Remember Doug Wrenn?

Who could ever forget Doug?

He was "the guy" we needed to have that year, and quickly vaulted to the top of the "we're glad we never got this guy" list.

The article sure leads you to believe he had pretty bad representation, though.

Interesting note that it sounds like he played the Gophers coaching staff into getting Burleson a scholarship. It was widely assumed that they were doing the "sign the buddy to get the star" approach, and then Wrenn said, "No thanks" to the Gophers.

I remember him being quoted, walking out of Williams Arena on the night of Midnight Madness saying, "Rest assured, people of Minnesota." Soon after, he was signing for Georgia Tech.

I do remember the recruitment of Wrenn and desperately wanting to come here. Burleson progressed over time and became a very nice player. Sadly there are a lot more stories out there similar to that of Wrenn's than Burleson's. Seems these kids go "all-in" on basketball....

What ever happened to Wesley Washington? It was a different set of circumstances but, at the time, he was the guy we had to have.

He was "the guy" we needed to have that year, and quickly vaulted to the top of the "we're glad we never got this guy" list.

Interesting note that it sounds like he played the Gophers coaching staff into getting Burleson a scholarship. It was widely assumed that they were doing the "sign the buddy to get the star" approach, and then Wrenn said, "No thanks" to the Gophers.

wrenn got his buddy burleson a scholarship to the 'u'...and burleson has been paying him back ever since...

there are many disturbing aspects to doug wrenn's life, as depicted in the seattle newspaper article...but one aspect stands out as potentially the most horrifying to minnesota gopher fans...:eek::eek::eek:

here is the quote (and copy and paste) from the article:

With Wrenn's urging, Burleson left Seattle after high school and played basketball at Minnesota. The Gophers thought they would receive both O'Dea High teammates but Wrenn backed out once Burleson secured a scholarship.

michael floyd pulled this same stunt once john nance accepted his scholarship to the 'u'

seantrel henderson has taken notice, too...he may wait for jd pride to announce his intention to attend the 'u'...then, he will announce which out-of-state school he will attend...:eek::eek::eek:

history does tend to repeat itself...
floyd and henderson may have learned well at the foot of wrenn, at least in the sense of taking care of your less-gifted buddies...:eek::eek::eek:

What ever happened to Wesley Washington? It was a different set of circumstances but, at the time, he was the guy we had to have.

Wesley ended up playing for Oregon State University, averaging under double-digits his senior year. I saw him play against WSU and he really didn't seem like the athletic player we had all been hearing about.

wrenn got his buddy burleson a scholarship to the 'u'...and burleson has been paying him back ever since...

there are many disturbing aspects to doug wrenn's life, as depicted in the seattle newspaper article...but one aspect stands out as potentially the most horrifying to minnesota gopher fans...:eek::eek::eek:

here is the quote (and copy and paste) from the article:

With Wrenn's urging, Burleson left Seattle after high school and played basketball at Minnesota. The Gophers thought they would receive both O'Dea High teammates but Wrenn backed out once Burleson secured a scholarship.

michael floyd pulled this same stunt once john nance accepted his scholarship to the 'u'

seantrel henderson has taken notice, too...he may wait for jd pride to announce his intention to attend the 'u'...then, he will announce which out-of-state school he will attend...:eek::eek::eek:

history does tend to repeat itself...
floyd and henderson may have learned well at the foot of wrenn, at least in the sense of taking care of your less-gifted buddies...:eek::eek::eek:

At the time of Doug Wrenn's recuritment, there were strong rumors on the 'hole that Clem had a meeting in Seattle with Wrenn's family that didn't go as planned...think Blue Chips. Not surprisingly, Wrenn ended up someplace else.

I do remember thinking that Burleson would land us Wrenn, but it wasn't like Kevin was a completely off the radar recruit. I think KB's peformance at guard for the "U" was better than much of what we've seen since he graduated...it just wasn't as good as we had seen before that time.

Wesley Washington

Wesley Washington did not have a senior year at Oregon State. He averaged 6.1 ppg in his junior year before getting booted out of the program for academic reasons.

Burelson played some for Charlotte, I can't call a guy that gets a cup of coffee in the NBA a stiff.

I remember him and I hate this story! I don't know if he is guilty or not but it sounds like he was convicted on the testimony of the couple in the car. I hate eye-witness id! It is absolutely the worst...

I remember reading the gopherhole way back then when he was being recruited by us. I think it was just before I bought my own personal computer. I went into work on Sunday night just to go to this site to see how March Madness went and what Wrenn had to say. I also remember being pumped thinking we got him after his comments. My user name back then was Chip.

Talk about going back into time. It was my first "professional" job and I had a lot of time to follow the Gophers and NCAA hoops. I also remember someone used to say "In Clem I Trust". Damn, I bet that person won't claim that slogan. I also remember being glued to this site the summer CJ beat that stripper with a phone book and following the collapse of the Boshee recruitment when Kansas got involved.

Top Bottom