football! So " F " off !"
GOPHER FOOTBALL FANS........

I don't know what a full page ad costs at the Strib, but I would certainly chip in.

Like the idea, but loathe the idea of giving the Strib even one dollar.

You know Ruppert: that is a pretty good thought.

Maybe we could just buy a little time on kstp 1500 with the stipulation that Reusse would have to DO the commercial himself. Or, maybe buy spots on KQ with Tommy B, KFAN with barrerio (sp? who cares?) and even have mike max read something similar on the good neighbor.

We need a FULL media blitz taking this jerk Reusse to task. Of course, we should also go after barrerio (sp? who cares?) mike max and maybe we should give doogie a little respect and request that he should come up with a scoop disclosing what a creep that Reusse character is... I'll bet that for a couple hundred bucks we could commission the old doogster to create a real scoop on the old Fulda-flop...

wren

; 0 )

Welcome back Wren!

... His record speaks for itself...His bashing of Gopher Football is MUCH more excessive than his bashing of the professional sports franchises and their players and owners and much less than acceptable results in the standings within their various leagues.

; 0 )

First, welcome back Wren. I mean that sincerely because I have always liked your football insights.

Second, I'm glad to see a rant against PR. I have heard him say, twice, that he hates football as a sport. He hates everything about football. The only pure sport, the only sport that should be allowed in PR's little mind is baseball.

PR is a bitter, old drunk who takes out his anger on the Gophers. The only reasonable response to PR is to tell the station/newspaper you won't listen/subscribe because of him. Help drive the old SOB into retirement.

Thanks diefirma. And, thanks for recalling me as wren. That was one of my first monikers...and probably always will be the one that "got away." I wish I could just change my walrus moniker for wren...but...that doesn't work.

I agree totally about Reusse. But, you have to promise me one thing difirma: NEVER let a ba$her like that jerk get you down!

In the mean while, IF he wants to throw stones at we Gopher Fans...let him bring it on. We may not have the power of the press...or the radio air waves...but: we have WORLD WIDE WEB at our disposal. We WILL have some fun at his expense if he thinks he's all THAT much. And...IF he spends too much time trying to bash our Gophers and Gopher Fans...pretty soon his editors are going to start trashing the trash he tries to write

And, no matter what happens...he is still stuck being EXACTLY what he has become...

; 0 )

If we were really committed, we could really bog down his radio show. We could simply call in, lie to the producer pretending to be on topic, and just continually bombard him with insults about his Gopher Football complex. Sure, they'd probably cut us off but it's not like they have a deluge of callers on that second rate show...we could own/ruin it if we wanted.

Pat has been correct about gopher fb for 40 ys why should he change his prognostications?

The best part about this is that, for a guy who's covered sports forever, Reusse is almost always wrong when he makes grand pronouncements. Maybe this is the year.

Pat has been correct about gopher fb for 40 ys why should he change his prognostications?

Predicting that Gopher football will be poor & it resulting that way doesn't exactly make you Jimmy the Greek....

Top Bottom