Red Zone TO and Missed Bunny FG

gopherlaney

Reaction score
Cost us both the Purdue and Iowa games.

MBS off the chest, Mo fumbles when we were rolling. Trickett also missed an easy FG 1H of each game.

I get frustrated by the conservative play calling like the rest of you, but riding MO and the D is our best chance to win this year. This will change in future years with AK8’s development.

Program is in good hands.

Cost us both the Purdue and Iowa games.

MBS off the chest, Mo fumbles when we were rolling. Trickett also missed an easy FG 1H of each game.

I get frustrated by the conservative play calling like the rest of you, but riding MO and the D is our best chance to win this year. This will change in future years with AK8’s development.

Program is in good hands.
I agree 100%. Watched the game with a friend and therefore haven't been on GH until now, and this is the sentiment I expected to see, honestly. Coaches put them in a position to win, and unfortunately the players made some critical mistakes. If you wanna win, make that FG in the first half, don't fumble at the 5 yard line, don't miss a wide open receiver in the first half, don't throw a pick in their end. I'm a little surprised to see the vitriol towards the coaches today... But hey, it's an internet message board so nothing should be too shocking I suppose.

I agree 100%. Watched the game with a friend and therefore haven't been on GH until now, and this is the sentiment I expected to see, honestly. Coaches put them in a position to win, and unfortunately the players made some critical mistakes. If you wanna win, make that FG in the first half, don't fumble at the 5 yard line, don't miss a wide open receiver in the first half, don't throw a pick in their end. I'm a little surprised to see the vitriol towards the coaches today... But hey, it's an internet message board so nothing should be too shocking I suppose.
Thank you for posting this. Reading some of the comments I honestly wondered if I was watching a different game yesterday. Our coaches aren’t flawless, but we absolutely were in a position to win that game and had multiple self-inflicted wounds that had nothing to do with coaching. We also put up 400 yards against one of the best defenses in the country. Did people really want us to throw the ball more when Mo was shredding the Iowa defense? And people are ripping PJ for punting on 4th and 1 when he got torn to shreds for going for it against Purdue. Gotta love the benefit of hindsight I guess. It’s just weird to me because even a lot of people who are usually good level headed posters around here are throwing out some crazy takes.

Thank you for posting this. Reading some of the comments I honestly wondered if I was watching a different game yesterday. Our coaches aren’t flawless, but we absolutely were in a position to win that game and had multiple self-inflicted wounds that had nothing to do with coaching. We also put up 400 yards against one of the best defenses in the country. Did people really want us to throw the ball more when Mo was shredding the Iowa defense? And people are ripping PJ for punting on 4th and 1 when he got torn to shreds for going for it against Purdue. Gotta love the benefit of hindsight I guess. It’s just weird to me because even a lot of people who are usually good level headed posters around here are throwing out some crazy takes.
It’s from frustration to losing to IA 8 times in a row. And knowing without Mo next year we are screwed since we are terrible at the passing game and our coaches have shown no ability to improve that part of our team.

I agree with the takes in this thread and posted something similar in the post game thread. It was a really frustrating loss. Now two years in a row very much outplayed Iowa and found a way to lose. Still, the fire Fleck and we are doomed crowd are all lathered up. Fat Pat is belly laughing stirring things up which is what he’s been reduced to. Look, we had the hopes of our season dashed by the eventual West champions three of the last four years. Wisky once and Iowa twice. A win in any one of them and we are either the West champion or playing for a shot at winning it in the final game of the season. Many of our upper classmen key players were not highly recruited guys…. Mo, CrAB, Tanner. PJ has recruited better, we really have just one more hill to climb to be best in the West. Wisky, Iowa and others do not scare me. Yes. The schedule is tougher next year. But pull your heads out of the snowbank and see things for what they are. The future is much brighter than the past.

I'd argue the Mo fumble is directly related to the coaching staff. That was Mo's 10th consecutive carry and 14th of that drive. That's insane. He was clearly exhausted, you could see that on the next drive when he took himself out which resulted in a carry by both Potts and Williams before the INT.

Then the decision to run with Potts and Williams put AK in a pressure situation where he probably felt like he needed to make a play to keep the game-winning drive going.

The players are certainly not immune from some of the blame. But the players made mistakes in the middle of plays. Decisions, play calls, etc are not something coaches have to do in a split second. There's no excuse for some of the things the coaches did or didn't do.

I agree with the takes in this thread and posted something similar in the post game thread. It was a really frustrating loss. Now two years in a row very much outplayed Iowa and found a way to lose. Still, the fire Fleck and we are doomed crowd are all lathered up. Fat Pat is belly laughing stirring things up which is what he’s been reduced to. Look, we had the hopes of our season dashed by the eventual West champions three of the last four years. Wisky once and Iowa twice. A win in any one of them and we are either the West champion or playing for a shot at winning it in the final game of the season. Many of our upper classmen key players were not highly recruited guys…. Mo, CrAB, Tanner. PJ has recruited better, we really have just one more hill to climb to be best in the West. Wisky, Iowa and others do not scare me. Yes. The schedule is tougher next year. But pull your heads out of the snowbank and see things for what they are. The future is much brighter than the past.
It’s so funny every year people are like we blew our golden opportunity, we are losing all these players, we’ll be terrible for years, we’ll never be in this position again.

I'd argue the Mo fumble is directly related to the coaching staff. That was Mo's 10th consecutive carry and 14th of that drive. That's insane. He was clearly exhausted, you could see that on the next drive when he took himself out which resulted in a carry by both Potts and Williams before the INT.

Then the decision to run with Potts and Williams put AK in a pressure situation where he probably felt like he needed to make a play to keep the game-winning drive going.

The players are certainly not immune from some of the blame. But the players made mistakes in the middle of plays. Decisions, play calls, etc are not something coaches have to do in a split second. There's no excuse for some of the things the coaches did or didn't do.
I mean Mo was absolutely gashing them that drive, I can’t blame the coaches for leaning on one of the best backs in the country and expecting that he will hold onto the ball. Without Mo getting those carries we likely aren’t in position to have a backbreaking fumble in the first place. If you want to blame the coaching staff for not having other options besides Mo, sure I could buy that, but Iowa had no answer for Mo there until he fumbled. And if Mo doesn’t fumble we likely aren’t in a position where we throw that interception.

I guess I’m just not sure what else the coaches should have done - not fed Mo and likely end up punting?

I'd argue the Mo fumble is directly related to the coaching staff. That was Mo's 10th consecutive carry and 14th of that drive. That's insane. He was clearly exhausted…
The reason he fumbled was that he tried to reach the ball out to the first down line, not exhaustion.

I mean Mo was absolutely gashing them that drive, I can’t blame the coaches for leaning on one of the best backs in the country and expecting that he will hold onto the ball. Without Mo getting those carries we likely aren’t in position to have a backbreaking fumble in the first place. If you want to blame the coaching staff for not having other options besides Mo, sure I could buy that, but Iowa had no answer for Mo there until he fumbled. And if Mo doesn’t fumble we likely aren’t in a position where we throw that interception.

I guess I’m just not sure what else the coaches should have done - not fed Mo and likely end up punting?
Did Evans even play yesterday? He had a pretty decent game last game but I don't remember seeing him, why not play him and spell Mo some?

Did Evans even play yesterday? He had a pretty decent game last game but I don't remember seeing him, why not play him and spell Mo some?
Probably because he's the 4th string running back. He looked good against NW's 2nd stringers.

By no means saying to not lean on him there. But there were opportunities for Athan to keep the ball once or twice. Or run a bootleg. I just don’t think running him into the ground is best either. He was tired and was careless with the ball. I don’t think that was coincidence.

By no means saying to not lean on him there. But there were opportunities for Athan to keep the ball once or twice. Or run a bootleg. I just don’t think running him into the ground is best either. He was tired and was careless with the ball. I don’t think that was coincidence.
It would be interesting to see if posters who now say it's good to run Mo 14 times on the drive are the same ones who were incensed two years ago because we ran him too much against OSU and he was injured?

The reason he fumbled was that he tried to reach the ball out to the first down line, not exhaustion.
Watching the reply I don't think he was reaching with the ball. He got drilled and was lunging forward. To quote Mo himself:

"I wanted to fall forward, and it popped out,'' Ibrahim said.

Hats off to the Hawkeye defense. They bent but did not break and got 2 turnovers.

Athan did pull it and keep the ball on a 3rd & 3, and then ran for 19 yards!

Why not do that ... say maybe twice instead of once, in a 16 play drive? They did also attempt one pass on 1st & 10, incomplete.

Here is the drive, 16 plays 88 yards, Mo rushed 14 times, one Timeout in the middle:

16 plays, 88 yards, 8:52

1st & 10 at MINN 3
(13:59 - 4th) Mohamed Ibrahim run for 16 yds to the Minn 19 for a 1ST down

1st & 10 at MINN 19
(13:59 - 4th) Mohamed Ibrahim run for 8 yds to the Minn 27

2nd & 2 at MINN 27
(13:59 - 4th) Mohamed Ibrahim run for 4 yds to the Minn 31 for a 1ST down

1st & 10 at MINN 31
(13:59 - 4th) Athan Kaliakmanis pass incomplete

2nd & 10 at MINN 31
(13:59 - 4th) Mohamed Ibrahim run for 7 yds to the Minn 38

3rd & 3 at MINN 38
(13:59 - 4th) Athan Kaliakmanis run for 19 yds to the Iowa 43 for a 1ST down

1st & 10 at IOWA 43
(13:59 - 4th) Mohamed Ibrahim run for 2 yds to the Iowa 41

(9:42 - 4th) Timeout MINNESOTA, clock 09:42

2nd & 8 at IOWA 41
(9:42 - 4th) Mohamed Ibrahim run for 5 yds to the Iowa 36

3rd & 3 at IOWA 36
(9:42 - 4th) Mohamed Ibrahim run for 2 yds to the Iowa 34

4th & 1 at IOWA 34
(9:42 - 4th) Mohamed Ibrahim run for 2 yds to the Iowa 32 for a 1ST down

1st & 10 at IOWA 32
(9:42 - 4th) Mohamed Ibrahim run for 2 yds to the Iowa 30

2nd & 8 at IOWA 30
(9:42 - 4th) Mohamed Ibrahim run for 6 yds to the Iowa 24

3rd & 2 at IOWA 24
(9:42 - 4th) Mohamed Ibrahim run for 5 yds to the Iowa 19 for a 1ST down

1st & 10 at IOWA 19
(9:42 - 4th) Mohamed Ibrahim run for 4 yds to the Iowa 15

2nd & 6 at IOWA 15
(9:42 - 4th) Mohamed Ibrahim run for 2 yds to the Iowa 13

3rd & 4 at IOWA 13
(5:07 - 4th) Mohamed Ibrahim run for 4 yds to the Iowa 9 Mohamed Ibrahim fumbled, recovered by Iowa Deontae Craig

Watching the reply I don't think he was reaching with the ball. He got drilled and was lunging forward. To quote Mo himself:

"I wanted to fall forward, and it popped out,'' Ibrahim said.

Hats off to the Hawkeye defense. They bent but did not break and got 2 turnovers.
Agree, it did not look like he was reaching out with his arm.

Top Bottom