Reusse column: The right man for the job is out there - U needs to keep looking

A rare GREAT piece of writing from the man. How hard would it be for him to adopt this tone once a week or something?

As much as I dislike Reusse overall, I have to agree with him here. There is absolutely no reason the University of Minnesota can't be competitive in football. For years and years, we were strapped by having to play in the Metrodome and having outdated practice facilities. But the university has put millions of dollars into upgrading the overall facilities and now have one of the shiniest new stadiums complete with all the amenities. In other words, the resources necessary for a successful program are in place. Now it's just a matter of finding a good coach to pilot the ship.

He used the word 'our' when referring to the Gophers.

Wow! He maybe just more bitter than most with regard to the team being bad since the late 60s.

GM

I refuse to click, but did he mention that it's important the new coach is sincere?

He used the word 'our' when referring to the Gophers.

Wow! He maybe just more bitter than most with regard to the team being bad since the late 60s.

GM

Reading between the lines of both this column and his previous one, it's pretty obvious that Reusse bleeds marooon & gold if you cut him deep enough (have to get thru all that fat). Granted, he has seen over 4 decades of futility & ineptitude, and that's enough to make anyone bitter.

Hopefully if the U does make a good hire, Reusse and the other columnists in this town will give him a fair shake. It might atone for how they treated the new guy's predecessors.

I generally like Reusse more than most here, but this almost looks like a pro forma mea culpa. I would never suggest he lacks sincerity, but it's hard to take him seriously after the constant berating of Brewster.

Top Bottom